close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help!!!?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by pascal, Oct 7, 2006.

1. pascal

pascal

Hello,
    I have within the last two days developed a problem using IE6 on XP Home all updated. While surfing, a page will pop up my download program (Free Download Manager) and then IE's download pop-up to attempt to download the page I want to view instead of displaying it. Doesn't happen all the time but quite often. What did I do wrong and can anyone help? Thanks for any assistance.
    pascal

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

What do you mean free download manager? If you're using the type of program I suspect, my first guess would be spyware.

IGF

3. pascal

pascal

Hello IGF,
    Free Download Manager is a download program that allows you to resume and other stuff. It automatically pops up if I click a download link, and if I hit cancel it let's the IE6 do the download. I've been using for several months with no problems. My current problem is that it will pop up when clicking links to goto other pages, like a forum thread. Again it doesn't happen but 1/4 of the time now. Have Webroot spysweep, spybot and they don't show any items, although Spybot seems to be acting differently?
    pascal

4. pascal

pascal

Hello again,
    I've tried complete Defender/Webroot/CCleaner and Avast in the Admin and Owner accounts in safe mode. No indications of any problems. Deleted Free Download Manager prior to the above. When I click a link I get the download pop-up on numerous occasions. Then it will just load the page normally. Does anybody have any further things I might try to diagnose/correct this? Thanx
    BTW I installed Firefox and it happens intermittently in that also
    pascal

5. Bluzman

Bluzman

You might find a setting in IE's Properties Page that are causing this. If you have XP SP2 use the built-in Popup Blocker.

6. pascal

pascal

It also occurs with Firefox. I can click on a link and it will warn me about downloading, hit cancel, try again (several times) and then it loads the page normally? Now I'm also sometimes getting garbage characters, instead of the page, try refresh and it comes up normal?
    pascal

7. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Maybe it's just a security warning to notify you it's about to download something.Does it have a check box to not show the message again?

8. pascal

pascal

Yes it does.
    pascal

9. TheGreatFuzzMan

TheGreatFuzzMan Glock Addict

Could also be that the download manager is configured to intercept HTML pages and attempt to download them. In download managers i've seen, you can set it to ignore certain file types. Typically HTML/HTM, amongst other common types, are ignored. Maybe those settings were changed? Check into that.

10. pascal

pascal

Hello TheGreatFuzzMan,
    I just don't know!!! I dumped Free Download Manager and it came up with the standard IE6 pop-up. Using Firefox it does the same. It will do it's thing a couple of times and then go through and display the page normally. These are normal pages. I just put in IE7 and haven't seen it yet. Enquiring minds still... and such.
    Thank you kind Sir.
    pascal