close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help setting up new mp3 player

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by AJE, Dec 27, 2006.

1. AJE

AJE Grumpy Old Man

I got this MP3 player for Christmas and I'm having some trouble getting it set up.

[​IMG]
    When I put songs on and play them, it will show the filename in the song portion of it (where it says "Take Me Back"), however the other two lines ("Maggie's Choice" and "Tale for Free") both say "unknown". I cannot find a way to get the album and artist information over to the player, therefore I cannot organize anything once it is on the player.

I have all my music organized on my hard drive by artist, album, and track number. All of my songs are named the track number and name, the artist and album are organized by folders.

ex. C/music/Killswitch Engage/Alive and Just Breathing/03 - Fixation on the Darkness.mp3

I tried naming the files with all of the information "ex Killswitch Engage- Alive and Just Breathing- 3 Fixation on the Darkness" and a few other variations but no matter how I save it or how it is put on the player it won't put anything in the other fields.

I have all my music in Musicmatch Jukebox. I have also tried Windows Media Player (which is what the manufacturer reccomends) and the "drag and drop" method to no avail.

If anybody can offer any help with this it would be much appreciated. I thought that it was a little more simple than this but apparently I am wrong. :sad:

2. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

It's not looking at what the filename is nor what folder the songs reside in on your hardrive. It's looking at the metadata tag. If they're all mp3s, they have what are known as ID tags (ID3v1 and ID3v2, specifically).

All you need is a program that can convert the filename (or folder structure) into tag information. If you read on these forums, MediaMonkey is by far my favorite and can probably handle the synchronization between your computer and your player as well (allowing you to throw MusicMatch into the trash bin). It tends to be a bit much for users that aren't really into managing their music in a database though.

However, I would bet dollars to doughnuts that MusicMatch also has that ability to do some auto tagging (although I don't know how to do it since I ditched that software about 5 years ago).

At the very least, I have also used MP3Tag a little bit and know that it will fill the bill.

3. AJE

AJE Grumpy Old Man

Musicmatch does have that ability, as I am very picky about saving my music (its about as organized as possible).

I think I'll take the damn thing back and get an Ipod :sad:

4. AJE

AJE Grumpy Old Man

I fixed it.

I took it back and got an Ipod.

:thumbsup: