close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help with a DNS issue please

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Texas T, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

Roadrunner Cable Service
    Toshiba PCX1100U Cable modem
    Linksys BEFSR41 router (4 hard ports, not wireless)

A couple of weeks ago I had a power outage. The UPS supported all of the above plus my PC/Monitor. I shut down the PC and then turned off the UPS. When power returned I had some problems with the cold start on the PC (XP Home SP2), how to power it off instead of a shutdown, and then did a normal restart.

Since that time I've had a continual DNS issue. I have to "repair" (release, renew, etc) in the Local Area Connection icon of Networking Properties every day and sometimes more often than that. If I don't do that I get the "Page not found" error message.

Yet my Vonage still works ok and my email still seems to come in fine.

I've tried different combinations of resetting the PC, Router, Modem but it seems to really be a PC issue. The problem with that theory is that my son's PC has to do the same thing (but not as often) and my wife's PC doesn't seem to have any issues because she doesn't have a clue as to what DNS is or how to repair it.

Thoughts?

2. Glock Bob

Glock Bob Snack Attack!!!

Most likely your DNS addresses are set to automatic. It's best to set them manually if you know what they are:

1. Right click on Network Connections>Properties (or Start>Settings>Network Connections)

2. Right click on your connnection (most likely "Local Area Connection")

3. Single-cick Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)>Properties button

4. Ensure "Use the following DNS server addresses" is ticked

5. Enter your DNS server(s) in the proper spaces. If you have the addresses for more than two you can click the Advanced button>DNS tab>Add... button and then add as many as you want.

Also, check your router settings. In a web browser enter 192.168.1.1 in the address bar and press ENTER (if it gives you an error try 192.168.0.1). Check your DNS in there.

3. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

The router and the PC have always been set to obtain an IP address automatically; same with the DNS setting, and this has been working fine for over 3 years now. Why would I want to make this change?

I'm not disputing your suggestion, just questioning why.

I can get into my router fine from both my pc and my son's - haven't tried it from the wife's.

4. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Several ides:

A quick fix may be setting the Cable MODEM or DSL's IP address permanently into the router. One less variable to deal with. Then automatically set the router to assign address to the PCs.

But one can force each PC to a fixed address and set the router as well. I used both techniques successfully.

Did you drop power to the MODEM/DSL and router? I use a strip, from the UPS to the Cable MODEM/DSL device and the Router, separate from the PCs and the other equipemnt to keep my VONAGE system up 24/7.

One can use a software service/device driver and a cable from the UPS and the main PC to shutdown that PC. You can usually configure your other PCs in your systems to receive a shutdown signal over your home network, to power down the other PCs too. It would leave the monitors in sleep mode and printers and the like ideling, and drawing power, but save a major load on the UPS while you are away. That is if you leave the PCs running in your absence.

If you dropped power to the MODEM/DSL and Router double check every setting in the router as it may have dumped settings and gone to a default or undesired confiuration after the power down.

Power offs can make life a pain with computer equipment. The PC in question may have had an issue all along but now it has gotton out of hand.

Try running Microsoft's update tools and see if patching the PC fixes an issue. Use manual install and survey each fix before you install. You may be required to load some fixes and patches before you can continue on to actual fixes that address your problem.

After doing a full update on one PC, I had issue with, it ran like a top.

Best wishes.

:thumbsup: :supergrin: ;)

5. Glock Bob

Glock Bob Snack Attack!!!

Basically it keeps the computer from trying to search for the DNS all the time. When it's static it knows what it should be everytime. You may also want to set it in your router unless your ISP says specificly to obtain it automatically.

Also, you may want to try clearing your cache and try a bad page with another browser before you do anything else. If another browser works then it's a problem with your main browser.

You might also want to try running services.msc and stop and disable the DNS Client Service which will stop Windows from trying to pull DNS out of its cache.

6. srhoades

srhoades

I had a power surge a couple weeks ago and it caused my router to do weird things. Try doing a hard reset of the router by holding in the reset button in the back for 15 seconds.

7. grokdesigns

grokdesigns