Help with Canon Rebel XTi

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by OdinIII, Jul 15, 2007.

1. OdinIII

OdinIII

We recently bought the camera and haven't been pleased with the pictures that we are getting. The main problem is that inside photos turn out really dark. We can usually make the photos usable with photo software but would like to not have to do that. Even in a bright artificial lighted room the photos look like they were taken inside a room with dim lighting.

My questions are
    1. With the camera on Auto am I expecting to much for a picture inside a bright room to turn out bright also?
    2. Where is the Glocktalk of cameras? Where can I learn the most online?
    3. Would a class at the local college be a waste of time and money?
    4. Is there a book that is a must-have?
    5. Is the built in flash inadequate? Do I just need a larger flash?

Thanks for any help

2. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php

A lot of people find the XT/XTi underexposes so they bump up the exposure compensation. I don't think you can do that shooting in the photo modes, nor can you shoot RAW and tweak exposure and white balance later.

One of the most recommended photography books at the form linked above is Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. The next book recommended is Learning to See Creatively, also by Peterson.

I could never get the results I wanted until I went to shooting manual exclusively. Inside, you need to bump up the ISO, use fast glass and/or bounce flash. I have shot in very dark locations without flash. It is possible but you have to know your camera and you cannot use any of the auto settings.

A lot of people go with a better flash. The pop-up is OK but not stellar.

3. jm_usmc

jm_usmc Two eagles

I have the XT with the kit lens. When I shoot indoors I usually bump the ISO up to 400 AND use the flash. This is done in Manual mode.

As misskitty said the XT, in my opinion, does underexpose pictures. I normally shoot with +2/3 to +1 exposure compensation and that gets the histogram mostly to the right without overexposing.

Also a BIG +1 to photography on the net. That website is the Glocktalk of Canon cameras. I think you can learn just about everything there (also check out the Strobist blog).

From what I understand the only thing that fast glass or an external flash hurt is a wallet.:supergrin:

4. OdinIII

OdinIII

Thanks for the websites and book recommendations.

I have used the manual mode but only after someone said try this or that. Maybe after some time spent on the forum I can understand why I'm changing something and therefore understand how to determine the correct setting for myself.

Thanks again

5. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife Senior Member

6. Dyerbill

Dyerbill

I gave up film 12-06 by February 07 I was ready to through my XTi in the garbage.I got lucky one morning and liked one of my black and whites so much I used it as a desktop. The rest is history, stay at it the XTi has sooooo much to offer LIVE and LEARN!

7. OdinIII

OdinIII

I'm working with it now.

Thirty minutes on http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php and I've already taken low light pitures that I'm happy with for the first time with this camera.

Thanks for the help.

The hours of searching I did before posting here did nothing but frustrate me.

8. Halliday

Halliday

Eyeballs are tricky. They adjust to light and color automatically. It is often a lot darker in rooms than your eyes will let you think. Don't be afraid to shoot at ISO 800. A little 50mm 1.8 lens is also great for low-light shooting. Just be careful because at f1.8 not much is in focus. The great thing about shooting digital is you can set up little experiments and see the results right away on your computer.