Help with networking windows 2000 with..

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by CRC, Mar 14, 2005.

1. CRC

CRC Sarah's Dad

windows xp machines. OK, here is the deal, we just bought a bunch of new computers for my wife's office. She was using Windows 2000 and the new machines are XP Professional. I have set up (by reading a book, I am so not an expert)the computers using a router / modem to share files and Internet. I've been able to get all of the XP's to share files and drives. I need for the 2000 machine to join this workgroup and be able to share all files and drives and I can't get them to see this machine. How do I get it to join the workgroup and be able to share all files?

Thanks,

-Craig

2. Nyper

Nyper

Are they all on the same router?

3. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

With Win98, 98SE, ME, 2K or NT, it doesn't matter; you just do the same things as you did for XP.

Set the 2K machine to use the same workgroup and run Network Setup, then set the shared folders or map the network drives, whichever you need to use.

If there are problems, post specific descriptions of them and we can be of more help.

4. CRC

CRC Sarah's Dad

Yes, same router - 8 ports.

I tried doing the same things, and when I go to the Network Places icons on the XP's I can see only the other XP's. I can see their C drives and folders and both printers. One strange thing is that when I click the view workgroup computers on the XP's, the 2K shows up (I entered the same workgroup name on all XP's and the 2K). When I click on it, it says something like: "network path invalid (or not found), you may not have permissions to access.."

When I go to the view entire network or computers near me on the 2K, I only see the 2K, the XP's don't show up.

I had a friend look at it while he was at the office. He did something called "pinging" I think, and said that when he pings the XP's from the 2K he gets a response but when he pings the 2K from any XP there is no response.

OK, well my friend just called me, he spoke to someone that mentioned two things, he said if I have a firewall setup on the 2K, that might do it. He also said that if the subnet masks don't match that could also do it. Now I don't have a clue what a subnet mask is, but I know for a fact that I have Norton Internet Security with a firewall on the 2K. Unfortunately I won't be able to get to the office until later today. I'll disable Norton when I get there and see if that does anything. What's a subnet mask? Is there anything else that I need to turn on? Someone else mentioned permissions and I tried to allow everyone to access in the permissions and obviously that didn't work.

As a side note, this 2K was networked fine with another 2K (which has since crashed) and Norton was running on both of those machines. But Norton was actually loaded after they were already networked.

I apologize if I'm asking stupid questions. I've never had any formal training with computers and don't work with them regularly.

Thanks again,

-Craig

5. G. Gunman

G. Gunman Draw Varmint!

6. CRC

CRC Sarah's Dad

Aah, thank you master! Now I have a bone to pick with you. You made me carry a very big pot of soup with my bare wrists. Now I have two very ugly branding marks..the chicks, they don't dig this!:cool:

7. G. Gunman

G. Gunman Draw Varmint!

;f LOL !!! You, obviously, need to find kinkier chicks! ;)

8. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

You are doing good.
    The firewall is probably going to be a problem. The subnet masks may also be a problem.

I assume you are picking up your IP address via DHCP. If this is true, something is goofy with your DHCP server. From a command prompt, if you run the command “ipconfig /all” on all the systems you should see the configurations for the systems.

I dummied up the following data as an example for what you should see.
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MYCOMPUTER
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : RWBLUE.ORG

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : enterprise.rwblue.com
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-04-23-7F-9C-A7
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :3.98.128.10
    Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.15
    Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 192.168.1.21
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, March 15, 2005 9:23:37 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, March 15, 2005 9:23:37 PM

9. RWBlue

I would suspect your subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0.

I would assume you are using DHCP and your DHCP server is the router. If not let us know what you have going on.

Did you setup the router or did someone else? It may be setup to have a DMZ which explains your problem.

10. CRC

CRC Sarah's Dad

I'm going to head to the office now, I'll first try disabling Norton since that sounds like something I can do without risk of catastrophic demise, I'll then check all of the stuff that you printed for me in your previous post to me.

I'll let you guys know, what happens.

My wife won't allow any more... makey too much messy!! ;f

Thanks a lot,

Craig

11. CRC

CRC Sarah's Dad

Well, it was the freekin' Norton thing that was not allowing the connection...That was easy ;f and didn't take much of my weekend, Monday or Tuesday :(. Hey it's fixed right?

Thanks for all of your help guys,

-;c Craig

12. RWBlue

Sound like you had a great learning experience and came through with flying colors. :cool:

Before you turn off the personal firewall for permanently:

Personal firewalls are not necessarily a bad thing. They can protect your system from different viruses, hackers and such. You may want to take the time to learn how this personal firewall works (especially if one of these computers is a laptop and will be traveling). Find out what ports you can turn off and still have different item function.

L8r

Mr. Blue

13. CRC

CRC Sarah's Dad

Will do. I have noticed that Norton Internet Security really slows things down. I loaded just Norton Anti Virus on the machines and I will have a more experienced person look to see if I set up the firewall on the router correctly.

Thanks for all of your help.

-Craig

14. RWBlue

Most are setup by default, but should have their fireware upgraded.
    You might want to try http://www.auditmypc.com/ to test the security.