21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
15,325 Posts
I'm not flying on anything named that

·
Tin Kicker
10,394 Posts
The U. S. Army Golden Knights used to jump out of one of those. I don't remember how they got it. I guess it was cheaper to operate than a C-130.
The Army does not/cannot operate C-130s. The army can only operate helicopters and light support fixed wing aircraft. Anything larger is operated by the Air Force. (This arrangement was hammered out during the creation of the USAF)

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I flew them on FedEx feeder routes years ago before the switch to various ATR models.
Hey I also flew FedEx feeder (Empire Airlines) for 11 years, 1990-2001. Two years in C-208 Caravan and 9 years in the F-27.
I have over 7000 hours in Fokker F-27-600. I left the company just when the ATRs were coming in.
When I got my type rating for captain, my simulator was a FH227 sim (US Air), my type ride was in the airplane Fairchild F-27 and all my time was in Fokker F-27. I don't even know how I passed that check ride because Fairchild F-27/FH227and Fokker F-27 were completely different airplane from the inside.
IMG_0338.JPG

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
The Army does not/cannot operate C-130s. The army can only operate helicopters and light support fixed wing aircraft. Anything larger is operated by the Air Force. (This arrangement was hammered out during the creation of the USAF)
That is true, but the 82nd Airborne certainly jumps out of C-130s and C-17s. They belong to and are flown by the Air Force, but they haul the troops up to jump. My son was in the 82nd Airborne for six years. He really liked the C-17 because it was more comfortable to ride in and got to where they they needed to go very quickly. He also jumped out of CH-47 Chinooks and UH-60 Blackhawks. Inter-service rivalry is amazing. When the Air Force was created, claimed that the Army shouldn't have any aircraft at all. Then they claimed that the Army should not have any armed aircraft. When the Army started putting guns on helicopters, the Air Force was livid. When the Army got OV-1 Mohawks, the Air Force cried foul. Even before WW2, the Army and Navy argued that there was no need for Army bombers to attack targets at sea while the Army argued that the Navy had no business attacking inland targets.

·
NRA Life Member
28,628 Posts
And for some strange reason they let the Marines fly the Blue Angles Fat Albert; not Navy pilots.

How embarrassing is that ?

Reactions: Paul53
21 - 32 of 32 Posts