close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dismiss Notice

You are browsing the classified section of GlockTalk.com, by doing so you agree to follow the terms of service.

http://www.glocktalk.com/pages/classifieds-tos/

Help with used G17

Discussion in 'Smart Shopper' started by Jim1970, Feb 5, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Jim1970

Jim1970 Learnin'

Hello,

Shopping around for glock. Prefer the 9mm. Found a G17 at local pawn shop. Date code puts gun production in 1989. Gun comes with two 17 round factory mags. Finish is in poor shape, slide will not lock open with either magazine in place. Front site has been messed with as evidence by poor welding (?) on inside of slide. Barrel appears fine examined by eye, but ramp has semi-circular marks across it that can barely be felt. No visible cracking on frame and all numbers match. Gun has been at shop for six months. He was asking $449 and I offered printed evidence his price was crazy. He and I have chatted about the gun several times. Today he said he knew they overpaid for it and he knows that the gun has lived a hard life. He said "I'd take any offer."

My question: this is a first generation glock. Is it worth buying and having glock "tune up" for me? Would I be better served to buy cleanly used online? My thought is to offer him about $200 and hope to put in about $100 to have it brought up to speed. Is this good thinking? Gun will be shot by myself, wife, and daughters. Wife and I will shoot IDPA with it.

Thanks in advance,
    Jim

2. lawman

lawman

I have seen new G17 for 450.00 why buy something with all those problems its your call though

3. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Lots of stuff to consider here. First do you like the grip of first gen better then second/third? (some folks do)
    Second do you participate in GSSF matches? They used to dang near rebuild Glocks that have problems at matchs but I have not been to one lately.
    Third You can't go wrong for $200. (well if you don't mean it has been welded on.) Could it be the sight was just adjusted by idiot with hammer?
    Good luck.