close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help with grip!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by cubbyjg, Mar 26, 2010.

1. cubbyjg

cubbyjg

I have taken my g26 quite a few times to the range and consistently been shooting to the left. Based on what i have read on this forum i feel that i am jerking the trigger or something. I have also read that with the glocks, you have to put more of your index finger on the trigger which can help alleviate the problem of shooting left. However when i do this, my grip on the gun is not as comfortable and solid since i am having to put the back of the grip directly over the meaty part of my hand instead of where my hand creates the natural crevice when you grip something. I feel like i am having to turn my wrist towards my body to get more trigger control. I tried to take some pictures of what i mean. The gun has been safety checked and i have snap caps in there for illustration purposes.

Normal method of gripping:

[​IMG]

Modified grip to get more index finger on the trigger:

[​IMG]

I am not sure if my hand is too small for the gun or something. Any help on how i can get more of my index finger on the trigger or ways to improve my grip are much appreciated. I really like this glock and do not want to stop shooting it because i cant get my shots to go where i want or need them to. :faint:

2. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Are You using the supporting hand while shooting?
    If so, give the right hand a little more loose grip and hold the pistol stronger in your left (supporting) hand...something like 60/40 if You know what I mean.
    I'm really bad with the handguns (newbie here), but this in fact is helping me a lot.
    Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010

3. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Can you dry fire the gun without moving the sights to the left?

If you can, you should be able to shoot the gun well, but your trigger control isn't good.

Click on the little 8 below my avatar to go to my blog and read the articles about trigger control and using the reset.

4. cubbyjg

cubbyjg

If i have more if my index finger on the trigger, the sights dont move to the left. Its when i use just the pad of my finger, does the sights move to the left as i pull the trigger. I am also using two hands when shooting.

5. bentbiker

bentbiker

If you do as suggested by Nestor and supply most of the gripping strength with your weak hand, you don't have to worry about your strong hand not being as "solid".

6. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

IMO, the middle of the trigger should be about half way between the finger tip and the first joint.

BUT, hand size sometimes requires variation, I like to tell students to do what ever it takes to shoot the gun well. Ideally you want the gun in your hand in such a way that it is basically in line with the forearm, but if you can't reach the trigger effectively, you'll have to turn the gun some.

THE most important part of accurate shooting is good trigger control. You can aim perfectly all day long, but if you don't pull the trigger without pulling the sights off target, you miss.

7. ronin.45

ronin.45

In fact it does seem that your hand is too small for the gun. It appears that you have short fingers which causes you to pull the trigger with the tip of your finger instead of the pad. This puts sideways pressure on the gun and makes it go left. It doesn't mean you can't learn to shoot the gun. You will just have to practice enough that you can learn to keep the gun steady throughout the trigger press. Dry fire is the best solution. Dry fire until you can keep the sights steady every time the trigger breaks.

8. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

My two cents:

Glock or not, you should be pulling the trigger with the pad of the first joint on your index finger. If the joint itself covers the trigger, it's too much. Don't compensate for jerking the trigger by trying to pull the gun the other way (i.e. two wrongs don't make a right). You need to be able to pull the trigger properly without moving the sights one way or another. When you're working with the trigger on the range, don't rush your shots. Also, toss some snap-caps randomly in your magazine. This will help weed out flinching problems as well as give you malfunction practice.

As other people are saying, your weak hand should be doing the majority of the gripping. This should leave your trigger hand to have a bit more control over the pull.

The key to triggers is dry firing.

Also, when finding where the gun should be in your hand, hold the gun so that it lines up with your elbow. This is the proper position in the hand. I will say, however, all that matters for slow fire is sight alignment and trigger pull. Hand position is going to give you follow-up shots. So it's still very important, but most people consider it too much when they think about accuracy.

Lastly, it is a GLOCK. Many people dislike the guns simply based on the fact that they don't fit their hand. While I didn't have a problem with it; my HK's far better fit MY hand than my glocks ever did.

9. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

My finger position is the area behind the finger nail-that's just me
    Do some searches on trigger control,there is a BUTT LOAD of great info out there
    Butch's blog is GREAT
    My initial glock shootin was low left:dunno:and HUGE groups:crying:
    now with some INTERNET info and A LOT of dry fire and real shootin I'm quite a bit better
    My practice is mostly 25 yards to 250 feet at old saw blades and other assorted victims(or prairie puppies:whistling:) and my close stuff is much easier now
    My best puppy spank shot was a measured 254 feet with my G23-He was as shocked as I was:faint:

Practice practice practice

10. hickok45

hickok45 Millennium Member

I have really long fingers and big hands. I break all the rules concerning which part of the index finger should contact the trigger. I'm about two joints back. It all comes down to trigger break, even if you're pulling the trigger with your big toe.

Follow through and making sure the sights are still on the target when that striker hits the primer. That's what matters. You can have a perfect grip, but if the sight is not still right there perfectly aligned when the primer feels the firing pin hit it in the face, you "ain't" hitting what you planned to hit. For what it's worth.

11. cubbyjg

cubbyjg

Thanks everyone for the advice. Time to practice some more and work on keeping it steady with dry firing.

12. Seawolf

Seawolf

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  13. Giggity-Giggity

Giggity-Giggity Giggity-Goo!!!

If you're still having problems, then you can always ask the range officer or a shooting instructor for one on one training.

Good luck!

14. nedfolks

nedfolks

get some adjustable sights

15. cubbyjg

cubbyjg

16. SargeMO

SargeMO

Have somebody confirm that your gun is properly zeroed before you worry about anything else.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  17. krazey karl

krazey karl

try a mag extention.also try cocking your head inward so your dominant eye lines up your shot straighter.

18. rtn

rtn

The entry on your blog concerning trigger control and how to improve / master it was invaluable to me. I went from scattershot 20" "groups" at 25 yards to 3" groups in a week or two. Without the ball / dummy drills I had NO IDEA what I was doing wrong. This blog entry should be a sticky somewhere on this site.