close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help!! Toilets won't flush!!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by finz50, Feb 10, 2010.

1. finz50

finz50

Alright so I come home form work, take a leak, flush the toilet, and the water fills up the tanks but won't flush anything out of it......30 minutes or so later I hear the toilet making gurgling sounds and it starts bubbling...flush it again...now it's full to the top (i know...probably shouldn't have done that-DOH!)

Next, my kitchen sink starts making the gurgling sounds...I ask my son to flush his toilet, and his toilet does the same thing mine does....fills up, but won't flush....eventually starts to bubble up, but nothing actually gets flushed....go to the guest bathroom....same story

Called the guy we're renting from and he says it's city water and not run through a septic tank....he said call them in the morning and they should be able to fix it.....meanwhile we can't take a leak or dump in our own hose and its frikin gonna be freezing tonight, in Florida, nonetheless.......

WHAT DO I DO??

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  2. GAFinch

GAFinch

Your sewer line is backed up. The city will come fix it, IF the clog is past the sidewalk. Most likely, though, it's roots in the line somewhere in the yard. If you see a 6" white cleanout plug in the yard (usually near the faucet by the house, you can unscrew it and the sewage will back up in your yard instead of in your house. If it's past the cleanout, you're out of luck.

3. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    Wait. Sounds like there is a blockage from your house to the city. JMHO.

4. OKGlocker

OKGlocker Geezer Member

If its yellow, let it mellow...
    If its brown... well... nevermind... :wow:

Actually the first 2 posters have you on the right track...

5. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  6. j-glock22

j-glock22

slow drain on all toilets and sinks, sounds like a sewar main is backed up a bit, but outside of your unit..... property maintence or city will get it fixed for ya. Hang tight! :wow:

7. GAFinch

GAFinch

BTW, powdered laundry detergent and cooking grease are a bad combination.

8. finz50

finz50

Tried the plunger only about 6 times already...I'm not a total ID10T....LOL. BTW the toilet in our master bath has been clogged up fairly frequently so hopefully when it gets fixed, that'll help that "problem" too....

9. costanza187

costanza187 I like Macs

Cross your legs and hold it.

10. moncoacp

moncoacp

Next time lower those down with ropes.

11. moncoacp

moncoacp

delete

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  12. boozer

boozer

Call Roto-Rooter (or any other generic plumbing shop, I have a number for Bob, who I've used for years) and give the bill to your landlord. Do it now. Don't put up with "the city will fix it tomorrow". It probably isn't the cities problem. How will you take a shower in the morning.

13. David N.

David N.

If you're really lucky, two other apartments will share the same line, and the resident(s) in at least one of them won't be smart enough to figure out what's going on. Said resident(s) also won't have a clue that the only reason the bathroom drains upstairs are still working is because they are upstairs. Or that every time water, or other stuff, goes down the drain upstairs, its coming out in the floor downstairs. It wasn't a pleasant night, but at least the owners took care of clean up, sanitizing, and replacing the carpet.

14. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

Go to Home Depot and get a gallon jug of industrial strength drain opener. Apply as directed.

15. MooseJaw

MooseJaw NRA Lifer CLM

If your sewer line is backed up, you may also find water backing up in your tub or shower..

Whether you call the Health Dept, and complain about your Landlord.. or call RotoRooter and get it fixed, is up to you..

But whatever you choose, be sure to wash everything down with chlorox or something.. Hepatitus is not nice..

16. bsg1

bsg1

it's called the home owner's blues; perhaps there are some home repair forums on internet? good luck with your plight. wait a minute.... you say you are renting? then the landlord needs to deal with this. good luck again....

17. THEPOPE

THEPOPE Nibb

If it's not a down-line clog, could be a vent, usually goes up through the roof of a typical house, sometimes it may be covered with a vented lid to keep rain and/or snow and ice out, critters, too.

BTW, DScottHewitt, is this pic you posted extremely HUGE, or is it a setting on my end, just askin'.......

I am OuT .....

18. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

oh man, hopefully your pipes don't back up into the house. that would suck. good luck man

19. Trigger_Rush

Trigger_Rush Paladin

As stated above, I believe it's your sewer main. However, I've plumbed in three states and I've never heard of the city coming out to fix your main. Even if it's a tree root problem where your line meets the city line, it's your problem. Unless Florida is radically different than other states (plumbing wise) you'll need to contact a plumber.

Odds are, what's going to happen is a plumber is going to open your cleanout, cable the drain to dislodge the blockage, and then camera the line to inspect for breakage and tree root invasion. That will cost you roughly $200-$300.

In the event your main needs repaired, the line will need to be exposed at the problem area. The plumber who did the inspection may or may not be equipped to locate and find depth. If he wasn't, it'll probably cost $50-$100 to have the break located by a dedicated locater company.

Once the main is exposed, the problem will get cut out and replaced with a new piece of pipe and rubber boots. If the problem was a tree root invasion, I prefer to put some kind of shield over the joints, like pieces of ABS pipe to slow or stop roots from getting in again. All told, the repair should run $1500-$2000.

20. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

What he said....

Its not the vent, you have an obstruction in your main line somewhere... Is this a single family dwelling?

IGF