close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help with new gaming rig

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by BilboTN, Jan 21, 2006.

1. BilboTN

BilboTN

I'm looking at getting a new rig soon and would like some input.

Are the dual core processors, Pentium D, really all that and a bag of chips? Do they outrun a P4 with HT? I wouldn't mind an Athlon64 but it's not really an option at this point.

On to video cards... Which would you pick? Nvidia 6800 or ATI Radeon X600E with Hypermemory?

Thanks.

2. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

Pentium D is interesting, but not super duper awesome neato cool by any means. They have a tendency to outrun an HT CPU by as much as HTs outrun similar single core, non-HT CPUs. In some things the bonus is noticible, in some others it looks good in a benchmark only, and sometimes it just isn't there. Depends on the application(s) you run.

By A64 not being an option, I'll take a reach and say you're thinking P-D becasue you have a P4 rig already? If that's the case, you probably can't just plug in a P-D, most older Socket T boards do not support P-D. It needs the newer chipsets, like the 945.

Other than that, I like them, but they're definitely not all that and a bag of chips. Yet.

As for "vanilla" 6800 v. X600... 6800 by miles and miles, even before you add in lame HyperMemory.

3. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

Don't know from personal experience, but from what I've read the dual core cpu's aren't a help in gaming yet. If it will be a mainly gaming rig, I would save the money and put it into your graphics card.

Not sure why the Athlon 64 isn't an option, but for gaming it should be the front runner. If you are planning on overclocking at all the 3700 san diego is getting oc'd up around the FX57 level so a lot of bang per buck possibility :)

I have the Saphire X800pro and with the arctic silencer and a slight overclock have better performance than the 6800. My first ATI card and I like it.

Good luck with your build ;)

4. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

The vanilla 6800 is a weak sister compared to a fully functional 6800GT or Ultra.

The Ultra has been discontinued by most makers in favor of the newer 7800 which has better DDR3 on board and better power management/cooling.

The AMD procs are generally best for gaming while the Pentiums are better for multitasking and multimedia editing.

I'd agree with Rodney; put the axtra $$$ into your graphics card where it can do some good.

BTW, I got my 6800GT from ZipZoomFly last fall for $302 shipped...and all 16 pixel pipes are running strong (the 6800 has only 12-making it 1/3 less powerful!).

Good luck, and choose wisely!

Eric

5. powasky

powasky

I have an AMD 2800 X2 processor and it flies. If you're eventually going to save up the money to upgrade to a card, like the 7800, you would be better off saving that money now, instead of investing in a mid range card.

7800GT = well worth the money.

6. jthuang

jthuang On The Jazz

Agreed ... prices are dropping on the 7800GTs, as the 7900s are about to be released. You can get a XFX or eVGA 7800GT from Newgg for less than $300 nowadays.