close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help with Gout

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glenn129, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Glenn129

Glenn129

Have you ever had gout? What kind of food should I not eat? What medicine did your doctor prescribe? Any advice that would help my sore foot will be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. deputy tom

deputy tom

Go see the Doc and see if this will work for you.It did for me.tom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allopurinol

3. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

If you search gout on this board they have some interesting threads. I suffer from gout and it is a horrible form of arthritis. I would suggest not eating red meats, stop drinking booze, losing weight and getting some colchicine from your doctor. Gout hurts like hell and it is not fun.

4. chuckman

chuckman

I am sorry you have gout. Or as the locals call it, "the gouch." I get it in my left toe once, maybe twice a year, and it hurts like hell. Google 'gout' and see the foods to avoid. Booze, buts, protein-rich foods. Basically everything good. Allopurinol is the med to treat, and indocin is the med for flares. Good luck.

5. Glenn129

Glenn129

I have been to a doctor. After 2 days of pain I could not stand anymore I had my foot Xrayed and visited his office. He put me on a steroid and pain reliever then sent me to get blood work. I will go back when he calls. I will see what he says, I was wondering what to expect for medicine and diet, thanks.

6. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Black cherry juice is an instant cure for my once every two year attack. The downside: your bowels will do an incredible immitation of Old Faithful. HH

7. Adjuster

Adjuster

Where do you get black cherry juice? No more alcohol of any kind is the cure.

8. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member

Been suffering with this since 1987. Go to a Nephrologist and get the real testing: 24 hour urine collection, blood work, etc. The regimine he put me on includes:

1. Cut out red meat. I cut back a little, but not much, so I still have occasional attacks.

2. Cut out alcohol. NP, I didn't drink much anyhow.

3. Increase water intake. I do 3 - 5 liters H2O/day and it helps a lot.

4. Knock down the acute attack immediately. I had to take Colchicine and it took/takes about 36 hours til it starts really working.

5. Once you have stopped the attack, plan to be on Allopurinol for the rest of your life. It is an old drug, mine costs me like $5/month and it reliably prevents attacks, or at least major attacks.

6. Keep up with the Dr. appts to keep this under control!

9. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

Gout is fairly common for males over 35 or 40. For scripts, Indomethacin works for me - only need it if I have a flare-up, and I haven't had one in about a year.

As a home remedy, I'll second black cherry juice. I've read that concoctions made of apple cider vinegar and lemon juice may also work.

What foods to avoid for me is not consistent. Booze does not trigger it. I think seafood (specifically, shrimp) triggers it for me, but only about 10% of the time. I eat plenty of red meat and it has no ill-effects that I can tell.

For maintenance, I just drink cherry juice occasionally, and lots of lemon with my ice tea if I am out at a restaurant. Beyond that, I don't give it a second thought on a day-to-day basis.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  10. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Both of our local healthfood stores carry it. HH

11. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

FTW.

Also helps with the Uric Acid kidney stones many of us get first.

12. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

I don't drink alcohol. Next urban legend?

13. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

One out of three big-box grocery store sells it in my area - Giant Eagle.

14. latham44

latham44 Saint Boondock

I agree. At least it works for me.

15. JBG30

JBG30

For those who have been diagnosed with it could you describe the pain location. I have twice in the last month woke up in the morning with a pain in my big toe that kept me from walking or putting weight on it and I assumed gout. However the pain was more in the ball of my foot behind the big toe joint and usually gone by the night.

16. LoadedTech

LoadedTech

I get flair ups every now and then, I've read causes derive from red meat, shell fish, beer/alcohol, liver. My right toe joint swells up to twice the size of the other foot, I hate gout!

Heres a better list:The following have been known to bring about a gout attack and may be contributory causes of gout:
    • obesity
    • heavy alcohol consumption, especially beer
    • a diet high in purine foods, such as seafood and meat, and meat organs
    • extremely low calorie diets
    • regular aspirin use
    • regular niacin use
    • regular use of diuretic medicines
    • medicines taken by transplant patients, such as cyclosporine
    • fast weight loss
    • chronic kidney disease
    • hypertension (high blood pressure)
    • psoriasis
    • tumors
    • myeloma
    • hemolytic anemia
    • lead poisoning
    • hypothyroidism
    • surgery
    • Kelley-Seegmiller syndrome
    • Lesch-Nyhan syndrome

17. Danny Reid

Danny Reid

When I had it I was given Colchicine and Endomethacin. Fortunately, I've only had it twice and haven't suffered an attack in a few years now. To answer your question, the pain was localized to the ball of my left foot and there was a nasty red knot on the inside of my left foot right below the big toe. And yes...it hurt!!

Be sure to drink a lot of water, too.

18. Carolina Drifter

Carolina Drifter CLM

Go to Walmart and buy some Royal brand 100% bee pollen 500mg tabs and take 2 a day. Give it 2 weeks to work and if it doesn't go to the Doc.

19. JBG30

JBG30

Sounds pretty similar, down to the same foot, thanks.

20. Tx-G30

Tx-G30

Its mostly around your toe joints. You will notice how the skin area around it turns red (inflamation) and swells up. Some people get it in their wrists, elbows or knees. Either way, it hurts like a mutha when any pressure is applied. Even having the bed sheets lightly graze the inflamed site will hurt A LOT.

I get them around my toes, ball of my foot, outter side of my foot, on top of my foot and in my knees (swells up like a balloon until I can't bend my knee and I end up having a syringe inserted into the knee area to drain the fluids).

Usual treatment is meds, which includes Colchicine and indomethacin (for inflamation) as well as some sort of meds for the pain (hydrocodone, tylenol 3 etc). You can also have Allupurinol prescribed to you to prevent flair ups (you have to take this pill once a day for the rest of your life) but with this pill, I still get flair ups. Just recently, I became allergic to colchicine so they replaced it with something else (just got back from the VA and haven't looked in the bag yet).

There is a whole rap sheet of foods that will flair up gout. Off the top of my head they include: alcohol, brocholi, spinach, red meats and peanuts.

I have heard that cranberry juice helps with gout.

If you think you have gout, have your doctor take a blood test for uric acid. That is the crystal that is pinching your nerves causing the pain.

Hope this helps.