close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help! Turkey idea. Am I crazy? Need help!

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by pangris, Dec 24, 2004.

1. pangris

pangris Moderator

Hello all. First post in food forum. Wife thinks I am a nut going to GT for food info. She doesn't get our diversity :)

Our oven sucks. Hot spots, cool spots, etc. Last year the turkey was a debacle. Ended up in the microwave. Ever tried to microwave a 15 lb freaking turkey? Bad.

Anyway, since we had so many problems last year, my wonderful wife brough home a NINETEEN POUND turkey and announced it is my responsibility to cook the mother.

;5

I have applied math and science, and have come up with the following -

The turkey has been defrosting in the fridge for a few days. Rather than try to cook it whole - don't know if it would even fit in the oven - I was thinking about taking all the meat off tonight and letting it marinate overnight.

Then I would put it in a big container - (possibly ceramic, for heat distribution purposes? We have such a thing) and just cook the meat. Figure that would take it down to 8-10 lbs of meat?? I have no idea. I know it would at least fit that way.

In any case, my plan was to get all the meat off, seperate dark and light, put it in the stuff I marinate it in, let it sit overnight and cook it early in the AM. Family arrives at 1 PM Christmas day.

Will this work? For purposes of tenderness, I figured I'd put a little oil and a lot of the marinade in with it...

HELP!!!

2. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

STOP!
    ;m

You're worrying too much and working too hard... :)

You shouldn't "take the meat off"... If your oven is too small or if you want more control,
    you can cut it into parts...

It's not necessary, but if you put those parts into a clean bucket of water with 2 cups of salt in it,
    for 4-6 hours to 24 hours, the meat will taste better and stay moister... especially the white meat...
    Brining...

Or you can just season it all up with a mix of margarine, salt, fresh ground pepper, and paprika...
    A good strong mix...

Once you remove the wings at the shoulder joint, and the thigh/leg pieces, you'll be left with a big round
    turkey breast... split it in half...
    Separate the thigh and leg at the joints...

Lay the pieces down in the roasting pan and cover with the seasoned paste, getting some underneath too...
    Add a cup or so of water...

Preheat oven to 375...

Cover and cook the dark meat for an hour before you toss in the breast halves,
    then cook another two hours...

Baste the pieces with the cooking juices a few times during this process...

For the last half hour, uncover and broil for color and crust...

Serve it with gravy and cranberry sauce just in case the white meat does get dry for some reason...

Good luck and email me if you want...

I cook turkeys fairly often, different ways...

;c

3. pangris

pangris Moderator

Thanks Bill! I actually already quartered the legs and thighs, and wings. I did debone the breasts and have injected them with a combo of Cajun Injector marinade (Creole butter flavor) and real butter (one stick), salt, pepper, Tony's, tabasco (very little) and some rosemary, oregano and basil - once again, just a little.

Then I rubbed it down with some first run cold pressed XX virgin olive oil and a little chicken broth.

The above is a combo of about 5 recipes I found online.

It will be the best or worst turkey ever. ;P

Luckily, we'll also have a honey baked ham - back up seemed wise.

Paul

4. Mild Bill

Sounds good!

Let me know how it turned out...

Cheers!

;c

5. pangris

pangris Moderator

Turkey came out remarkably well for an experiment. Will do similar next year but will "brine" the turkey as well. It wasn't dry, but wasn't super moist either - but it was better than most family get together turkeys I've had, if that makes sense.

That said, the damn interstate was shut down so none of our family actually made it over yesterday. It was me, my wife, and our dog... we all ate turkey until we passed out.

Thanks again, Bill!

;c

6. Mild Bill

;z

That happened to a friend of ours too...
    Nobody made it over...

Glad the toykey came out decent...

The brining helps keep the turkey moist, and protects it from tasting overcooked...

It even gets inside, somehow, and flavors the meat, so even when it's cold the next day,
    and you tear away a piece of white meat to gnaw on, you say "damn, this is tasty as hell,
    I'm gonna make a sandwich right now and nobody can talk me out of it!"...

Kinda like when you make popcorn...
    Just plain it tastes like packing material, but when you add just a little salt it becomes delicious popcorn...

Alright... that's all I got...

HAPPY HAPPY...

Bill...