Help with data? I am Another reloader newbie!!!!

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by LindaWave, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Joe H

Joe H

Thanks, now I understand

SARDG likes this.
  2. fredj338

fredj338

I made a little jig, finish nails into a piece of 1x2. Just drop the case over the nail & spray. For handguns i rarely use the one shot.

3. FlyfishermanMike

FlyfishermanMike

Every powder and appropriate bullet weight seem to have a range where it functions optimally and accuracy peaks. These ranges can often be predicted based on the powders characteristics and burn rate. There's something to be said about tailoring specific loads to eek out the guns maximum potential and that's part of the fun of reloading. Sometimes I want a load that will work well in a variety of guns and the load I posted is just that. Not only is that load accurate and works in every gun I've tried, I've seen dozens of people recommend the same load so I'm not alone. I see trends like this is every caliber. 5gr. Bullseye 230gr. 45 ACP, 10.4 gr. Blue Dot 180 gr. 10mm, 21.5 gr H110 310 gr. 44 mag, 9gr. Unique 255 gr. 45 Colt. 5 gr. Unique 158 gr. 38 Special. I could go on... I didn't start a new thread and tell everyone what to load. I replied to a request for specific info.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

LindaWave, 10or45 and fredj338 like this.
  4. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

Okaaay... tried the shake and bake double spritz... specifically, put 50 rounds of new Starline in ZipLoc, spritzed once, shook well. spritz again - but double the first spritz as there was no way that 2 spritzes and shaking was gonna do anything relating to lubing. Shook some more, waited 10 minutes and began loading.

Absolutely SUCKED! Expander sticking BIG TIME to mouth. Tried to get a rhythm going, but real jam-o-matic. Powder everywhere! Also got two sideways primers after the sticking cases. Probably shook the press so violently that the primers were hopping around in the mag or elsewhere in the process.

I have no idea what those of you who run your presses without One Shot (per instructions) are experiencing, but I can now say that baggie-spritzing is one and done for me! Matter of fact, I took my remaining 25 rounds out of the casefeeder and tube. So it was 1/2 and done for me.

I cannot begin to explain how smooooooth my process has been with One Shot (instructions). It's as though I started with a lb of butter, threw a stick in the casefeeder, a stick in the bullet feeder, melted a stick and dumped in the primer mag, and smeared the last stick all over the shellplate. I mean it is that super-smooth - and easy on the press and ME.

Appreciate opinions... but now you know mine. Too bad too... would have loved for it to be comparable and work to save save product and time. I can see that the key is getting lube into the case mouth. Outside undoubtedly helps as well.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  5. LindaWave

LindaWave

Yes uncle bob this is true, but also safety. This is my first venture. I am taking a lot of time and also the time of a new friend, to make sure I am setting everything correctly. I could not find exact matches in the 2 manuals and multiple sites and therefore I was concerned with safety. Components are more scarce than manufactured rounds!

6. LindaWave

LindaWave

Wow I can’t believe you tried that ! You taught me how to spray!!!!

SARDG likes this.
  7. LindaWave

LindaWave

I appreciate your perspective.

8. Taterhead

Taterhead

Well, I dry tumble so my cases have some residual carbon lubricity in the neck. No issues with the expander sticking. In and out it goes.

I do notice the expander extracting when breaking out new 10mm cases though. Definitely.

XX75, SARDG, 10or45 and 1 other person like this.
  9. judgecrater

judgecrater

When I shoot One Shot I do intentionally get some in the case to prevent the expander from sticking. Also followed Dillon's recommendation and not over clean the brass with the dry vibrator. Additionally new brass can be a real problem without some lube, inside and out.

SARDG and xTerpx like this.
  10. 10or45

10or45 NRA Benefactor Life Member

Definitely invest in 3 different loading manuals. compare the same loads in the manuals and you'll see differences. One may be way off. Typos and miss prints happen, this is why you compare. The Lee manual is just copied from others. I'd go with Speer, Hornady, Accurate, etc. Also Hodgdon has a great website with online data I use often. Reloading is something you need to research and study on. Faster burning powders reach peak pressure faster so use them in lower velocity loads. Slower powders are safer to use in higher velocity loads. This may seem backwards, but a big reason to educate yourself on it.

HP38 is an exact match for W231.

George Kaplan likes this.
  11. 10or45

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  12. 10or45

Very few of my guns have ever had a factory load shot through them.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  13. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

Ultrasonic, same as new for me... sticky expander without neck lube.

14. fredj338

fredj338

I am not sure you can over ckean with dry tumbling. The other reason I dont like wet cleaning, cases are too clean & stick in reloading.

George Kaplan, judgecrater and 10or45 like this.
  15. Wojo88

Wojo88

I'm gonna have to try this "One Shot" stuff, as I posted earlier I do not lube my cases for 9mm and never have. The case length is so short I just don't see the need to or for feel any resistance when resizing on my Dillon. I use a polish conditioner when I tumble them and they come out shiny with some lubricity already there. It seems like spraying them becomes another step to do therefore more time added. I've been doing it this way for 30 years so maybe I'm just set in my process. Will give it a try though and see. The only pistol cases that I have used some lube on a few times were 44 mag and these were new Starline brass

16. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.

How long do you think it takes to put cases in a gallon Zip Lock bag, spay 3 or 4 squirts in the bag close, shake and repeat, then dump them out and let dry. I just put them in the case feeder. You do this first and buy the time you fill primer tubes. Powder, bullets, etc. the cases are dry and ready to load. I have been loading on a Dillon 550 for 20 years and then a 650 for 20 years and you can tell the difference and I also clean the brass using Nu-Finish car polish also.

17. Wojo88

Wojo88

I just have to try it and see for myself, I just can't envision how much of a difference it can make when loading 9mm specifically. It may very well have a small difference but to me it then comes down to splitting hairs and I have added another step to my process regardless of the amount of time added.

18. OdinIII

OdinIII

Lube makes ton of difference in lever effort and general smoothness of operation. Something is wrong if you can’t tell a difference.

SARDG likes this.
  19. Wojo88

Wojo88

agree on other calibers but on 9mm? The piston stroke is so short and it already is silky smooth and effortless. I could use a pinky finger and run them.

20. Wojo88

Wojo88

agree on other calibers but on 9mm? The piston stroke is so short and it already is silky smooth and effortless. I could use a pinky finger and run them.