close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Helping the ROs !!!!

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Sniper 7.62, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Sniper 7.62

Sniper 7.62

THIS IS NOT A FLAME !!
    I would like to say to all who shoot the GSSF matches and any match (IDPA/USPSA)that helping the ROs at the range will make your day and match go faster, Standing around with your hands in your pockets and running your mouth about how slow things are moving does nothing but upset everyone around you and please remember that this is a FAMILY sport so watch what you say and keep it clean, my wife & kids do not need hear it !!!!
    I ask this so that we can all have a good time enjoying the shooting sport we all love to shoot and don't forget all the matches that we go to are by shooter for shooters that are no difreant form you and me so help them out and you might learn something and have fun doing it and some day you to might be an RO IMPO. Thanks Sniper

2. PeaceKeeper

PeaceKeeper

^c I agree with you, it a match where a family can attend and is to be fun for everyone. I enjoy these matches, I have met only great people at them so far.

3. elsolo

elsolo

As a GSSF RO, I really appreciate when fellow shooters help tape the holes on the cardboard targets, that really speeds things up and keeps the line moving as quickly as possible. That and when shooters have read the course description prior to getting up to the firing line, so I don't have to explain it to them.

4. TWIDPA

TWIDPA

I have been a RO at about 10 GSSF matches. I have shot at twice that many and have seen the problems from both sides. Some matches run better than others. Sometimes the weather makes it miserable for everyone.
    I watched as a future ISPC champion shot at a GSSF match and the RO was very new to helping out at matches. I also had a lady ask one of the most seasoned IDPA saftey officer's "which way did the bullet thingy go in the clip thingy?"
    Lots of people from lots of shooting backgrounds in the same place can be a lot of fun and a pain in the neck.
    Have patience...
    T

5. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

You saw someone shot at a GSSF match or they shot at a GSSF match? ;G I'm glad I wasn't there when she asked how "the bullet thingy went into the clip thingy"!

6. 40blaster

40blaster

I always say, " lets shoot our next shooter". Or, "have we shot our last shooter"? A helper RO once replied, "do you want me to go get your big gun or will you use the one your carrying"? So. I've shot about everybody through one of my stages, some more than once.
    Grins.
    Fred

7. GJM89

GJM89

Hey, your a really tough RO, think you could come up and help us in Jackson next year, I'm sure FireGlock would be more then happy to give you a ride.;F ;F ;F

8. mr glock-fl

mr glock-fl

Hi,
    One of the reasons I help at the last 4 matches is because of the Orlando Match.While setting up the 1st Orlando Match I saw how hard and how few are there to help get it going.I've help with far to many matches over the last few(20 Years as FireArms Instructor) to count but I never realized how much mental and physical stress Scott Gilbert, the GSSF Staff and his very few helpers had to go through to make our matches fun!!

When your at my stages I will "remind" those not helping to ethier help paste or be prepared to sit a long time. Most are very helpful but there are always the whiners who are "complaining about how long it takes or why are the RO's shooting and not working?
    "Can't live w/or without them"(would be nice though-or was that Pizza??-NO PB&J'S apply!!

It changes your prespective about shooting and makes me feel more a part of the GSSF Family.There are benifits to helping plus you can met some great people from other clubs--Not to mention try to have a chair avaliable for our One and Only FireGlock ;W ;W

Hope to be at Boone North Carolina and Atlanta with all of you!!

Mike

9. 40blaster

40blaster

GJM89;
    I would but working the Jacksonville match, and others, I have learned that standing around shooters all day and then trying to shoot is BAD and causes low scores. I think the cuncusion causes my eyes to swell and I cannot see the circle on the twentyfive yard target. Reference my 89 the last Jax match. :) I did consider asking about a ride to Richmond but the thought of that much time with FG is scarry.

Fred

10. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

You waited too late Fred, my voice seems to be coming back. It would be a long ride.

11. GJM89

GJM89

Fred,I understand;9 ;9 ;9

12. Front Sight

Front Sight Front Sight

I would like to discourage the use of aluminun cases at the GSSF matches.
    Since the RO's keep brass lets make it worth while for them to volunteer.
    Plus the range won't be littered with aluminum cases.
    Thanks

13. 40blaster

40blaster

And, Front Sight, the people that shoot the rest of the week, at that range, will not have to sort through the Al u mimimun cases trying to find their reloadable cases. We use cheap blue K-Mart tarps, at our club, keep the brass and toss the uchstuff.
    Fred

14. BikerGoddess

BikerGoddess Got hairspray?

What all matches need are a bunch of redheads running the clipboards ;)

My first experience with a GSSF match was as an RO. I was totally confused by the whole process, and I had it explained to me, so I can understand how the new participants must feel.

Perhaps the best solution is to be a good example. If you're with a party, have them tape while you score. Ask those waiting to help. Load your mags before your name is called. Offer to help load if someone doesn't have enough mags with them.

My only hard and fast rule is don't point the damn gun at me ;P

Laura

15. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Hey there young lady, how you doing. Old Pharaoh, DEJ/FL and I will be out your way to shoot in about 3 weeks. We will be sure to say Hi.

16. BikerGoddess

I'll have the clipboard at one of the stages, probably the plates. Guess I should try to get some practice in between now and then...

Be good to see everyone again :)

Laura

17. Pharaoh

Pharaoh

Oh, no! Texas again! And the red head who locks key in cars. Don we will have to be on good behavior for that trip. You no how Red heads are.

Pharaoh;z

18. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Oh, No I can't believe you said that. ;L ;N ;U ;U ;U

19. Pharaoh

Pharaoh

I do like the new hair! ;3

Pharaoh

20. BikerGoddess

Thanks :) Have the top braces off now, but the bottom ones won't come off until May 10 :(

Laura

P.S. I'll be handing my keys off as soon as I get out of the car this time...