Help with winter carry

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by BLau, Nov 1, 2010.

1. BLau

BLau

Now that it is getting colder, how do you all carry? I normally carry IWB with my Kahr K9 and with a winter coat on, I feel unarmed because I can't get to my weapon in a hurry if something happens. I feel I would be dead if I even made an attempt to unzip my coat. I can't always carry a revolver in my outside pockets because some of my jackets don't have zippered pockets to keep the gun from being exposed or to keep them from falling out. Do you have any suggestions?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  2. G31

G31 Millennium Member

Personally, I don't think it's an issue, as you will always be in a bad position drawing on an already drawn weapon. The only thing you have is surprise at that point. I would worry more about accessing it with one hand, in case you need the other to grab the offender's gun to redirect the shot, or whatever the case may be.

I would carry IWB, like always, and just lift the jacket like you would a t-shirt if the gun is needed. If you wear a long coat, you would have to get it open to give the thief your wallet anyway, so use it as an advantage.

If none of this works for you, you are really stuck with only two options: carry in the external coat/pants pocket, or ankle carry it. Everything else means getting into the coat, and even that may be faster than ankle carry. Reaching into a breast pocket may set off alarms with the BG, as he may think you're going for a shoulder holster.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010

3. hybridsquirrel

hybridsquirrel

iwb w/ the super tuck usually. or my lcp in my coat pocket. I am looking to get a revolver so I could pocket fire If I needed too.

4. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Dude. Why worry about a zippered pocket? Gravity still works no matter what the temp. Stick a G26 or your J-frame/ whatever in your pocket and go. Mini in the pocket and a "real gun" on the belt. No worries.

5. ElectricZombie

ElectricZombie

While wearing heavy clothing, I carry my full size pistol IWB (as usual) and my LCP in an outer pocket.

6. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

Train yourself to move your feet (toward cover preferably) while you're getting to your gun. Even a little movement greatly decreases your chances of getting hit.

7. BLau

BLau

Thanks for the replies. Some of the stuff mentioned I would have never thought about.

8. G19aps

G19aps

How about purchasing a coat with the pocket design you like? Check out places like bassproshops or cabelas, they have a bunch of winter coats.

9. hybridsquirrel

hybridsquirrel

Lol for some reason this reminded menof some fat chump on YouTube in full tactical gear running Round the forest with bb guns shoeing people how to draw and shoot. Haha I'll link the cideo later.

10. GunFighter45ACP

GunFighter45ACP

I prefer OWB, as there are less layers to move away to get to your weapon. Depending on your type of winter coat, a shoulder rig might be an option to consider as well.

11. Blitzo

Blitzo

I agree. I usually carry OWB with a waist length coat and have no problems drawing while lifting the coat. Sometimes when I have to wear multiple layers of clothing I will put on a shoulder rig.

12. possum_128

possum_128

I go with a Glock 30 in a Galco shoulder holster with coat half zipped. That way I can still get to it. Also a J frame in right coat pocket. With this set up My Glock becomes my bug and the J frame the main go to gun. Works for me.

13. BK63

BK63

Winter is the easiest for me. Big pocket holster in the jacket pocket is the easiest way to carry for me. I can carry whatever I want all day long that way. I can use a OWB holster with my winter jacket on and still be concealed. I'm not worried about being able to draw in a millisecond. Situational awareness should always be in the back of your mind. If you sense something is going wrong be prepared. We don't have a crystal ball to tell us whats going to happen every day. You just have to do your best and be prepared.

14. RottnJP

RottnJP Lifetime Member

If I know I'm going to be keeping my coat on, like running some errands, I'll often go with OWB. On the other hand, I often do that in the summer with a cover garment, so... Not much difference, IMO.

15. matt c

matt c

Appendix IWB crossdraw. On the Harley, my riding coat has an internal pistol pouch for it.. Ends up in a cross draw location. For me it depends on the jacket and layers I might have on at the time.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  16. bbqcentral

bbqcentral

When it gets colder I go from IWB to OWB. I wear clothes to hide any print that might occur...feels better OWB when it gets colder...at least for me!

17. BRoberts243

BRoberts243

i just bought the glock sport/combat holster for this reason. i still feel i CAN get to my super tuck pretty quickly even with the extra layer on, but i like to carry owb anyway so with the extra looser layer i can do it without worry about revealing the glock

18. Spoklahoma

Spoklahoma

I'm so confused by the whole "summer carry vs winter carry" thing. Where I live we get real winters. If it's 15 degrees out I'm going to be wearing a heavy coat. I won't make it 3 minutes inside wearing the coat before I overheat, so it's going to have to come off. What am I supposed to do with my OWB weapon now? I do live in an open carry state, but I'm not going there...
    Do you guys just wear lighter coats and try not to overhead when you're inside? And I'm not being a smartass - I'm really wondering since this is all new to me.

19. G19aps

G19aps

Spoklahoma, with an inside the waist band holster you might be able to untuck your shirt and cover it. Or carry a lighter fleece vest to change into in your vehicle before going into a building. Here it doesn't get that cold and I use a thinner jacket to keep me warm between building and vehicle. With the G26 I have gone to pocket from belt carry with a flat bottom mag (keep pocket holster and mag in vehicle) when going into a restaurant and knowing that I am going to take off my jacket.