close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help with carry/range purchase

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Minjin, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Minjin

Minjin

I'm hoping you guys can give me any insight on a purchase I've been agonizing over. I'm sure the responses will be biased in one direction but I know that coming into it. That said, I consider any input to be good input.

I'm trying to decide on a new carry gun. Being the over analyzing person that I am, I'm partly basing my decision on what I might do in the future. And that is to buy a target/competition gun sometime down the line. What I've decided is that I want a gun platform that is as compatible as possible, parts and mag wise. So here's the dilemma. I have it narrowed down to two scenarios.

Glock 19 for carry
    Glock 17/34 for target/competition

That's obviously the one you guys will be biased towards. The other option I am considering is:

CZ P01 for carry
    CZ SP01 for target/competition

Now here is some of my reasoning (I'll just list the carry stuff for now):

Both 19 and P01 are approximately the same size.
    The 19 is lighter by 4 ounces.
    The 19 holds one round more.
    The 19 has 2/3 of an inch longer sight radius and a slightly longer barrel.
    The other benefits of being a Glock you guys know.

The P01 has replaceable grips.
    The P01 fits in my hand a bit better even with stock grips.
    And one of the most important things, coming from a CZ clone, I know and love the controls and ergonomics.

Some other stuff that I'm thinking about:

I will want a 22 conversion for either. The Glock AA conversion is $265 if you can find it. The CZ Kadet conversion is $350 or so and mags are nearly twice as much. However, while the Kadet slide will work on both P01 and SP01, the same AA kit won't work on the 19 and 17/34 (or so I've read).

In both setups the mags swap between guns. However, the glock mags are obviously much cheaper. Both G34 and SP01 seem to be go to guns in competition but I've read anecdotal evidence that has the SP01 as being more accurate and easier to shoot than the G34. Being that is has 1.5in less sight radius, that's saying a lot about the gun.

To further complicate matters, both P01 and G19 are exactly the same cost right now ($459). I watch for G19 deals all the time but because they hold their value so well, I never see anything that would save me much money over a new one. Further down the road, the G17 would be cheaper than an SP01 while the G34 would be on par with it.

Well, I know I rambled on quite a bit. I've been reading up and researching this decision for a few weeks now and thought I'd ask the question directly. I've shot the 19 and other Glocks. What I own now is basically a heavier, larger version of the P01 (Baby Eagle 9mm). I think the P01 may fit me a bit better but either it or the 19 would be fine with me.

Any comments or feedback?

(edit: I'm not sure if this goes here or in General Firearms...please move if necessary)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  2. tinman517

tinman517

Have you had the opportunity to examine and shoot all of the listed? That is where I would start first.

3. tango44

tango44

G19 perfect carry gun and I will compete with what I carry.

4. Slug71

Slug71

Go to the range and rent a G19 and P01 and go from there!

5. James Dean

James Dean

I would go find a place where you can rent and shoot. With me that was next to impossible because no one rented Gen4 G17s. So I shot a Gen3 G17 and a Gen 3 G19. I bought the G17 and I hope to soon buy a G19. I don't think you could go wrong with a G19. Also by summer the Gen4 G19 will be out.

6. Minjin

Minjin

Shot 19, 22, 23, 27, and more. Haven't shot a P01. I'm sure it'll be just like shooting my Baby Eagle. I'm fine with how both feel and shoot. I'm looking for something more than pick the one that feels the best.

7. G26ster

G26ster

If you are comfortable with and like the CZ long trigger pull and don't mind the awful takedown of the CZ75P01, it's a tossup. I sold my CZ for those reasons and switched to Glock and am glad I did. Best thing is to fire both and decide.

8. GOA Guy

GOA Guy

All the pistols you have spoke of are of high quality and should run an awful long time almost maintenence free. (other than recoil springs and cleaning/lubricating) The difference is the ease and cost of repairs (if needed) or upgrades. The Glock requires no special tools or training and parts (support too) are everywhere and dirt cheap. That can't be said of the CZ.

9. Minjin

Minjin

My Glock buddy makes that point but I say that you only have to do the long pull once. And that's if you're firing from chambered position, hammer down. If you carry not chambered (lets not debate that), then rack the slide, you're in single action. You also have the ability to carry cocked and locked. Is it good that the Glock has a single trigger pull? Yes. Is it better than the DA of a CZ? Yes. But it's nowhere close to being as good as the SA of a CZ.

As for takedown, field strip on both is very easy and I can do them in about equal time. I've never had the need to go further than that though I know that the Glock is much better when it comes to taking apart every little piece.

edit: Oh and thanks for the feedback so far guys.

10. G26ster

G26ster

Have you tried a Glock with the 3.5# connector? If not, you might want to. Also the trigger on the G34 is lighter than the standard Glocks.

Maybe it was just my CZ, but no way could you simply push the slide lock pin out with your finger, even if you were lucky enough to keep the witness marks aligned. Even the CZ manual recommends using the edge of a magazine to push it out.

In any case, you need to go with what makes YOU happy, and works best for you. Both guns are great shooters!

11. Minjin

Minjin

Let's try out this fancy youtube thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj2op4eb4cg

It would have been quicker and smoother but I was awkwardly reaching around my camera on both sides.

The problem is that I like both for different reasons. If I could make up my mind I wouldn't have asked you guys... ;)

edit: Oh, and no, I haven't tried out the 3.5 connector. Does that make much difference?

12. sgt-spam

sgt-spam NRA Life Member

I've had a P-01, SP-01, and 75B.

Ergonomically, I've yet to find something that fits my (big) hand as well as they did. Additionally, I felt they ALL made me look like a TERRIFIC shooter. Additionally, I had a Kadet kit that fit all three frames and worked wonderfully. Honestly, I had a sweet setup with all of that. Once you put a few hundred rounds through the frame, the trigger pull really does smooth out quite a bit. The P-01 and SP-01 were purchased new, and the triggers were heavy and gritty. Didn't take long to fix that. My frustration, however, was in cleaning. I like to clean EVERYTHING, and I quickly became annoyed that I couldn't get every piece of dirt or debris out of the frame.

Those guns have all been sold...

Enter Glock.

My purchase path has been 19, 21, 26, 17, 30, and I haven't looked back. They are accurate (for me), they are STUPID EASY to clean (detail strip), and I perceive their durability to be higher. I've become accustomed to the trigger feel / weight and feel confident (within reason) that I can hit what I'm aiming at. I can replace any parts that break / wear beyond what I feel is appropriate, and with zero malfunctions in all those guns combined, I am comfortable carrying a Glock. On top of that, I've had and sold two Advantage Arms kits - one for my 19 and one for my 21. They were fun, but past that, I'd rather shoot the intended caliber from each handgun.

13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

If you are talking IDPA or GSSF or USPSA production, the Glock 19 will compete with any bigger Glock. At very long range, with time to aim, the longer sight raidus is a benefit, but most Glock competition is done at less than 25 yards and speed is more important - the shorter sight radius lines up faster.

The only drawback to the 19 for competition, and the reason I usually use a 17, is that the grip is shorter than my hand, so I catch my hand between the grip and magazine during reloads and if you are seating magazines hard and fast as you should, that leaves a painful blood blister.

14. G26ster

G26ster

If you can do that with a CZ75 and not a Baby Eagle, you are my hero :supergrin: My slide stop never came out with one tap/push, and certainly not with a finger push. And yes, the 3.5# trigger, by all accounts, makes a big difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWk4...166CF9BA&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=21

That said, it's no biggie.

15. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

My OD CZ P01 is my favorite pistol. I have never found a pistol that fits so well in my hand and I am more accurate with it then my other pistols.