Help rescuing data with Ubuntu pleez-

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by filthy infidel, Feb 9, 2010.

1. filthy infidel

filthy infidel 100% Infidel

I'm helping a neighbor out, he's got all his family's pictures on his HDD (the last 5 years), and the PC won't boot. Gives an HDD error detected message, won't start in safe mode, etc., says a kernel file is missing or corrupted. Neighbor is adamant that he accidentally deleted something. No recovery discs are available....

I loaded this

http://ubuntu-rescue-remix.org/files/URR/iso/ubuntu-rescue-remix-9-10-revision1.iso

and booted his machine with it. This is my very first foray into Ubuntu. How might I get into his C drive and extract his documents? I would like to give this a shot before I yank the drive and put in an external enclosure.
    Thanks very much in advance!

2. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bliksem

I haven't used the Ubuntu version but I have used other Linux versions. Some have an icon that's labeled "My computer" but this a Windows type name that you won't always find in Linux. The hard drive will have a label. When you open it there will be partitions. You may look in the first one and look for a folder with his Windows user name. Open it and you should Windows names and labels on folders. What I don't remember is how the first names and drives are labeled. If there are two CD drives or if the Linux disk is loaded or can be loaded to memory at boot, not later, after it boots you can remove the CD from the drive and insert a blank or even easier if you use a USB flash drive. Copy the files to save to USB flash drive.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010

3. Linux3

Linux3

OK, so you booted the system from a CD.
    Is the drive a SATA or PATA? Sada is thin cable, PATA is the ribbon.

Older system lets assume it's a PATA drive.

Open a command shell
    Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal

In the shell type:
    sudo fdisk /dev/hda <enter>
    If it can't find the disk then you have a SATA disk and type:
    sudo fdisk /dev/sda <enter>
    The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 30401.
    There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
    and could in certain setups cause problems with:
    1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
    2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
    (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Command (m for help):p <enter>
    You will now see the partitions on the first drive.
    There may be more than one because of backup partitions etc.
    Look for the biggest.
    Lets assume the #1 partition is the biggest and under system is NTFS.

Command (m for help):q <enter> Q to quit.

Pay attention to these commands and adjust the #1 if your partition is different.

sudo mkdir /foo
    sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sda1 /foo

NORE: Remember, this may be /dev/hda1 or /dev/sda2 what ever the fdisk command says it the biggest partition.

Now:
    Places -> Home Folder
    This opens a Explore type GUI.
    Near the top, where it says 'Location'
    Type in '/foo' Don't forget the '/'
    That's your 'C:\' drive. Look for the pictures.

Plug in a USB drive, a explore type GUI will open.
    Just drag and drop from /foo to the USB drive.

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Maybe I'm over simplifying this(and assuming you know a little bit about hardware)..

Remove drive from computer, put it in your computer, boot, move all important pictures, data, etc.. onto your main C: drive(under windows)... Once you know all data is safely on your PC... burn it to a couple of CD/DVDs. Shut down, remove neighbors drive. Once that is done, try to figure out how to get everything reinstalled(edit, just re-read the first post and saw you wanted to try something else first).

Also, if you have any sort of external backup(hard drive, couple of thumb drives, etc..). You don't need to do all that stuff mentioned above. Boot a normal Ubuntu Live Disk on the borked PC, plug in a thumb drive, move data off of the hard drive, and onto the thumb drive. When you look in the "Places" menu, you should see the "main" hard disk labeled there. You should be able to drag/drop files right off the hard drive and onto the thumb drive. Ive rarely saw Ubuntu not "auto mount" a disk. I've done this a bazillion times... No disrespect Linux3, but you made a mountain out of a mole hill there..

