Help save the Coasties!

Discussion in 'US Coast Guard Forum' started by wingsprint, Feb 11, 2010.

1. wingsprint

wingsprint

Disclaimer- I do not read the Huffington Post

Concerned about homeland security?

I came across this article and as a tax payer, citizen and father (Coastie Dad) was horrified to learn that the Obama budget calls for cutting the Coast Guards already shamefully low budget. The Coast Guard is using 40 year old planes and cutters and they are being held together with duct tape! Please help me in spreading the word about Obama cutting the budget of one of only a few government agencies that is actually efficient, effective and dose not waist a penny!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-helvarg/save-the-coasties_b_456063.html

Thank you!

2. jp3975

jp3975

might consider putting that in general discussion.

I dont think anyone reads this page.

3. Mush

Mush

Sir, as a former Coaste we always had little money/equipment/staff, etc. but the mission never slowed down. After Vietnam we had 60 winter coats for 160 shipmates on our winter Alaska patrol (ALPAT) we were unable to find uniform shoes within the two weeks between multiple 3 month deployments. The Captain said wear what ever you can get your hands on. We were going on a month patrol with out any toilet paper. So we did what any red blooded Coaste would do - - we stole it. Navy and Air Force bases have the best supplies. Army not so much. Marine bases were fun to steal from but they had less sometimes than we did so we left them alone. We had the oldest ships/aircraft/weapons and did good service with them. Not that I think this should be so, but it has been so. I was happy that the CG left the DOT but it seems again going to be the Red Haired Step child when the money runs out. It seems some things never change.

But at least your son will be ready for a career in politics or banking..:embarassed:

As to 40 year old cutters, The, still in service, CGC Acushnet was built in 1944 (now 66 years young) by the Basalt Rock Company (always loved the thought of a ship built by a rock company - makes you feel that it will float well........:). When the hull rusted thru we took chewing gum (well chewed) and stuffed it in the hole, let dry for a couple days then scrape off the excess and paint with several coats of paint -- was good for a couple patrols. You did not go past standard rudder because the rudder would stick. If this happened in the ship channel you would be in the channel then thru the mud then back in the channel (as we went in a circle) then back in the mud until you got it un-stuck. But were at sea 300 days that year and repairs were, well - - done later...

Sir I do not wish to make light of your sons situation but you need to go to a higher pay grade than on a veterans board to get some money allocated. There is a long standing tradition of less is more in the CG. At least in my experence.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  4. SF1973

SF1973

Oh how true. I was on stationed on a 30+ year old cutter for 3 years. I was a navigator and could not get money for pencils or erasers! There was a strange sense of pride the CG had in getting by with no money. I remember our admirals constantly bragging about all that had been acomplished with so little. Then came 9/11 and the money poured in. We had no idea what to do with it. Flat screen monitors all around...a 30 year old ship...no joking! That's when I saw what waste in federal govt was all about. Those same senior officers who were so proud of their frugality were shouting "we have to spend that 50k before the end of the quarter..." It was ridiculous. Replacing perfectly good equipment just to "spend it on something so we keep getting funds." I wish I could trust the feds to be guardians of our money, but....