Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was having failures to eject in my P3AT (6 in 125 rounds). I called Kel-Tec and they sent me out a new extractor, extractor screw, and spring.

I installed the new parts and also did a little buffing in the chamber. To date this gun has had: 2 barrels, 2 extractor assemblies, and a "fluff and buff" done to it. When it came to the feed ramp part of the "fluff and buff" I only lightly sanded the feed ramp.

I took it out to test fire it and I had 2 more malfunctions in 25 rounds. The only problem is this time its a new type of malfunction. I am getting failures to feed now (previously I was getting failures to eject). The nose of the bullet also has a bad gash in it where it looks like it is being rammed into the top of the barrel hood.

Is it possible that my extractor screw is too tight?

The gun was well lubed and I was shooting Remington UMC ammo. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2jboeqa.jpg

·
Badass Member
6,777 Posts
So you tried to fix something that wasn't broken and now it doesn't work?

Try polishing the feed ramp instead of sanding it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you tried to fix something that wasn't broken and now it doesn't work?

Try polishing the feed ramp instead of sanding it.

Did you read my post? :brickwall: It was averaging a malfunction every 10 rounds...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It was having a FTE every 10 rounds, so Kel-Tec sent me a new extractor assembly to remedy the problem. After installing the new extractor assembly, I started getting FTF with the nose of the round pointing at the top of the chamber like in the picture.

My question is: what causes this, and could my extractor screw be too tight causing this malfunction?\

Also, it does this with 3 types of ammunition.

·
Registered
491 Posts
My p3at is very picky about ammo. I was having ftf and fte problems out the box. I know it says in the manual that there will be a few failures while breaking in. After 150 rounds mine hates pmc ammo and does ok with Remington white box. My lcp however, eats anything you give her, never has a problem.

·
Badass Member
6,777 Posts
It was having a FTE every 10 rounds, so Kel-Tec sent me a new extractor assembly to remedy the problem. After installing the new extractor assembly, I started getting FTF with the nose of the round pointing at the top of the chamber like in the picture.

My question is: what causes this, and could my extractor screw be too tight causing this malfunction?\

Also, it does this with 3 types of ammunition.
Shouldn't be the screw. The extractor may have a burr on the breechface side, preventing the rim of the rim of the case from passing between them. Take the extractor out and check that.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shouldn't be the screw. The extractor may have a burr on the breechface side, preventing the rim of the rim of the case from passing between them. Take the extractor out and check that.
checked it and it looks normal

·
Registered
480 Posts
My buddy had a similar problem (not quite as frequent) with his P3AT and we did a full on fluff and buff as you described in your post. Since then, we've had no issues at all. That makes me think you might have inherited a lemon...I would give Kel-Tec another call and see what they can do. That's getting pretty ridiculous.

·
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ
3,532 Posts
checked it and it looks normal
I don't wrench on KT's, so take this FWIW, but if a Glock was doing that I'd radius the bottom of the extractor. If it's sharp it can drag on the brass and inhibit smooth feeding.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't wrench on KT's, so take this FWIW, but if a Glock was doing that I'd radius the bottom of the extractor. If it's sharp it can drag on the brass and inhibit smooth feeding.
Will a tight extractor also inhibit smooth feeding?

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Does the UMC ammo have a rounded nose bullet or truncated?

·
Badass Member
6,777 Posts
Will a tight extractor also inhibit smooth feeding?
It could but the screw is supposed to be tight. Personally I'd get out the files and tinker with it (radius the bottom and maybe a few passes across the rear face). Sometimes a burr that is too small to see will give you hell.

·
Registered
11,680 Posts
I bought my second one about 3 years ago and it was doing something like your picture shows during for first few rounds fired. After 50 rounds I decided to fix the problem.

The ejector on mine had a noticeably rough edge on the bottom of it. I smoothed the bottom edge of the extractor along with a light fluff and buff. It's been 100% every since. Feeds any type of ammo I put in it, as long as I clean and lube it every month or so.

It's always in my pocket where legal to carry. And it always fires and feeds every time I pull the trigger until it's out of ammo. So does my first generation P3AT which now has over 3K rounds through it.

But mine never had problems like you report:

"To date this gun has had: 2 barrels, 2 extractor assemblies, and a "fluff and buff" done to it."

Might be time for a trip back to Kel Tec if putting a slight radius on the bottom edge of the extractor doesn't fix it.

Also, have you tried a different magazine? I've got about 10 magazines for my PAT's, and they all feed reliably, but I'm pretty sure magazines can cause feeding problems.

Edit: I went back and looked at your picture again. Mine was slightly different. Mine would stop with the bullet part way up the feed ramp and the case rim hung on the extractor. The rough edge on the bottom of the extractor would not let the case rim slide up under it.

In your picture it appears the case hasn't yet began to slide up under the ectractor. Hard to tell from looking at the photo. So the extractor might not be the problem. If you haven't already, try different magazines.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I bought my second one about 3 years ago and it was doing something like your picture shows during for first few rounds fired. After 50 rounds I decided to fix the problem.

The ejector on mine had a noticeably rough edge on the bottom of it. I smoothed the bottom edge of the extractor along with a light fluff and buff. It's been 100% every since. Feeds any type of ammo I put in it, as long as I clean and lube it every month or so.

It's always in my pocket where legal to carry. And it always fires and feeds every time I pull the trigger until it's out of ammo. So does my first generation P3AT which now has over 3K rounds through it.

But mine never had problems like you report:

"To date this gun has had: 2 barrels, 2 extractor assemblies, and a "fluff and buff" done to it."

Might be time for a trip back to Kel Tec if putting a slight radius on the bottom edge of the extractor doesn't fix it.

Also, have you tried a different magazine? I've got about 10 magazines for my PAT's, and they all feed reliably, but I'm pretty sure magazines can cause feeding problems.

Edit: I went back and looked at your picture again. Mine was slightly different. Mine would stop with the bullet part way up the feed ramp and the case rim hung on the extractor. The rough edge on the bottom of the extractor would not let the case rim slide up under it.

In your picture it appears the case hasn't yet began to slide up under the ectractor. Hard to tell from looking at the photo. So the extractor might not be the problem. If you haven't already, try different magazines.
Can you show me pictures of exactly what you did?

·
Registered
11,680 Posts
I just field stripped mine and looked at it. It's been three years since I did the modification.

I don't think you could see anything, even if I had the ability to take and post a picture. It would take high magnification and I don't have that camera capability anyway, since I've not fully entered the modern world.

I didn't remove anything but just the very very tiniest amount of metal. Didn't make any noticeable change in the configuration at all. I just smoothed up the bottom pointy edge of the extractor with a very light needle file stroke or two.

The pointy edge was sharp and had a rough edge on the point. I could only see the roughness with a 10X jewelers loop.

If you'll look at yours, you will see the extractor comes to what amounts to a sharp point. The rough edge near the end of the sharp point would hang the round about half way up the feed ramp. Again I had to have magnification to even see it on mine.

I fired a box of fifty and had it fail to feed at least 8 or 10 times. I examined it after each jam and slow cycled the pistol paying very close attention to the feeding cycle and could tell the extractor was what was hanging it.

So I just smoothed it up and removed the smallest amount of metal I could get by with. You don't want to change the configuration at all, just smooth off any burrs.

But I don't recall mine putting the nose of the bullet into the top of the barrel hood with force sufficient to mark the bullet, like yours apparently does. Have you tried different magazines?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts