Help with "Glock" sight pusher

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by RH45, Jul 17, 2007.

1. RH45

RH45

I tried to do a search on this and didn't come up with anything that helped me.
    I have a model 19 that has Trijocon night sights on that I think are factory and have never had any issues drifting sights to where I wanted them to be with a brass punch and a hammer, but, this one doesn't want to go where I want it to go. It overshoots where I want it to be.
    A buddy of mine picked up a "Glock" brand sight adjusting tool (stamped for 17, 19 right on it)that he is letting me borrow and when I asked him how to use it he said he didn't have a clue, but, I SHOULD be able to figure it out.

Apparently, I'm not as smart as he's giving me credit for. I screwed around with it for a while and decided to put up a post here to see if somebody can help my old, feeble mind.

The tool has a knurled wheel that allows you to move a plate that rides on two roll pins. It looked to me like that plate SHOULD go in to the back of the slide cuts, where it rides on the frame rails, but, it won't quite go in and I don't want to force it.

Any help would really be apprecitated!!!

2. Ducati Monster

Ducati Monster Dismembered

I'm not sure I read ya... or if I have the same model. Mine doesn't have the 17, 19 stamping. S'pose to be for all model Glocks.

The instructions suck. Says to loosen the thumb nut, then align the slide rail cuts to the slide rail plate. Push the slide in till it stops, then tighten thumb nut.

Hope this helps... looks like so:

3. RH45

RH45

Thanks for the reply, and the picture. The one you have looks very similar, and that is how I THOUGHT it was supposed to work, but, the plate didn't want to go in to the slide, and I didn't want to force it. I pulled the slide off this time and kind of wiggled the sight tool and the plate finally slid in.
    What is the purpose of the knurled wheel that is above the sight??

4. Ducati Monster

Good deal!
    You tighten it down to hold the sight snug to the slide &/or tool. It's for installation/removal, kinna keeps the sight from falling outta to tool before it presses into the slide. I wouldn't use it for just bumping the sight a little. If you do need it in the future, put a little piece of tape on the sight where the thumb screw would meet it... should prevent scratches on steel sights.

Shoot'em straight!

5. RH45

RH45

It is all starting to make sense now!!

Thanks again for the help!!!!

6. M4inCA

M4inCA pho_kit_all

Ducati - You are pushing the sights the wrong direction.

Out to the right
    In to the left

If you take a look at the instructions, you'll see they diagram this.

I did the same thing!

7. RH45

RH45

I'm going to guess that he just quick stuck the pusher in the slide and took a picture to try and show me how it is supposed to work. Without the picture, I think I would still be lost.

I have since found out that the sight pusher I borrowed, that I THOUGHT was new, and didn't want to scratch, had actually been rusted up at one time and then sandblasted and painted.
    Anybody that knows about rust knows that when something rusts, it grows larger.
    Between the rust, and new paint certainly explains to me why it didn't want to slip right in to the slide.

Thanks again for the help!!!!

8. Ducati Monster

Good eye M4! I turned the slide rail plate around to install Operators. They hang over the front of the dovetail as to where the tool only allows for rear hang-off. I should turn the plate around now before I forget to... Someone might want to use it at the range.
    Right you are Sir. Glad you're on the right track.
    Ahh, & the mystery unfolds...

PS: The Glock pusher works great for factory sights or Meps. But I wouldn't recommend it in general. I like the MGW tools.

9. RH45

RH45

As they say, "beggers can't be choosers"

Hopefully, I'll never run in to a sight as stubborn as this one was!!

Thanks again for the help!!

10. adhocglock

adhocglock NRA Member

So what if you go too far the first time? Do you push it all the way out to the right and start in again to the left?

11. Ducati Monster

Naw, you just back it up. It's clear once the sights off the tool (on the slide).

12. switch625

switch625 S. S. Squirrel

MGW is the only tool I'd use.