close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help with media center Gateway pc

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Dalton Wayne, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

I have the gateway pc media center edtion it has cable jacks ad a built in dvr tv turner plus a dvd burner,.My question can i hook up a vcr and burn a dvd from the tape?

2. hogglock

hogglock

Should be able to do it. You're probably gonna need some software for compressin' at the very least. If you want to get into rippin' and burnin' I've found a good place to check out is a site called CD Freaks (google is your friend here). If they can't help you do what you want, nobody can.

3. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

No.

You'd have to get a capture program to put the VCR data onto the HDD, then encode it and use a burning proggie to burn it to the DVD-R.

Can take up quite a bit of drive space and isn't exactly legal under some interpretations of the law (namely, that of the RIAA...)

4. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

YES it's legal (arguably) and NO you likely don't have everything you need.

the capture card is the core of the problem. if your capture card does a good job of it, you get a good quality copy and it happens smoothly. this takes a FAST dedicated hard drive, lots of ram, a fast processor, and sense enough to leave it do one thing while it's working on compressing the raw video into a DVD size format.

so. this is like asking if your pickup can run the Pikes Peak Hill Climb.

yes. not easily or cheaply. but sure, if you want to make that investment in hardware and software. what it takes that you DON'T have , depends on what you have now, and how well you want it to perform.

i'd suggest you fiddle with it, learn the 'home grown' work arounds, and figure it'll be some months before you get fully informed.

don't think this is a push two buttons kind of job. it's more like, a college semester course..

5. Dalton Wayne

I forgot to make one think clear, these are not movies or any thing copyrighted they are my own personal videos I want to transfer to dvd so I don't loose them, I only have one working vcr and don't plan on replacing it when it dies, vacation videos stuff like that.

6. Dalton Wayne

here is why I asked and what the media center can do and I have done.
    you can hookup the cable into the pc watch cable and record cable and burn it at the same time, it also has a built in dvr tivo like device, these were top of the line gateways 3 of them cost 5 grand I bought one for my wife, one for myself and one for my son.

7. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

What have you tried so far?

If it works like a TIVO, it ought to work fine for what you want to do.

The biggest issue might be to change the resolution on the capture app so the HDD can keep up, but once it is on the HDD you are good to go. It might even work as a Quick-Copy scheme, requiring little or no HDD space!

I'd just hook everything up and let us know if you run into any problems.