close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help with 2nd gen G22 conversion

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by big45, Aug 9, 2012.

1. big45

big45

Hope this is the correct section to ask...Picked up a lightly used 2nd gen G22 and wanted to also have a conversion for .357 sig. and 9mm Called Glock and all they said was(we advise you dont do it.... I asked why. first he said the frame wasnt made for .357 Sig,, so then I asked about 9mm he said we dont advise you do that.. I asked why,, since that is a lighter round then .40 resp was diff internals.....can anyone shed some light on this , as I know many convert....I thought that was the whole idea of the Glock system , to be able to do that.???? thanks

2. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

Go ahead and do it. Glock makes and sells factory guns. When you put aftermarket parts/barrels/ejectors/extractors/ect... in there they no longer warranty the gun... that's why they're telling you not to do it. I have run 9mm and 10mm conversions in many of my Glocks without issue. Convert away :wavey:

3. SGT278ACR

SGT278ACR Retired Veteran

I got my G22 Gen2 used also. I put a drop-in Lone Wolf 40-9 barrel and Glock factory 9mm mags in mine and have had no problems whatsoever. Go ahead and do it. Just don't tell Glock you did that if you ever have to send it to Smyrna. Just drop the OEM barrel back in & send it. Takes about 1 minute (if that) to convert one way or the other.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  4. .38 super

.38 super Observer

9mm luger isn't necessary lighter round than .40smith, also consider the size of the rails on your G22 gen2 - in order to handle .357sig they should be the long-ones, not the regular G17/22 size.
    There is plenty of info here, I did ask the same question before converting my G22 to .357sig and got my LWD 40-9 barrel, most likely you will not have a problem, but it could happened so you better be on the safe site. I think you'll be fine w 9mm but check again about the .357sig

5. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Only the very latest Gen2 40's have the added steel reinforcement necessary to hold up to the powerful .357Sig cartridge. All Gen3 frames have it.

Glock, Inc. of Smyrna, GA cannot approve any aftermarket parts for use in a Glock--it's a serious liability issue.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  6. .38 super

.38 super Observer

I tried to find the saved in subscriptions old threads but the interface shows only 18 threads saved ... ?!?
    I did google "G22 gen3 long rails,glocktalk" and Goggle gave me results with 5 of my posts in a thread named " Who shoots .357 SIG in a Gen 2 G22/23? " ( http://boardreader.com/thread/Who_shoots_357_SIG_in_a_Gen_2_G22_23_a34dXtcuv.html ) but when I tried to open it in Glocktalk interface, I got message that I don't have permission to access it... :shocked: ... How did I wrote 5 posts in it ... ?
    Interesting enough, it doesn't ends here...
    When I flip to "Image" search of the same quote ( https://www.google.com/search?hl=en..._pw.r_qf.&fp=7d1e3eba77cd3eb&biw=1920&bih=987 ), the first two pictures are from my Glock 22, so I'm just going to use it to show the rails you should have in order to safely shoot at least .357sig.
    Keep in mind that the titanium pins that I had are gone, both of them, the one on the locking block were bent, the small one broke during shooting, couldn't find the piece, I was just able to pull whatever was left in the frame... :supergrin:

[​IMG]

7. .38 super

.38 super Observer

As always this is correct, if I can only add - conversion to .357sig could be done ( as in my case) only by replacing the original G22 OEM barrel with OEM Glock barrel for G31 and that's it...
    Technically the follower of the mag for the .357sig round is different, but the G22 mags work just fine, at least in my case.