Help with a very stiff slide release on Gen4 21

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by pikemaster11, Feb 14, 2013.

1. pikemaster11

pikemaster11

Just picked one up and I have to use 2 thumbs to get the slide release to work. Is this common on the 21? I had no problems with a 26 or 17 out of the box. Is there anything that can be done to make it easier to use?

I don't have mechanics hand strength, but I really haven't had a problem with other guns as well.

2. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

Mine is also fairly hard to release with one hand. With this pistol I generally use two hands by pulling back the slide with my left then pressing the release with my right thumb. Still, in a situation where I can't use two hands I might have issues.

Installing an extended slide stop lever for more leverage would probably fix the problem. This is the first time I've run into this with any of my handguns. I'm not going to carry mine so I may end up swapping the lever out.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013

3. kelsitone

kelsitone Armed & Safe

Is this happening with loaded mags, empty mag inserted, no mag or all of the above?

You could always swap in an extended slide stop lever. Or just overhand it.

4. GlockFanWA

GlockFanWA

It is a slide stop, not a slide release. Usual advice around Glocks is you do not use that lever to release the slide, you pull the slide back to release it.

5. Eagle1

Eagle1 Oh glockaholic!

pike, keep in mind that the dual recoil spring on the new gen4 guns are stiffer meaning that it has more pressure on the slide release when the slide is locked and you are trying to hit it to get the slide to go forward.

6. JBP55

JBP55

This. Try releasing the slide the normal way and it will work fine.

7. jmb79

jmb79

Bingo!

8. cciman

cciman MacGyver

There is a reason the slide stop is so small: it is vestigial, not real really meant to be used by the shooter. Slingshot it.

9. TheGlockTalker

TheGlockTalker

Either:
    1. Get an extended slide release/stop or
    2. Use your other hand to release the slide.
    Glock recommends No. 2 .......take your pick.

10. Seaweed02

Seaweed02 Boatswain's Mate

I had the same problem with my Gen 3 Glock 21SF. But I was trying to release the slide with an empty magazine, and later learned that it released quite a bit easier once I put live rounds in it. So I used a snap cap to practice with while I watched TV. After a few hundred times it loosens right up. So just give it time.

11. Glock30Eric

Glock30Eric .45 ACP

Yup with my G30. It's still a virgin.

12. pikemaster11

pikemaster11

Thanks for the advice. I am still kinda use to my kahr cm9 which is recommended to use the lever and NOT sling shot. The 21 won't be a carry gun.......yet, but I will get it broken in.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  13. Seaweed02

Seaweed02 Boatswain's Mate

My Glock 21SF is definitely a carry gun. A .45 caliber semi automatic handgun that carries 13 in the mag and one in the pipe. That is a carry gun all the way. And I like to use the slide stop (or slide release if you rather) lever instead of the sling shot method. Just like you.

Mine works fine now, but it just took some breaking in. I had been trying with the magazine in, but noticed that when I tried without the magazine inserted, it was a lot easier. So then I tried with a snap cap and low and behold it was easier still to release with my thumb. And it got better with time.