Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,
I turned off autoupdates to keep XP3 Service pack from loading. My son-in-law used it and got the blue screen. Today the notice for download arrived. How do I get the upload ready off my toolbar?
Also should I choose to use it, what would be the safest way to ensure that I could delete it and go back to my present state?
Confused and not that computer literate.
Thanks for any help.
pascal

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
control panel > automatic updates > turn off

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
actually,
control panel>security center>automatic updates>turn off

I did a manual update to SP3 before I knew any better, got the BSOD also. I used System Restore to roll back to earlier date SP2. That takes a while, though.

·
Annoying Member
2,201 Posts
Actually he is referring to the Windows Security Center alerts, to turn them off ...

Go to the Control Panel - Security Center, in the Security Center, under Resources, click Change the way Security Center alerts me. In the Alert Settings dialog box, clear the Firewall, Automatic Updates, and/or Virus Protection check boxes, and then click OK.

If you want to totally kill auto updates you need to disable the services “Automatic Updates” AND “Background Intelligent Transfer Service”.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Gentlemen. If I turn the automatic updates off, I'll not get any further update information without going to Microsoft Update site myself and doing it manually. Is this correct. I really just want to skip this particular update.
pascal

·
Annoying Member
2,201 Posts
Thank you Gentlemen. If I turn the automatic updates off, I'll not get any further update information without going to Microsoft Update site myself and doing it manually. Is this correct. I really just want to skip this particular update. pascal
If you do this ... disable the services “Automatic Updates” AND “Background Intelligent Transfer Service”.

... you will not get any updates from M$, you can download and manually install any of them yourself. All of M$ updates can be downloaded from one of the sites listed below …

http://www.softwarepatch.com/

http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/updates/

·
Registered
385 Posts
I did it 2 days ago and am getting all sort of strange screen lock ups (between IE and yahoo messegner of all things). Not really happy, haven't had a chance to un install it yet

·
Registered
673 Posts
Fortunately, no issues here. One desk top and one lap top. Both uses in my business, ACAD, and many heavy engineering programs. Whew. Did hold my breath, tho.

Both machines are high end Dells to run the software.

RC

1 - 12 of 12 Posts