close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help with picture files everywhere on PC

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Davegrave, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Davegrave

Davegrave Dapper Dan

On my PC, I have pictures ALL over. I have them in the shared file, my personal user setting, my ex's user setting.

Within each of those I have them in folders on the desktop, in the picture folder, the download folder, various others and in many of those they are sometimes 6 or 8 sub-folders deep.

Then on my external drive...more of the same. folders within folders within folders.

Is there any program, (free being best, cheap being necessary) that will compile all my pictures from all over into one file?

The problem is many may be named the same but for different pics, due to predictable naming habits from both me, and digital cameras I've used. So I'd like it to save multiples of the same named pictures.

And lastly, this one is a long shot...but I have thousands and thousands of pictures sometimes with a single one saved in multiple spots...so is there some program that will pull together similar pictures regardless of file name so I can sort thru and delete multiples without having to find it and then scroll for an hour trying to see if there are repeats?

It's a total mess from years of bad habits, phone backups, computer replacements, etc. I'm hoping to get it under control without turning it into a months long project.

2. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

im sure there is something out there to work with , but as for me ...

i just keep up with stuff and burn to discs along the way , sounds like you got a problem lol .

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012

3. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Yes there is a program that will identify duplicate files on your computer, even if they have different names. It will let you delete all but one. I used it a few years ago. Sorry I don't remember the program name but I'm sure someone on here will know.

4. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Mac can handle this beautifully.

Every file has a Spotlight Comment in the info lookup.

You can put multiple keywords on each file, or photo in your case.

You can then make folders by topic. If you use Smart Folders, you can query it to display everything where file = .jpg and spotlight comment contains "Phyliss's Wedding"

Every photo you have that has her wedding in the spotlight comment responds, and you have all the wedding pics in one place. To View. Copy. Email etc…or otherwise isolate by topic.

But, lets say one of the wedding photo's has your nephew Shane in it. At some point you want all your Shane pics in one place. Add the keyword Shane to the spotlight comments where he's in the picture. If Shane was at the wedding, that photo has Phyliss's Wedding and Shane in the Spotlight Comment.

So, the photo will be in one place but respond to any Smart Folder (or file search) that includes a keyword as criteria.

If you have more than one nephew, put nephew in as a keyword, and if you want all your nephew pics, it will return Shane and Billy since you'd put nephew in all their pics, wedding or otherwise.

So, dump all your .jpgs to one .jpg folder. Once.

As you review them, add keywords.

When you want to review a subject, Virtual Smartfolder with those keyword(s) as criteria. Or just do a file search.

Which means if you scanned a .pdf of the lovely wedding invitation, and put the wedding in that files Spotlight comment, it will return with the pictures. Have a Numbers Spreadsheet with wedding expenses? Same deal. It goes cross file type. WP docs, spreadsheets, photos, .pdfs…

You're not just limited to just the file name. I think this is only on the Mac.

5. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

He said cheap, not Mac.

6. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

You contradict yourself.

Some folks think PC's are cheaper. Then they run into Death By A Thousand Cuts, like he is..off looking to buy some software to fix his problem. That doesn't exist on a Mac!

For that matter, you can get onboard with Mac for a little as $999. A nice one for 1200. A cool one 1600.

I've spent 3k on a PC. A good one but…still, 3k.

Things are not always what they appear to be. Or rumored on the internets.:rofl:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  7. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

My guess is that he already has a paid-for PC so your solution is going to cost him at least $999 plus tax. That's not cheap in my book.

Greg
    (typed from a MBP :whistling:)

8. Gallium

Gallium CLM

9. bocaboca

bocaboca

have you tried the free d/l from google...Picasa? it does alot of what your asking

10. SavageDragon

SavageDragon

Why can't you just search the HD for *.jpg or whatever extension they are, highlight all that it finds and copy the to a single folder? If you have Win 7 and there are duplicates it will ask you if you want to overwrite the existing one or keep both. Once your sure the numbers match from the search window to the folder you copied them to, delete them from the search window.

11. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Because some folks have the same image in five places with four different names?

Or, the same file name assigned to four different images. When you re-initialize some cameras, the count starts over. So 10 months ago you may have a folder named "Olympus10001" with pictures in it named 100001xx.jpg

You zap your camera, and it now calls today's pictures 100001xx.jpg again.

