close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help with my Gas forced-air furnace. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by lonewolf01, Mar 4, 2010.

1. lonewolf01

lonewolf01

I have a 3 year old furnace that for the last 3 weeks has been acting strangely. When I get up in the morning and turn the heat up it fires up fine and blows hot air. But, after approx. 30 min of blowing hot air and BEFORE it reaches the set temp it cuts off for a minute or two and then fires backup. It seems to repeat this cycle quite often until it reaches the set temp. The air is always hot but it just stops for a minute here and there. I do not have a variable/programable thermostat. I changed the batteries and reset it but the issue continues. Next step, I guess, is to replace the thermostat...right? Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Camper10

Camper10

but I don't think it should be running for 30 minutes unless it's way undersized or you keep it around 32 degrees in the house at night.

What's your house SQF and furnace size? Say 1600 sqf might have a 100,000 btu size model.

There could be a safety feature to cut off after running that long...anyone heard of that?

Always good to get a HVAC guy out and check it out, it may need a cleaning or might have another problem. I heard of a natural gas unit being run with Propane and clogged the heat exchanger with carbon buildup big time.

3. lonewolf01

lonewolf01

I kep it at 68 degresss at night and turn it up to 71 in the morning. It only does this when it's warming up to a new set temp. It has worked well up to 3 weeks ago.

4. Unlocked

Unlocked 4 8 15 16 23 42 CLM

Sounds like it is cycling on and off of a high limit switch. First step would be to check your air filter.

Edit: Is everything cutting out or just the burners?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  5. Souper Phly

Souper Phly

This ^^^ and if it hasn't been serviced since install a clean and check would be a good idea flame sensor could need a cleaning.