IGF

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  5. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bliksem

I would a think a "rescue disk" would mount the hard drive automatically. Mepis used to do this and so did Knoppix. The newest version of Knoppix I tried would "see" the hard drive but couldn't access the files to copy them. I haven't tried the latest version of Mepis. The Fedora Community Respin 12.2 is one of the few that still mounts the hard drive automatically and allows copying files. It's a big download at 1.7 GB or so and requires a DVD. Accessing the hard drive and copying files from it is very easy. A few clicks will get it.

http://fcoremix.wordpress.com/

Download - 1.7 GB

http://iso.linux.hr/fedora-community-remix/Community-Fedora-Remix-12.2.iso

6. TuxthePenguin

TuxthePenguin

Use ddrescue as a last resort if the drive won't mount.

7. filthy infidel

Ubuntu shows a ton of hdd errors.
    I yanked the drive, put it in a box and connected to my laptop- drive makes a regular noise, shows drive F o bytes used o bytes free.
    When I try to connect I get an 'inpage error'.

Running chkdsk /F right now..... fingers crossed.

8. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

0 used, 0 free.....

I'm guessing your friend is going to learn a hard lesson. Doesn't sound like he accidentally deleted something, unless he deleted everything.

9. filthy infidel

Woot Woot! Chkdisk got it back! I don't know what was lost (not my files), but there are several Gbs of old photos, data, files, etc. I'm 'moving them all up' to my laptop now, going to recopy to an external HDD I bought for them last night, and reinstall the HDD into his box and see if it works.
    Thanks for the help!

10. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Well, if anything was gained, he knows he needs to have backups, and now has a drive to do it...

Now, if the OS doesn't restart, what do you plan to do?

Good job getting this far, I thought his stuff was a goner.

IGF

11. Linux3

Linux3

IGF, guess I'm a little old school. And it's been my experience that a manual mount will work more often than hoping it will just mount.
    Maybe I'm make life difficult for me.
    Looks like all went well anyway. Plus it's a solid way to learn about the value of backups.

"Human beings hardly ever learn from the experience of others. They learn; when they do, which isn't often, on their own, the hard way".
    The Notebook of Lazarus Long.

12. filthy infidel

http://iso.linux.hr/fedora-community...Remix-12.2.iso
    Per Glockguy 24, neighbor's PC is attempting to boot on this.
    I copied everything from the HDD and reinstalled it in the case, same errors, no boot.
    Going to see if the Fedora can get a running GUI enough to let my neighbor double check for any files I didn't get.

Thanks a lot folks!

13. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Fedora is solid.. I'm not sure if its as newb friendly as you might like. Its not hard, but searching out multimedia codecs, DVD Playback instructions, etc.. is not something most windows users are accustomed to doing.

If Fedora hits a wall, I'd suggest trying Linux Mint. It's based on Ubuntu, so it is well supported. Has a nice clean interface, and all multimedia codecs, DVD playback, etc.. is enabled by default. This isn't a huge issue for an experienced user, but for someone who is not using a new OS by choice, it could be an issue..

IGF

14. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bliksem

The community remix of Fedora is similar to Mint in having the 'non-free" stuff already added, making it very easy to get started. It has all of the codecs.

15. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Hmm, didn't know that. That's good info to have.

Personally, I prefer the versions that are a little more chopped down, but I've always had a small spot for Fedora(Fedora 4-5 were the first distros I got to work 100%)

IGF

16. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bliksem

When you boot the Fedora DVD there are some prompts for options. Don't touch anything. Just let it run and it will boot everything automatically. The log in is automatic also, even though there is a log in prompt. Just wait and let the it run on it's own.

17. filthy infidel

I was surprised by the hotdog on the screen, but smiling the whole time as the GUI popped up. The HDD in the neighbor's box makes a lot of racket but it's pretty cool that this Linux sw goes in and grabs the data when MS won't!
    This is going in my toolbox, thanks very much.:cool:

18. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

If the hard drive is making a racket, it may well be bad...

IGF

19. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bliksem

Could see the files on the hard drive? Were you able to copy them to a USB drive or save them them to something else?

20. filthy infidel

Fedora lets me browse around the files, the hard drive doesn't sound 'abnormal' but just annoying to my wife, like me. Chug, chug, chug, etc.