close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help with Internet Browser........can't update my webpage on AOL.......

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ATL Peach Girl, Sep 10, 2004.

1. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

First off let me say, yes I know AOL is a joke....but I get it for FREE as a "perk" thru my company so I use them. If it was not free I would not be on AO-Hell......

anyway, when I try to update or create a new webpage and I get this message:

"Easy Designer (that's AOL's webpage program) can not load for one of several reasons. You may be using a browser that is lower than Internet Explorer 4.0 or Netscape 4.06. You can run Easy Designer by going to keyword: "browser" and upgrading (I tried that and all it is is a new version of AOL they have you download, and I have 3 AOL's on my PC, all the newest version:( ). Your browser's security level should be set at medium (it is, I checked). You may also have an out of date JVM. To update your browser's Java Virtual Machine go to: www.Microsoft.com/java" (I did go there and it talks about them phasing out Java there and I can't make out what I need to do to get the latest---that is some technical stuff over on that darned microsoft website!!!)

Where do I go to see what version of Internet Explorer I am running?? (I do not use Netscape, as it is a POS) Where do I go to update it??? I right clicked on Internet Explorer on my desk top and checked the properties......it is not telling me anything. I probably DO have an outdated version......and have NO clue what version I have or how to update it.

How do I get the latest Java whatever it is??? I see a little coffee mug icon on my desktop that says "Java Web Start"........

Thanks guys.......

--------A frazzled damsel in distress......;g

2. RaginCajun

RaginCajun

Peachie,

Start off by going to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
    Use Internet Explorer to get there, not that AOHell browser. You should be able to get all of your updates done there.

Please PM me if you have any questions at all.

Paul

3. Harlequin

Harlequin I need a weapon

You can update Java here. It's not the sucky MS vitual machine, but the actual java.

4. Jtemple

Jtemple Geek

Fire up Internet Explorer, go to Help --> About Internet Explorer.

5. Jtemple

Jtemple Geek

You also might want to do yourself a favor and get rid of all but one of those instances of AOL on your machine.

6. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

Ok......

I am running Internet Explorer 6.0.......so all is ok there I think......

now to figure out this Java stuff......don't understand that at all......

7. RaginCajun

RaginCajun

8. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

It is very likely that having 3 versions of their software installed has corrupted your IE.

Is your virtual domain something like aol.com/peachgirl/?

You probably ought to be using an FTP client like WSFTP (File Transfer Protocol) to make changes in that case.

If that's not practical, try deleting ALL of their browsers and crap, all but the dialer, anyway; then do a Repair on IE from the control panel. Just act like you are trying to uninstall it...it will ask you what you want done.

BTW, Jave is the engine that powers a lot of the login interfaces on web mail sites, as well as most online games such as Yahoo's collection. It merely adds functionality to IE, sadly lacking in the antique version they bundled with their OS'es...which led to a defamation lawsuit from Sun!

Definitely get the actual Jave Runtime 1.4; the M$ Java Virtual Machine is worthless.

Best regards,

FastVFR

9. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

Apparently this is a wide spread problem on AOL.

I found some message boards and there is some mightly chapped people on AOL with the same problem as I am having.....according to what I am reading AOL is SUPPOSED to fix it in September.......

People are really ragging saying AOL is the highest priced service and we get this......and how they are leaving.....

It's a good thing I get it for free, and I think I am gonna look into putting my webpage elsewhere.......

Thanks everyone......