close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help with my TV, please

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by harlenm, Feb 1, 2005.

1. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

I posted this over at avsforum.com, but haven't got a response yet. Thought someone here might know something.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attachment.php?s=&attachmentid=32946

TV is a Sony 42we655.

I attached a picture to show what is happening. It's worse when paused, like it is in the picture, but it does appear at other times.

Using Directv, with a directivo, and a separate box for HDTV. It does it on both. I put in a DVD and didn't notice the problem, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't do it, just that I didn't notice it on that particular DVD.

The lines should be smooth, but are jagged as can easily be seen in the picture. I posted somewhere a few months ago about this, and was told it was a bad signal, as I only saw it on that one occasion, but now it's all the time. Signal strenths are strong, so that's not an issue. Could it be the multiswitch, the adapters that connect runs of coax together? The TV? Anything else?

Any ideas as to what is causing this?

Thanks.

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Well, this may not help, but often I have encountered PC clients who also had problems with their satellite TV not working (ranging from getting only one or two channels to lines, distortions and No Signal errors) and the SatCom folks would regularly need to bring out new gear to get them working again.

Maybe the sat guys didn't have the skills to troubleshoot the cause of this...or maybe their superiors were afraid of having their very hot running low-end high-rent equipment look shoddy to their customers.

Whatever the case may be, on every occasion I have seen this, simply unplugging the TV and the satellite receiver from the wall socket for a half an hour fixed it. Every single time.

It is no coincidence that most of their PC's also had serious voltage-related problems going on, including burst capacitors and dead PSU's.

Power anamolies were the root cause, and though they were fine with manually resetting their TV gear not one of them decided not to set up their PC's with UPSes from that point on.

And one family has installed a large $200 UPS that runs all of the electronics in their entertainment center as well as the PC.

I suggest you unplug and uninstall everything for at least 30 minutes, and check around to make absolutely sure that every vent on every chassis can breathe.

Is anything related to the TV signal inside an entertainment center or other enclosed space? If so, slide it out or put it where you can eliminate its overheating as a possible culprit.

Good luck!

3. harlenm

No, nothing is in a cabinet. I uplugged the TV for about 15 minutes. I think the issue is in the RG6 lines. They are buried underground, maybe the cold is an issue. Either that or a bad adapter.

4. Rogueplayer

Rogueplayer Fast Mover

I own the same model.
    In the menu section for video, you have the ability to change the way
    the unit displays. I think there is a setting for text, action, etc.
    Not the picture type,i.e; standard,pro, that you can change with a button on the remote. I mean in the menu.
    I would change the settings and see if that helps.'
    I have also paused a pic at times, tivo or dvd, and notice that the lines are jagged. Keep in mind, dvd is only good for 480 lines of resolution. Do you have the same with HDTV signal. Fox for example is 780p. Also look at your DVD player, do you have it set up on progressive scan??

5. harlenm

Actually, I've found the DVD picture is better if I leave it at 480i and let the tv convert the picture, than have the dvd player convert it.

Those settings don't affect anything, I've tried. I still think it's a signal issue from directv.