close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help with Macbook Pro 13

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Fed Five Oh, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Fed Five Oh

Fed Five Oh NRA Member

Need some help.

I bought my daughter a Macbook Pro 13 about 4 weeks ago.

Dropped her off at college and day 2 her computer will not wake up after going into sleep mode.

Any suggestions? Zapping the PRAM didn't help.

2. youngdocglock

youngdocglock

sounds like a hardware failure. When the computer goes into sleep it basically stores all the running programs in the D partition of the disk. When you press the power key or move the mouse, it sends a signal from the CPU through the bus and into the drive telling it to preform the action of re-instating the data thus turning the unit on.

If the harddrive has failed, or a bus connection is not soldered correctly it will fail to do this, resetting, battery removal or messing with the Pram will not remedy it.

Take it to an apple store and they should be able to trouble shoot it on site, and if not they will give you a free replacement :) all apple products come with a 1 year warantee that covers the hardware and most installed software.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012

3. Fed Five Oh

Fed Five Oh NRA Member

Not what I wanted to hear, but I do deal in reality.

4. youngdocglock

youngdocglock

well there is one more possible cause.

Does the laptop have any pannels on the underside where you can access the ram?

If so there should be a small round battery with two wires coming off it that connects to the motherboard. This is the BIOS battery.

If for some reason this is junk. it could easily cause lots of issues, including not waking from sleep, restarting right after the apple screen, Loss of data or just not turning on at all.

Can you get the unit to boot to the startup menu? if so check the system date and time, turn off the unit then back on about 20 min later, if the date and time are the same. the BIOS battery is junk.

if you can find it, throw a $3 replacement in and see if that works. If not its either rootable software flaw, or hardware failure.

If i were closer to you i would offer to take a look, i am a A+ certified technician and i specialize in laptop hardware....

Good luck

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  5. sopdan

sopdan

It's brand new, don't f up your warranty by trying to do something yourself.... just take it to the Apple Store. If you do try to do anything yourself and are unsuccessful, they will be able to figure as much out... and then you're out of luck.

Just my opinion. :)

6. youngdocglock

youngdocglock

Good point.

I dont however believe that accessing the RAM compartment voids the warantee.

However do be careful taking the screws out, they get all pissy when they are all scratched up :p

Better yet listen to him ^^^^^ just bring it in and let them deal. less work on you :)

7. sopdan

sopdan

My MacBook Pro is a little over a year old, and there is no separate RAM panel on the bottom, you'd have to remove the entire bottom panel, FWIW. I've actually never had to take it in for service, though, fortunately. :)

8. Fed Five Oh

Fed Five Oh NRA Member

Thanks.!!!

She's hundreds of miles away. Sounds like the apple store is the answer.

9. kingclassic

kingclassic

Hold the power button in for a few seconds and it should shut down - then restart. If that doesn't work make an appointment at the Genius Bar.