close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help with bullet grain?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by drumgodz, Jun 11, 2002.

1. drumgodz

drumgodz

Would somebody help me solve the problem with bullet grain? I want to know what weight bullet is best for shooting paper targets/steel knock down plates for competition? I don't want to spend the extra money on fancy hollowpoint bullets. Just something very accurate with very little recoil. By the way I own a G22 (.49S&W) Thanks in advance for your help.

2. 40loader

40loader IPSC Shooter

Check out West Coast Bullet, they have good products at really good prices, even with delivery. Sizes in the .40 range from 155 grain to 220 grain in copper plated RNFP. General rule on recoil: low bullet weight and slower velocity equals less recoil.

I shoot 180's over 4.0 grains of WST for IPSC in production class but I might try to go down to a 165 grain to see how well they shoot. If you are trying to make major power factor, a heavy bullet is preferred over velocity.

Good luck:) :)

3. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

What type of competition are you shooting? If IPSC or anything with a PF, I would go with a heavier bullet, 180, as slow as you can push it and make the PF.
    If you are shooting GSSF or other comps. where there is no PF or a very low one, I would go with the lighter 165 and push that as low as I can to get 100% reliability out of your weapon.

4. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

If you're talking about factory ammo, both American Eagle and Blazer 165-gr FMJ ammo has the lowest recoil of any factory ammo and are very accurate. Most 165-gr ammo is pretty hot stuff, but these two loads are "lite."

5. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

drumgodz;
    You wasn't clear whether you meant "bullets" meaning you did your own reloading or whether you meant loaded factory ammo. Since you only asked for bullet weight and not other important loading data I can only assume you meant factory loaded ammo. Based on this DannyR gave you a very good choice, as did TJC and if you reload then 40loader also gave you a good answer.

6. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

For my 40 I used 3.8 of WST behind a Westcoast 180 last season, it worked well for me in GSSF. :) Of course when TJC speaks, I listen. ;f

7. Sniper 7.62

Sniper 7.62

8. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

I do not mean to be rude but I would like to also add a question to the above topic...I do reload shoot .40 S&W and do not intend to shoot any other competition than GSSF, I also prefer to use one load for all three stages, I see that most Mentors are suggesting 165 grain....would you go to the 155's that Rainier manufactures or the 165's? ;a

9. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

I personally have never had much luck with Raineir bullets for real accuracy.
    I would go with a quality 165 if your gun shoots them well, if not go with a quality 180 and shoot it as slow as possible.

I know you asked about the .40, but if I were doing this just for GSSF I would lose the .40 and get a 9MM with 147 Rem Match bullets. I hear that combo seems to work quite well. ;f

10. Fireglock

Amen Brother! :)

11. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

I was afraid that you all would suggest the 9mmm...I have (4) .40's and 50 magazines ;Q ...I am beginning to realize that if the scores are to come down changes need to be made. The only problem is DEJ( Dan Johnson....didn't he shoot a 22 and hit a 66 with the .40? also I believe he shot the 27 as well? Dan are you out there....or Jerry and Danny maybe you could comment.I thinking I am going to need a loan. ;a

12. Fireglock

Festus - you can win with a .40. I worked all year last year with one. It just happens that the first match I shot with my 17, Richmond, I won. Dan won a match with his 27 and two with his 22, and he' switched to 9MM. It's all a matter of how bad and how quickly you want to win and where you do your best. I shot an 80.xx last year at Conyers, unfortunately so did 3 other people and Dan shot a 7X.xx. It can be done with a .40, it's just easier with a 9MM. Oh yeah, that first match with a 9 at Richmond was a new personal best.

13. mcginnes

mcginnes Safety Officer Millennium Member

;t ;1

;K

14. Fireglock

15. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

You are right.....probably a 17 to play with next year...or maybe an excuse to order a commemoritive if theres any left...wheres the Visa?;f