close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

help with dagnosing a gun problem

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by juramentado, Aug 14, 2004.

1. juramentado

juramentado

Forgive me if I make mistakes describing this prob. compared to you guys I'm a total newbie so here goes...

i just went through a few rounds with my Armscor 1911 hi-cap at the PNP range in Crame. I used both the range ammo and my own armscor bullets. I kept having this strange failure to fire, with the slide not completely closing on the round feeding into the chamber. 1/4th of the bullet was still visible. i had to pull the slide back, lock it and take the round out.

It happened quite a few times and I can't say it was caused of the range ammo because it happened with my first few rounds, which are new armscor.

What could be causing this?

2. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

try checking the chamber for gunk, if the gun is new maybe it needs breaking in:) just my .02 centavos

3. Allegra

Allegra

Failure to fire or feeding problem?
    Madami eh
    weak mag springs, too ttight extractors , buntis bala, dirty chamber etc

4. bulm540

bulm540

Check extractor, may have too much tension.

5. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

The above posts have covered a lot already.

To add, the new armscor barrels I've seen have very sharp corners in the chambers and very tight. I suggest polishing inside and very slowly run a 600 grit sand paper sa corners to break it.

If you're not up to it, a smith can do this for you for a very minimal charge. Refuse the initial suggestion (if ever) to ream the chamber "a little."

If you decide the smith route, have him check the lock-up timing. I've seen quite a few stock armscor units with elongated barrel link pins (close to breaking and causing erratic malfs) due to poor fitting. ;)

Good luck.

6. 9MX

9MX Rei!

or pakalikot mo kay mc_o. dremel lang ang katapat niyan;f

7. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Hehe, niloloko na nga ako ni doc eyecutter kasi mukhang titirahin ko na naman ejector ko. ;f

8. casmot

casmot Re membered

Or have it homogenized :)

9. glockfan33

glockfan33

I'm almost possitive it's a faulty mag. I had the same problem when I got a couple of aftermarket mags for my Springfield & Kimber 1911 and after realizing they were crap, I invested on some factory's and they worked flawlessly. Stay away from the aftermarket mags. My second guess would be dirty feeding ramp and thridly an extractor problem.

Good Luck ;f

10. vega

vega

Armscor uses Mecgar mags. I don't think they have factory mags.

What happened to the offending rounds? Were you able to shoot it too? Like what mc_o said, polish the chamber first. Next time you go to the range, chamber check all your ammos.

vega

11. bulm540

bulm540

If it is a faulty mag, the round would not chamber. Round wound hit the ramp and stop.

12. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

How many rounds have your fired through the gun? Maybe cebuboy is right, you might need to break-in the gun first.

13. juramentado

juramentado

thanks fore the replies everyone. :Dand sorry for the delayed reply; work has been very hectic :(

Allegra: I would call it a feeding problem coz the round fired naman when I reloaded them into the magazine.

vega: yes the rounds that jammed did fire. After I cleared them from the chambers, I reloaded them and shot them. ok naman..

the PNP range ammo was really dirty. it had this greenish waxy bits between the bullet and the casing. I tried to clean some of it away before shooting but I got carried away and just shot most of them without cleaning. :( But the same failure to feed occured with my first mag, full of new armscor rounds. to be honest, ever since I got the gun (more like inherited it), I haven't done extensive cleaning of the barrel, as much as I feel I should have done. when i got home, I cleaned the barrel thoroughly with WD-40 and I was surprised by the black residue I was getting from the brushes. ;P damn, I didn't think it was that dirty.

isn't the barrel suppose to be polished and "clean" in the inside from end to end? cos the surface near the chamber looks "rough" (dirty?) than the rest of the barrel. Is this dirty / residue?

Anyway, I'll try to eliminate each possible causes of the failure, starting with the dirty chamber and dirty ammo.

batangueno: the previous owner did use it, but I'm not sure how many rounds though..

thanks everyone..

14. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

there you go! problem solved!

you might want to get a gun-specific solvent to use for the barrel rather than WD-40.

WD-40 gums up when it dries which may add to reliability problems. use synthetic oils to lube you pistol.

I've been using hoppes no. 9 for cleaning the barrel (rarely) and Mobil 1 in all my pistols for the last 3 years since i ran out of breakfree CLP.

15. 9MX

9MX Rei!

doc,

why rarely, is it bad when you use hoppes often?;Q

16. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

di kasi nagagamit! hehehe ;f

my barrel is clean and there's minimal lead deposits even with the copper plated heads casmot and i use.

i only apply hoppes no. 9 when there's significant amount of lead after brushing and running patches.

so ang secret e gumamit ka nang malinis na bala! hard cast lead, plated or TMJ/FMJ and quality smokeless powder.

17. juramentado

juramentado

Eye Cutter: thanks for the tip. So far I've been cleaning the barrel like crazy with WD40. at first the wd40 started coming off the barrel black and obviously dirty but I stopped when the rags and paper napkins stopped showing dirt. I guess this means it's clean?

If I switch to Hoppes, what do I have to do to remove the wd40?

I'd like to just take the entire gun apart and clean every single piece but all I know is to field strip it. Where can i learn to do this?

I have a bottle of breakfree CLP but I've only used it for folding knives. expensive stuff but worth every drop. yung lang, I lost the little straw that comes with it. What is bettern than the 2, breakfree CLP or Hoppes?

18. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

FP-10. Also, you can use an empty eye-mo or visine bottle for your oil. ;)

19. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

the hoppes will remove it or use kerosene (w/c is the main ingredient of hoppes anyway)

If I can get a hold off FP-10 or Militec or Breakfree, why not. Kaso wala ako time maghanap sa mga stores. And I have a lot of Mobil 1 left over so that's what I use. Mag-search ka dito sa GT and you'll be surprised ang dami gumagamit ng Mobil 1. If it's good for the Mercedes F1 cars, it's good for my pistol!

You can use a 3cc or 5cc syringe and break off the sharp point of the needle with pliers para matipid maglagay ng oil. I also have a lot of small bottles from used eye drops that I use to put the Mobil 1 oil in.

20. jojo_G19

jojo_G19

DOC Eye Cutter,

tama ba ako? u use mobil 1? un ba ung engine oil?;f

jojo