Help with my smartcarry

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by cubbyjg, Mar 11, 2010.

1. cubbyjg

cubbyjg

My smartcarry holster came in today and i started to use it to get used to the feeling of it. However, i need some advice on how to get the best fit and placement with this system. Are the straps supposed to go below my waist or around my buttocks? I ask this because ive noticed that as i move around the holster tends to move up towards my waist and gets uncomfortable. When i climb the stairs or bend down, the gun starts to dig into my waist and belly. Any advice is appreciated. I really want to give this system a good try before making the decision of whether to keep it or return it. Thanks!

2. M4J0R T0M

M4J0R T0M

I have the cheaper Lightning Wear version of the Smart Carry and I like mine pretty good. I wear mine very low, maybe 2+ inches below the waistband of my underwear. The lower the better in my opinion.

Part of the male side of the velcro is exposed and kind of grabs my underwear so I dont really have a problem with it riding up.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010

3. SagKC

SagKC

Wearing it low is key. I had the same problem at first with mine riding up and being uncomfortable. After reading on GT about the need to ensure they are kept low, tried it and it worked great.
    I felt like it was too low at times when I first got mine, but you certainly feel the comfort when wearing it low. Had to work it a few days to find the right level and position, then literally forget it's there!

4. dakrat

dakrat

what pistol are you using it with? you have to match it with the right size pistol or else it wont be comfortable.

5. RGVGuy

RGVGuy

Yup, Smartcarry should hang on your hips,a couple inches below your natural waist or belt line. With my G 30, the rear of the grip and slide are just below my belt, so when I sit, the muzzle is angled down and resting on the seat in front of me.
    As for bending over, I found that "stooping" by bending my legs more and not bending at the waist seems to help with the belly dig.

I've only had my Tx CPL for about 3 weeks so I'm no expert at this yet, maybe some long time carriers will chime in.
    Keep working with it, I've actually forgotten that it's there some times....I hope I remember that it's there if I really need it!!!:supergrin:

6. cubbyjg

cubbyjg

I will be carrying a glock 26 and they sent me a small smartcarry. Gun fits fine. I called and talked to Charlie at smartcarry and he said that the back straps should be closer to my waist while the front part of the holster should be about 1-2inches below my belt line. So the holster should be angled down. I will play around with it more during the weekend.

7. SagKC

SagKC

Charlie was very helpful as well when I ordered mine. I found the back rides up and is abrasive/uncomfortable if I start with it around my waist as you describe. I will usually start with mine a couple inches lower, or level front to back, then invariably the back rides up and ends up about the position you described.
    Of course, we're all built different, and maybe my fat butt is pushing the back strap up!! Keep testing...you'll find the perfect spot!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  8. cubbyjg

cubbyjg

Well i just did my first Wally Walk since getting my CHL and my goodness, it was an annoying and painful one. By the time i got in my car, it was already uncomfortable. My belt buckle was lodged into my gut because the back of the gun was pushing up against it. i dont have a large gut but i wasnt able to even bend over to pick up the receipt i dropped. im starting to think i have to put the straps around my butt just to keep the holster low on my body. So far, im disappointed with this holster but i wont give up just yet.

9. NAS T MAG

NAS T MAG

I wear mine at 11 o'clock with the gun (whatever one I'm carrying) just below my belt. Everything up to a G19 is comfortable. I would experiment with various positions. There are many options for this deep concealment device.

10. cubbyjg

cubbyjg

The only problem is that it keeps riding back up towards my waist. I have stretched this thing to try to keep it aroun my hips that im afraid i will rip the elastic apart. It is very comfortable at 11 oclock but as soon as i sit down, the back of my gun is pressed up against my waist and is under my belly.

11. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

That's normal. I'm 5'11'' and 210.
    I hate to ask but what is your height and weight?

12. cubbyjg

cubbyjg

5'7" and 210 (i know, im working on losing weight).

13. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

So you are close to me build. Seems your issues are about the same as mine.
    I do not see it as a problem, just a issue of the design.

14. MarccraM

MarccraM

Most of you are reporting what I have found to be true:smartcarry although clever and a nice idea just isn't comfortable for most.

I have three of them in various sizes and the ONLY gun I have been able to carry with "moderate" comfort is a tiny .380 mouse gun... Otherwise...pleeeeze.. Its great when you get in your car and the gun gets mashed into your junk.. Then you squirm around to "move" things around for relief! :). Ugh!

I know some people love them but I don't get it. Charlie the owner is a super nice guy however...

NOTE: the clincher for me though, I was wearing one one day with my wife and son with me. We were eating at a place sitting in a booth and I was sitting opposite my son... When you sit, the angle of the gun basically is "forward facing" and I realized that my .357 was basically pointing at my child.. I promptly went out the the car and took out the gun and locked it up.... I'm not going to wear a holster that puts a firearm pointing at anyone.:wow:

15. FAS1

FAS1

When I wear mine w/G26 it is usually just w/Tshirt and shorts (no belt). Worn low, holster centered in front. With a belt and jeans or pants it's not as comfortable and I will switch to a Supertuck. Some situations I choose to switch to P3AT and pocket carry which is the most comfortable/discreet if needed. If I run I use the Keltec w/bellyband at 2:00.

Seems carrying gives a whole new meaning to the clothing ACCESSORIES that MEN need to buy. :supergrin:

16. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Being over weight by around 20 pounds I find the same happens to me now. My doctor warned me my Medicines are making losing weight difficult.

Try to place the straps over your hips and along the line of where your spine connects to your pelvic bone.

Look at these links for details for the Smartcarry: instruction sheet and photos pages. ;)

Instruction Sheet

Photos

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  17. cubbyjg

cubbyjg

In my opinion, when i checked out those pictures, it appears to me that it is closer to his waist than his hip bones. Also his holster seems to be angled downward which i cannot get mine to do. I am now starting to consider other holsters now which should be a blast :upeyes:

18. joeslide

joeslide

I've found that the Smart Carry is very specific to your needs. During the summer with loose fitting shorts where you main activity is walking - it excels. But to be honest - ever since my MTAC came in, I haven't worn my SC at all.

Good luck.

19. cubbyjg

cubbyjg

Well i went to a gun shop today and talked to a very helpful associate. i ended up picking up a desantis thumb break scabbard owb holster. This is so much easier to wear. I think i will still keep the smartcarry and use it around the house or when i am wearing shorts. Now i need to find a gun belt