close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help with Norton Internet Security 2005 Problem...Please!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Big Dog Dad, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Big Dog Dad

Big Dog Dad NRA Patriot Life Member

I'm running XP and have recently upgraded my Norton IS 2002 to 2005. What a fiasco! Two days and about five hours on the phone with Mahmoud and Achmed and it finally installed. Now I'm getting a new error about Microsoft IE that says "Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a result, the page may not display correctly." This pops up every time I click on the Norton icon in the system tray. The Norton screen comes up with this error, and after I click the OK button on the error, the Norton screen sits there with "Refreshing" on it. It never gets any farther. I've tried going into IE security settings and clicking on Enable ActiveX controls and plug-ins, but that doesn't seem to help. I've got an e-mail into Symantec but they said I would get a reply in 4-5 business days. Needless to say, this is the last Symantec product I will ever own. The Apple Imac I've been looking at is looking better and better.

2. Ohioguy

Ohioguy

Did you uninstall 2002 before installing 2005? Only 2003 and sooner allowed an install of 2005 without an uninstall. Hope this helps.:)

3. lwt210

lwt210

My father was whining about this upgrade the other night on the phone.

He said that all would have been well had he uninstalled the earlier version before installing the new one like the post above states.

He hasn't mentioned the problem you speak of with the Active X.

4. alex954

alex954

I love Norton Systemworks and that all I use for antivirus and disk defrag ...
    Never liked internet security
    im running xp pro all I have is yahoo pop up blocker to stop pop ups
    works great
    and check with Hijack this a free proggie for hijackers "trojans"
    im running win xp on all my computers they work fine

5. eisman

eisman ARGH! CLM

I've had this same problem, and it took a long time to figure out. Norton guys should know it, but they don't. You need to disable the built in security of XP. It's a PITA.

I found it much better all the way around to just dump Norton and go to EZ.

6. SmartOne

SmartOne GoingIn CoverMe

;Q That’s really odd. I’ll agree that Norton Tech Support really, ‘sucks a big one’; but the Internet Security program should work a whole lot better than that! I suspect that you’ve installed over an existing NIS version. That’s not good! You need to use the Windows add/remove programs utility to start all over again; and, don’t just uninstall NIS, make sure you uninstall NAV, too! After the reinstallation of both programs, make certain that you DISABLE the Windows XP firewall. If you fail to do this you’re going to continue to have conflict problems.

You need to go to your Windows, ‘Control Panel’ and check under the, ‘Internet Properties/Advanced Tab/Security Section’. Make certain you are allowing, ‘Active Content’ to run on your computer.

Finally, check that you don’t have any competing firewall conflicts: Open the Windows, ‘Security Center’; under, ‘Firewall’ check to be sure that the, ‘WINDOWS’ firewall is turned off! (It may read, ‘firewall on’ when you first open the program; but the reference should be to Norton – NOT Windows. When you click on the status button it will tell you whether or not it’s Windows or Norton – Got it!)

The last thing I’d mention to you is that NIS runs a whole lot better when it’s backed up to Norton Systemworks – Which should, also, be on your computer. Hope this helps. :)

7. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Those $40 a call Norton 'techs' can't read what isn't on the script. They will get pinked for it, so even if they know the answer Corporate politics can and does stop them from telling you what to do.

BTW, it turns out that SP2 + HW router is far more secure from attack than NIS's lousy software solution (even conflicts with itself), so that is just another reason to avoid Symantec products.

If you are having a good Norton experience, rejoice; you are among the lucky 10% that aren't paying to have it removed...

All the clients I rip NAV/NIS for get Avast and Zone Alarm (or Black Ice) and they get into far less trouble.

Let's see...a FREE AV (that stops and rips more crud than NAV) and FREE firewall (that works better than NIS); and BOTH have better support than any Symantec product.

Talk about your "No-Brainers".

As far as for-pay applications go, Kaspersky is about a million times better than Norton will ever be.

GL

8. nickg

nickg

i was using AVG anti virus and Zone Alarm firewall for about a year. i recently dumped both of those and am now using Avast anti virus and Sygate Personal firewall. both seem like very good programs.

9. Big Dog Dad

Thanks for the advice. I went to the control panel, intrenet options, advanced tab, and security. The problem is under security I have nothing that refers to active content. I'm still getting the ActiveX error when I try opening Norton. I got an e-mail reply from Symantec, but of course it had nothing to do with my problem. I wonder how they got so many knowledgeless people who can speak some English to work for about 100 rupees a month. Any other suggestions - PLEASE!

10. SmartOne

SmartOne GoingIn CoverMe

:) Calm down, my friend; and don't tell me something isn't there when I'm sure that it is! One more time:

Open the Windows, 'Control Panel'. If your updates are current, then, you will see a multi-colored shield titled, 'Security Center'. Click on it, and open it up. Start with, 'Internet Options'. It will open on the, 'Internet Properties/Security/IntERnet Tab'. Your problem is here; simply because it has to be!

