Help with laptop

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Dan0076, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Dan0076

Dan0076 Special Member

My stepson's laptop won't turn on. My wife took it to the shop today and they said that the power jack needed to be replaced because it was very loose in the 'housing'. The part is $40 and the labor was $200. The kicker is 'That may not be the problem, it could still be the MB'.

I used to repair avionics to the component level. So I'm thinking I can take this apart and replace the jack myself...Although I'm kinda apprehensive about taking apart a laptop.

My question is, does anyone know where I could acquire a schematic for a Toshiba Satellite P105-S6004? Or maybe directions for taking it apart? Some of the screws on the bottom of the laptop are marked F6, some are marked F4. So I'm thinking there has to be directions which state remove all screws marked F*.

Thanks for any help.

2. Ljunatic

Ljunatic On The Fringe

3. vanderson

vanderson

Great site. Dont buy into the pc shops BS, the part is cheaper than $40 search it on eBay and save the labor cost. PC Shops rip you off especially local ones because they need to compete with GeekSquad, etc. Ljunatic posted a great website, follow the instructions and if you get stuck let us know!

4. Dan0076

Dan0076 Special Member

Excellent!

With directions like those I don't see how I could screw it up...knock on wood.

Now for the serious question. How much should I charge my stepson for my labor? :supergrin: