close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help-> What *CAN* she eat, then???

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by MB-G26, Jul 7, 2004.

1. MB-G26

MB-G26 Non-existent STUPID GURL Lifetime Member

Being short & to the point: sister's new baby, now slightly over 6 wks. old, has developed horrendous 'tummy troubles'. Although the symptoms meet precious few of the criteria for "colic" that's what the ped has apparently decided, inter alia, to call it for now.
    She is of course providing the baby's milk herself, and the doc gave her a list of DO NOT EAT items. Plse note they also do NOT eat red meat or many "prepared" foods.

Here's the "NO!" list - inasmuch as my sister was practically living on various melons and such along w/her regular eating habits (was avoiding dill, citrus & acidy things tho, & she herself is largely lactose-intolerant, so didn't eat cheese other than "cottage"), what in the heck is left that she CAN eat? (Items which include a lot of preparation time or are seasonal-only won't really help...... )

NO
    Beans
    Onions
    Garlic
    Citrus Juices
    Cabbage*
    Turnips*
    Broccoli
    Melons
    Peaches
    FRESH FRUIT

Eggs
    Cows Milk
    Caffeine
    Coffee
    Tea
    Chocolate
    Cola Drinks
    Tomatoes
    Tomato Products

(* Ok, so who cares for * items, but jeez! NO fresh fruit?!!??)

Ok, so broccoli-smockly (I already had suggested to avoid that one), and it won't be hard for her to forgo the occasional cup of tea [hubby is from UK] or very occasional cup of coffee. She was drinking some diet cola, but isn't anything like the caffeinated Pepsi hound that I am.

NO tomato products??!! Yikes!!

IDEAS?
    m

2. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

Sheesh, if I couldnt eat garlic I'd jump off the nearest cliff ;P

What about tofu? ;)

3. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I would be right behind you!

So is her diet supposed to consist of mainly meat and grains?

4. frefoo

frefoo

MB,

You got me baffeled, on what she could eat. With your permission I will forward this to a nutritionist for advice.

Let me know.

Dave

5. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

Oatmeal! Yum!

;c

6. MB-G26

Yes, please do, I would appreciate it. There are a couple of things on the list that the doc circled as being extra-important to avoid - beans, cow milk/related, garlic/onions, cabbage, broccoli. He didn't circle or stress the fruit or melons - so we're hoping that after a trial run of eating NOTHING on the list, we can reintroduce melons and her other regular fruit w/o incident. She ate fruit and such the whole time she was pregnant, and a lot of the books indicate that baby is usually fine w/the regular stuff mom ate while baby was 'pending'.

Sister also cannot have refine sugar (allergy tests indicate problem)as well as red meat and cow milk products). Why "cottage" cheese didn't cause her problems in re: lactose intolerance, I have no clue.

I joked earlier w/her that at some point everything would "taste like chicken" cause that seemed to be the only common thing left she *could* eat........ argh...

I appreciate all the input.
    m

7. Bandalero

Bandalero

Edited to delete post because I mis-read the post ;g

8. pizzaaguy

pizzaaguy

Some quick suggestions........

How's about:

potatoes
    sweet potatoes
    carrots
    peppers
    mushrooms
    spinach
    Egg Beaters
    soy milk
    soy cheese

check out some of the Morning Star & BOCA veggy products.

9. General Sherman

General Sherman

Did the Doc say no wine?

;f

Reminds me of an old country song where the Doc tells him all he cannot eat but failed to exclude red wine and the singer was happy, living on that alone.

Also reminds me of the movie "Fatso". Very funny movie if you have not seen it.

10. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

Is just not breastfeeding an option?.....

There's lots of good formula's out there.

11. MB-G26

No, "just not breastfeeding" is NOT an option - and even if they wanted it to be one, he has been 150% more intolerant of all the formulas tried thus far, just as backup sources. Doc does NOT want him to try soy formula, either, and I'm guessing that's perhaps soy is reportedly in adults a bit hard to digest initially. Personally, she herself hates the stuff.

No, for many reasons, all of them good ones, mommy milk is the meal of choice. I should probably confess I had a bit to do w/that outlook, but it was/is/and remains their first choice and, all other alternatives being less, their exclusive choice. She would rather live on eating rocks than stop providing his milk, bless her heart. Since immunological problems run in our side of the family and she and I both are disabled w/them, it's especially important to her to give baby Mikey the best and longest start possible in that regard, too.
    m

12. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

please have your sister contact a good lactation consultant....a lot of time the pediatricians don't know as much about breastfeeding as the consultants do, and so they overdo the reccommendations to be on the safe side. I'll bet she'll find she doesnt have to be quite so restrictive. If you want to PM me, I'll give you the name and number of the one I use...she's well known in the field, and has many good contacts.

13. geminicricket

geminicricket NRA Life member

I have neighbor with a young daughter who has quite varied food allergies. If it's the case that the kid is food-intolerant, a competent professional must be enlisted right away to answer your question, "What CAN she eat?".

The neighbor woman has to feed two separate families, one consists of one kid, the other consists of the rest of her family. She's completely saturated with responsibility for the dietary health of her daughter. This will consume here time for the next 10 years. That's the breaks.

14. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Has lactose intolerance been ruled out?

15. MB-G26

1) Lactation consultant: onboard since before hosp DC - fantastic woman. Issues of 'human mechanics', let's say, made latching on and such problematic. Hosp itself did NO favors by starting baby on a bottle and refusing to give him to mom asap at her post-C section request.

2) Lactose intolerance is at this point the ruling Dx. (Not that except for the "soy" formulas, 99.9999%, if not 100%, of commercial formulas are cow-milk/cow-protein based.

Baby's been on lactase drops (Rx)since immediately after the 1st visit to the Ped (about 1.5 wks after I got here). Prior/hospital attending was the family PCP, who is from a different country and insisted that he always has his breastfeeding moms begin at the onset w/formula supplementation - and espoused the opinion that mother's milk isn't "enough" to prevent anemia, etc.grrrrrrrrrrrr......... Fortunately, sister was appropriately resistant to this since it is actually ill-advised as well as UNnecessary in instances where mom has and continues to receive proper nutrition. She did NOT start formula supplementation as per his insistence, and only used formula when exhaustion, stress, etc., inhibited sufficient breastmilk supply.

He's getting an ave. of 5.5-6 hrs. per Levsin(tm) dose which is REALLY helping him tolerate painful bowel motility.
    m

PS. You don't wanna know how long kiddo and I were nursing..... just trust me - my sister couldn't have a stronger breastfeeding advocate :)

16. frefoo

frefoo

MG,

Sorry work kinda took over me therefore this is my first time I am back to glocktalk.

I have sent your initial posting to "my" nutritionist for comment. I will let you know what her response is.

17. frefoo

frefoo

MB,

Saw my nutritionist today. She is looking into your issue and I hope for a response soon.

I sent her the link to your post so she can review all info posted so far.

Dave