close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help with virus, please

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by thetoastmaster, Jul 18, 2006.

1. thetoastmaster

thetoastmaster NOT a sheepdog!

Hey y'all, I've got a problem. I'm running McAfee Security Center as my anti-virus software, and it keeps telling me that my system is infected with something it calls "Downloader-EV". It says further that it cannot be removed, nor "cleaned", and that it's in a "DAT 4300" file.

I'm almost computer illiterate (but am pretty good at following instrustions). What do I do?

-Bo

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Restart your computer in Safe mode.. Press F8 repeatedly while your PC is booting.

If pressing F8, does not get you into safe mode.

Start
    Run
    Type MsConfig
    Hit OK
    Click the "Boot INI" tab
    Check "Safeboot" and "Minimal"
    Restart your PC.

Run MCAfee in safe mode, and it should delete the virus from there. Most likely the file is in us being read as in use, so your virus scanner won't delete it.

Note: If you had to change the MSConfig to get to safe mode, when you're done running McAfee in safe mode

Click Start
    Run
    MsConfig---OK
    On the General Tab
    Click "Normal Start up"
    Restart

If running your virus scanner in Safe mode doesn't work, report back..

IGF

3. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Its a Trojan that takes advantage of a vulnerability in Microsoft Internet Explorer to download and execute arbitrary code on the system.

Download and install Ewido anti malware scanner

Save to your desktop and then install after downloading by double clicking where it is on your desktop.

http://www.grisoft.cz/softw/70/filedir/inst/ewido-setup_4.0.0.172b.exe

Then run the the Ewido scanner.

4. HVAC-TEK

HVAC-TEK

Sometimes this does happen.

I would try Safe mode first. Safe mode is an emergency/stripped down version of windows that you can access by tapping f8 during startup. If running your MacAfee from inside safe mode doesn’t work, then try using Trend Microsystems online FREE anti virus scanner.

You can find it easily by googling 'trend housecall' It works well and should locate your problem. Bear in mind that it does run from the internet, so it may take some time if using a dial up connection.

In the end you may find that you can’t auto-magically fix this issue. If this happens you will have to go to MacAfee’s webpage and search for the 'by hand' removal instructions. This is step by step walking you through the 'employees only' part of your operating system, telling you exactly what to delete. When doing this, it is wise to back up anything important.

It is not unusual to have to delete a virus manually. I have had to do this on several systems.

Good luck

K

5. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Man...

Stop using McAfee. It's vastly overpriced, as you have seen, and is a weak sister compared to many other AV scanners. Ditto anything from $ymantec.

Avast! works a lot better--and costs you nothing to use OR update.

Also: stop using Internet Exploiter to surf the Web...unless you enjoy this sort of thing, that is.