close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help selecting a new video card

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Brill, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Brill

Brill

I'm looking to upgrade to a new video card, but I know next to nothing about them. I currently have an ATI Radeon 7500 64MB card on a P4 2.4C, 512MB PC3200 RAM system. I'm looking for an inexpensive card (say in the $50-100 range). I don't need anything top of the line; just something that can play newer games at low to decent quality. Any help would be most appreciated.

2. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

if you're looking to play Doom 3, i'd recommend at least a 256 meg card.

3. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

$50 to $100?

Dude hate to say this but you need to stay home with the little dogs.

Games are becoming so sophisticated that I just upgraded my home/work/game machine to 1GB of ram and an Nvidia 256mb FX 5950 Ultra.

My suggestion is go to www.newegg.com

anything from Nvidia or ATI chipset will set you straight. But for $50 to $100 you might as well get an XBox.

4. PlethoraGreen

PlethoraGreen

The onboard video memory of a card means absolutely nothing when it comes to performance. There are many many 128 MB video cards that crush 256 MB cards.

5. Brill

Brill

Again, I don't need anything top of the line. For the amount of games I play spending $200-300 on a video card would be a complete waste of money. If that's the only way I would be able to play any newer game, even at low quality, then I'd just stick with the card I have now.

6. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

A Radeon 9200 would probably do okay for low-end gaming, and come in within your price limitations. It is a much better choice than the GeForce 5200, without a doubt...but it's still slow.

If you think you might ever want to play newer games, though, the time to spend the extra cash is now. If you add Doom III's $55 price to your budget you could score up the cheapest nVidia 6600, whiuch can be had for $149 or so.

I would recommend the 6600GT or a Radeon 9800Pro or XT for $199-$250 for future-proofing the decent rig you have there...after all, graphics capability is always a bad place to economize, IMHO!

I currently use a $275 Gainward 5900 Ultra Golden Sample, and couldn't be happier...I get over 75 FPS in America's Army, over 50FPS in Doom III and over 40FPS for an average in all areas of Far Cry, with all settings on MAX (well, all set to High in DIII).

Good luck,

FastVFR

7. Maxthemutt

Maxthemutt

I've researched this a great deal. To me the best card for the money is something with the ATI 9600XT chipset and 128meg RAM. This would be the one I'd get for the money: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-326&depa=1
    It's $40 more than you wanted to spend, but take it from me, saving alot on a card that sucks in a year isn't worth it. BTW, I was guessing from your post you don't want to play the newest most demanding games, but something upto these.

That being said, I just bought the ATI AIW 9600XT for $182 from newegg.

Good luck with your choice, Max:)

8. GLOCKFAN4LIFE

GLOCKFAN4LIFE

Well i love computer tweaking and love gaming as well and have tried both of the newest cards out.atix800 and the invidia6800 ultra and hands down invidia wins.. Best for gaming and stability..Here is my site and go to video cards look at frames per second..http://www.freewebs.com/legionofdeath/

9. GLOCKFAN4LIFE

GLOCKFAN4LIFE

I play all the new games as well and run very high frame rates as well.. my pics on my site are from ghost recon my favorite game.. I also play Farcry 120 fps, Americas Army 100 and Doom3 90 fps...Love all the games and play everyday..Please do your homework before you buy a video card it will help you get more bang for your buck....[​IMG]

10. Brill

Brill

Is the ATI Radeon 9600 PRO 256MB any good?

11. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

12. GLOCKFAN4LIFE

GLOCKFAN4LIFE

BRILL,if u look at prices u will see that the 9800 pro isnt much more than the 9600, but the pro is much better of a card...

13. Maxthemutt

Maxthemutt

I thought the 9800Pro was around $60 more than the 9600XT, which is $40 more than he wanted to spend, but I could be wrong.

Before you buy a card you should do your own research on google, maximumpc, cnet, pcmag, pcworld, tomshardware, anandtech, and anywhere else you can read about this stuff.

Good luck, Max :)

14. GLOCKFAN4LIFE

GLOCKFAN4LIFE

If you need more info man email me because im tired of the stupid replys on here and dont understand it.WASTE OF TIME....

15. Maxthemutt

Maxthemutt

16. Tvov

Tvov

Yes, it is. I have it on my Pentium IV 2g, and it made a world of difference. I bought it this spring. BUT, it already is the minimum card you'd want to get. As other have suggested, you really should think about a better card.

When I got info here in this forum about cards in the spring, I didn't get close to so many cranky replies! I don't know whether to feel relieved or jealous!

17. Brill

Brill

I've got a friend who's willing to sell me his Radeon 9600 Pro for a good price, so I'll either go with that, or just blow the budget and get a 9800 Pro. Thanks for the help everyone.

18. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

I believe GlockFan4Life is a little upset, guys.

Perhaps that $1,000 he spent on two video cards explains some of it...

What I'd like to know is, why an Athlon 64 FX-53 rig, with a 6800Ultra in an Asus mobo packing 2GB of RAM gets 117FPS in America's Army, and around 70 average in Far Cry....yet this guy's cards seem to invert the results....

Someone cannot tweak a vid card....and it isn't one of us stupid folks!!

This pic says it all...

19. GLOCKFAN4LIFE

GLOCKFAN4LIFE

Maxx u gott issues man.. Relax will ya...

20. GLOCKFAN4LIFE

GLOCKFAN4LIFE

LMAO U GUYS NEED HELP LMAO...