-G

12. KentuckyPatriot

KentuckyPatriot Photojournalist

One problem here is that some digital cameras reset their internal counter to "0" after each format of the storage card. In this case it would be very likely that there would be duplicates. Blindly answering yes will result in deleting files that may be wanted.

I would try to do a search for duplicated photo file numbers before blindly highlighting and moving to a single location.

13. bobby_w

bobby_w Alienigena Platinum Member

I used Google Picasa to do what you are wanting. Free. it found pictures that I did not know that I still had.

14. sjfrellc

sjfrellc CLM

FTW. Definitely what you need. It won't cure your bad habits but it will help.

15. Davegrave

Davegrave Dapper Dan

I'll give Picasa a try. Thanks.

16. Cooper

Cooper

I am professional photographer. At last count I had around 150k images, which I organize and backup in triplicate. And those are just PERSONAL photos.

What you're talking about is DAM: Digital Asset Management. There are many philosophies and systems. Here is what I do.

1. Make a folder called "chronological photos."

2. Within that folder, make year folders. 2010, 2011, 2012.

3. Within each year folders, make (wait for it . . . ) month folders. Name them with two numbers and three-letter abbreviations (01jan, 02feb, 03mar...) so that Windows/Mac/Linux will AUTOMATICALLY sort them correctly. They will be the same every time you open the year folder (it won't try to rearrange them alphabetically or put "12dec" before "4apr" because of differing numbers of characters).

4. Everytime you shoot photos, make a folder for them. Name it thus:

YYMMDD_description

So, if you take a photo of your friend Sally at the beach on the 30th of April, 2012, the folder will be named "120430_sally at the beach. Then, put this folder in the correct month folder.

5. Find a program that can rename files in a batch. Perhaps your version of Windows can do this, perhaps Mac or Linux can. Then, rename each file thus: FOLDERNAME_SEQUENCE#.

So in your folder called "120430_sally at the beach," each file will be "120430_sally at the beach_01.jpg"

This system works because it's simple, it takes advantage of the native sorting of the operating system (your folders and files will always be in the correct order), it's easy to back up (just back up the folder "chronological photos"), it's easy to search (because of the descriptions in the folder names) and it works on every OS. And it's free. AND if a file is moved to another folder (say you're taking some files to a lab to print the photos) you can always trace it back to its source by the filename.

In your case, you WILL have to spend a few hours sorting everything out. But after that, it only takes a few seconds each time you import photos.

17. Cooper

Cooper

You Mac guys are nuts. For "as little as" $999 I could get "on board" with two PCs capable of outclassing the thousand-dollar Mac. You're paying for the status. Which is fine, if that's what you want. But I use both systems every day, and the only "extra" software I use is Adobe Creative Suite (same price for both systems,) PhotoMatix (again, same) and VueScan (doesn't work on Mac).

I know there must be reasons to spend 3k on a computer, but I'm unlikely to encounter them in my life, and I'm what most would consider a resource-intensive user.

18. FPS

FPS

find . -name "*.jpg" | xargs rm

19. Four Knives

Four Knives

Light of the world
    Shine on me
    Picasa's the an-nswerrrrr

20. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

About as far from the truth as it gets. No one here to impress but me. PC user since 1988 and still have both, and adding LINUX shortly.

Bought Mac to try it and ended up loving it, was the trip to the Apple store to check it out that impressed. Seeing and using is believing. Don't give a rat's who's impressed with it if it doesn't do for me what I want. I'm also continuing to see value returned in daily usage with what and how it does things and the tools it offers. Also has opened door to programs it has buried on it that I might not otherwise have encountered.

As I recall, I've never paid less than 2k for any PC I've owned from

1994: Gateway 486 DX2-50
    1996: Gateway Pentium Pro 200
    1998: Dell PII 300 Notebook
    2004: Toshiba Satelite NB
    2008: VAIO 17" RAID w Win
    2011: Macbook Pro 17"

And most went for the better part of 3k. That includes taking the value play of not going for the top of the line at the time, but the processor or configuation just behind the latest and greatest in order to catch the price drop. Usually ordered some extras with it like a few hundred extra for MS Office Pro.

Only in the past few years have prices dropped to such low levels and that still leaves you shortchanged unless you were just looking for a netbook and were'nt really pushing it to begin with.