(1) Do you see the, 'Custom Level' tab? Click on it and this time READ IT carefully. Make certain that anything that refers to, 'Active X Controls' is marked as it needs to be in order to run on your machine.

You may be able to stop here; but, I don't know how your computer is setup or networked, so I'm going to tell you to do the following: (It can't hurt, anyway.)

(2) Do the same thing for the, 'Internet/Properties/Security/Local IntRAnet Tab'.

(3) Do the same thing for the, 'Trusted Sites'.

(4) Do it again for the, 'Restricted Sites'.

YOU WILL NEED TO CHECK THE FOLLOWING AS PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED IN THE EARLIER POST:

(5) Now, go to, 'Internet/Properties/Advanced Tab/Security Section'. Do it all, one more time; and, yes, you will see check boxes for, 'Active Content'!

(6) Finally check your firewall settings, again; and make certain that you don't have, both, the Windows AND Symantec firewalls on. (Only the Norton firewall should be active.)

If it were my machine I'd uninstall NIS/NAV and reinstall the new 2005 edition by itself. SOMETHING, here, HAS to be the correct answer to your problem because Windows XP doesn't offer any other places to set Active X controls from - Period! ;)

(PS: I, still, think NIS runs better and is easier to use if it is backed up to Norton Systemworks.) :cool:

11. Big Dog Dad

Smartone,

Thanks for being patient with me. I looked and found that the Security Center is something new in Service Pack 2. I guess I will break down and install this update, as much as I don't want to. I'm very leary of installing anything anymore from Microsoft. I've heard too many reports of bad experiences with this upgrade, but at this point, I guess I've got to bite the bullet and install the next aboration put out by Gates and crew. Wish me luck! Thanks again to all for your advice.

-=BDD=-

12. SmartOne

SmartOne GoingIn CoverMe

:) Naaa, Big Bad Dad, you don't have to install SPII unless you really want to. All of this stuff can be accessed through the Internet Options Tab on the Windows Control Panel.

The Fire wall setting can, also, be set from within NIS. As a matter of fact THIS is another place you can check those Active X controls from.

Open NIS, You'll see a line that says, 'Personal Firewall' Put the cursor on it; and click it. It will open a screen that will tell you what NORTON'S (Not Windows) Active X controls are set for. Click on the, 'Custom Level' bar; and, now, you should be able to set Norton's Active X controls, too.

Now, it doesn't matter whether the problem is with Windows, or Norton. This really should solve things for you! (There's nothing else left on either side of the equation.)

Microsoft's SPII, by the way, works far better than I expected it to. I had a few issues, at first, with my router; but Linksys cleared things up for me; and SPII has been running beautifully for the past 5 months.

Yes, Symantec/Norton Tech Support is among the most expensive and worst in the world; but, fortunately for Peter Norton, the Norton programs are of sufficient caliber to carry the high priced shoddy service that Symantec offers. I like Norton's utility programs, and wouldn't attempt to run a computer without them installed.

That's it - Good luck to you! ;)

13. Big Dog Dad

Even a blind Glock nut gets lucky once in a while. It appears there is a difference in some of the nomenclature in our operating systems. I still don't have anything on mine that says Security Center, but I finally figured out where you wanted me to go. After every conceivable combination of enable, disable, prompt, etc. on the Internet, and Intranet for the ActiveX controls, it still gave me the same error message. I did notice the My Computer icon and clicked on that. I don't know how, but there was nothing checked in the ActiveX section. It's not that they were checked wrong, it's that they weren't checked at all. After clicking on the proper enable and disable selections, I went back and my Norton NIS runs perfectly. Again, I want to thank you for your patience and advice. I guess I can go and take the pins out of my Bill Gates doll now. On second thought, I think I will leave them there in hope that this crap monger gets lost in his 45,000 square foot home and nobody finds his broken body. If there is anyone on this board that can speak a very, very broken English, knows nothing about computers, but can read from a script, there's a position in India for you with Symantec.

-=BDD=-

14. SmartOne

SmartOne GoingIn CoverMe

:) You're welcome! Glad you got it figured out. ;)

15. dwhite

dwhite

+1 on that

that is all I use on my 159 machine network

if you only want items in Quarantine then stick to your MacAfee and Norton :) :)

16. SmartOne

SmartOne GoingIn CoverMe

:) Big Dog Dad, now that you've got things working, if you did any of these things:

(2) Do the same thing for the, 'Internet/Properties/Security/Local IntRAnet Tab'.

(3) Do the same thing for the, 'Trusted Sites'.

(4) Do it again for the, 'Restricted Sites'.

as per one of my earlier posts, then, UNDO THEM. 'Trusted' and 'Restricted' sites usually shouldn't have active X controls allowed. :cool: