close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help With Camera, lens choice

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by bill rayburn, Oct 17, 2006.

1. bill rayburn

bill rayburn

Ihave been useing one of the small digital camera's a Nikon coolpix L2. I have a new grandson and I look forward to lots of pictures of him growing up. I am a mountain biker and I would like to begin shooting some of that I am planning to vacation in some neat places and I love to fish.
    I have a Canon Elan 2 E 35mm with a 28-80 zoom and a 75-300lens. If I buy a Canon rebel can I use the lens I have ( I know there will be a difference in the range )The Canon Rebel has an 8 megs and I see they just released a new Rebel with 10 MEGS. I think for my purposes the original would be fine and with the new release I might be able pick one up for a good price.
    I would appreciate any advice I hesitate to buy another Canon as the Elan has given me problems with the battery door since purchase, I replaced it once with little change.
    Bill

2. Donner

Donner

You should be able to use the same lenses. If you still aren't sure, you can always take the lenses with you to a camera shop and try them on the camera. If the store doesn't have the exact camera you are looking for, that is fine, all of the rebels take the same lense mount, which i'm pretty sure is the same as teh elan.

3. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

The Elan is an EF mount so it will fit the Rebel, Rebel XT and the newest Rebel XTi. They are an EF-S mount and use both the EF and EF-S lenses. There are like six EF-S lenses so it isn't an issue really unless you want to use *all* lenses with the Elan.

I have an XT and have shot over 10K photos with it in about a year. I haven't had a single problem with it. Prior to buying the XT, I had never used a SLR and now I have backed up and picked up and AE-1 that I love too! I do a lot of high ISO b/w shots and you cannot obtain the clarity in the darkest blacks with digital. It just isn't possible, thus my trip into film. Also, I learned my father has a complete darkroom set up so I am going to start processing my own film. That said, I wouldn't sell my XT for any amount of money now!

The XT is 8MP and the original Rebel is ~6MP. If you don't need the extra you might want to pick up a Rebel instead of the XT if money is an issue. If not, you will love the XT! Personally, I don't see enough advantages to the XTi at ~10MP to justify the increase in price.

Since you already have a 28-80, skip the kit lens, unless you just want it. It is 17-55 which is pretty close to being a repeat of what you have now, when you factor in the 1.6x crop. If you want new glass now, pick up the nifty fifty, the 50mm 1.8 for ~$75. It is the lens that says on my body the most and sure it is plasic and super cheap but at that price, you can replace it if something happens! The IQ is excellent and it is a great way to experiment with a prime to see if you like them.