GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
5,693 Posts
You'd be better off with a Ruger 10/22. Easier to modify, mount a scope, and make average shots all day long. Use round nose, standard velocity 40 grain ammo if you plan on eating the squirrel.
I have a 10/22, and have shot a Henry lever action .22. Here are my thoughts:

1) 10/22 is a great semi-auto and functions just like you'd need a basic semi-auto rifle to function. Reliable, accurate, etc.

2) Lever action: It was fun to shoot and I'd love one. BUT, after one range session I was left thinking that it was almost a novelty. The lever action was cool but not something I'd want every time. Finally, the price is much higher for the lever action. If I was going to get a lever action, I'd rather have one in a larger caliber. The one benefit I see from the lever action Henry is I think it can use .22 LR, .22 Long, or .22 Short.
I really like lever actions and think everyone should own one, BUT, for everyday use, if I am only gonna have 1, I’d take the 10-22 any day.

I say this for the same reasons Bill and Rising Phoenix have said.

·
Registered
13,622 Posts
One of the big things for me anymore is length of pull. Many .22 rifles are scaled down for younger shooters. I own several .22's, including a Remington Fieldmaster, Remington Nylon 66, Remington model 34 and a S/W MP .22. I have owned a Marlin 39A and at one time a Ruger 10/22.
If I were squirrel hunting I would choose the Fieldmaster, except it's LOP is too short. But I love slide actions. An autoloader encourages me to shoot too fast, the bolt rifles make staying on target for follow up shots more difficult. The slide action allows me to stay on target.

·
RIP Stan Lee.. . .
17,320 Posts
The 10-22 must be a pretty crappy gun if the main selling point is that you can replace every part with a better one. . . .

:p😛

Time to go hide behind the 🛋
:)

·
Registered
115 Posts
As others have alluded to, I’d go with door #3–Marlin.

I recently got a 10/22 takedown—cause I like takedown guns—and think my Marlins are better shooters. YMMV... .

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
FWIW, I passed on a Nikon scope when I heard that Nikon is no longer in the rifle scope business. I am unsure how well they will stand behind their product guarantees. I went with Vortex for that very reason. Their customer service is absolutely top-notch. Think 180 degrees out from Taurus.

·
Me fail English? That's unpossible
3,697 Posts
Ruger 10/22 will have more aftermarket parts and pieces. If you can find a Marlin 22 that would be pretty cool. I like the Henry as a range plunger also. I have a 10/22 as well as my old Marlin my dad gave me when I was 15. Shoots great. I think Remington has a pretty nice .22LR that is supposed to be good.

·
Huge Member
11,158 Posts
My only previous experience with a Henry lever 22 was someone brought blued one to a rifle class I was teaching 7 or 8 years ago. Had a lot of problems with it.

However I just won a Henry Golden Boy lever 22 and it is impressive. I have a bunch of 10/22s so tend to lean that way. It is high quality and really fun to shoot. The only knock on them is they tend to be expensive IMO. I think the GB MSRPs for $500, the blue ones for $400. I've seen the blue ones for sale around $360. A basic 10/22 is around $200.

Reactions: Glock&Spiel

·
Kydex Crafter
6,366 Posts
You forgot the best .22 LR bolt gun...Ruger Precision Rifle in 22LR. They are amazingly accurate and have threaded barrels for suppressors.......yes they are bolt guns.....unless you need a lot of follow up shots...LOL.....

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
My only previous experience with a Henry lever 22 was someone brought blued one to a rifle class I was teaching 7 or 8 years ago. Had a lot of problems with it.

However I just won a Henry Golden Boy lever 22 and it is impressive. I have a bunch of 10/22s so tend to lean that way. It is high quality and really fun to shoot. The only knock on them is they tend to be expensive IMO. I think the GB MSRPs for $500, the blue ones for $400. I've seen the blue ones for sale around $360. A basic 10/22 is around $200.
Well I think the basic 10/22 is $250-260, and then it goes up from there

·
Huge Member
11,158 Posts
Well I think the basic 10/22 is $250-260, and then it goes up from there
Before the panic you could easily find basic, new 10/22s in my area for slightly less than $200. Who knows what they go for now if you can even find them in stock. It's crazy out there.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts