close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help! Volunteer department needs documents!

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by insectguy, Sep 1, 2006.

1. insectguy

insectguy

As a relatively recent (~3 years) volunteer firefighter and first responder in southern Georgia, I am now in charge of putting together some of the basic documents for our department. As a firm believer in not re-inventing the wheel, I am asking (i.e., begging) for copies of the following:

1. Charter -- our department is supposedly chartered by the city, but we have absolutely no documentation whatsoever. We also have no minutes from the city council which authorized us to exist.

2. SOPs -- obviously, SOPs from a major metropolis would not really be applicable to us, but any and all from smaller departments would be a great help.

3. Fire surveys and pre-plans-- we are going to start doing pre-planning and inspections, so any and all help would be awesome.

4. A list of required equipment on the fire apparatus. We just acquired a "new" apparatus, and of course, it has nothing on it. I have a copy of the ISO list, but was would like additional input as well.

5. Any other documentation which is required but we have no records of.

I work as an inspector at a nuclear plant, so I am a stickler for the correct documentation (if it's not written, it didn't happen!). I am appalled at the current state of laxity, but we are in a catch-up mode.

2. DTD2

DTD2 vote or die

WOW:shocked:

Thats a pretty tall order.

I can help with the NFPA code for apparatus, Drop me a pm to tell me where to e-mail it.

For SOG/SOP's check HERE for guidance. These will be the hardest to compile/alter/review/impliment/evaluate/change & repeat as needed.

For preplans HERE is a VERY GENERIC one.

As for the charter, depending upon your state statutes, the village/town or city attorney should be handleing it.

Contact your state fire marshals office, state firefighters association and your regulator agency (i.e. Dept of Commerce) for help as to what exactly is required. Also a good source of info is Dept of Homeland Security and USFA.

For reporting try NFIRS

HERE

Sorry for the lack of organization, I was posting between calls.

D2

3. insectguy

insectguy

1. Charter-- I agree the city attorney SHOULD be handling it, but since we've been in existence for at least 35 years, I doubt it's at the top of their "to do" list. I keep getting the "you ain't from 'round here, are ye," and a lot of blank stares when I bring it up. Just thought I would try to find one.

2. SOP's - thanks for the link! That's a great site-- I should be able to glean quite a bit from there, including the SOPs.

3. Hey, it was a starting place-- that's what I needed.

4. I found the NFPA code for the automotive apparatus. I spent a few hours today picking through it, developing the list of equipment, comparing and contrasting it to ISO's recommendations, and getting the "you ain't from 'round here, are ye" look once again. I've done my part-- I can lead a horse to water, but I can't make him think.

5. NFIRS-- I have to attend the state course prior to them issuing me a number. It's on my "to-do" list.:supergrin:

I really appreciate the help. Since I'm not from around here, I am really not used to the "good enough" and "it's always been this way" mentality. I have been unsuccessfully trying to get neighboring departments to work together, but the fiefdoms and turf wars are incredible.

Thank you for the help-- it really was beneficial.

4. DTD2

DTD2 vote or die

Glad I could help

5. fireguy129

fireguy129

Sent ya a pm, I'll send our tentative sog's by email hopefully on friday.

6. fireguy129

fireguy129

Ive got our sog's in my email. when you're ready, let me know.