Help, removing paint from the slide

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by grapony, Aug 18, 2019.

1. grapony

grapony

I bought a G43 several years ago from a guy and he had painted the slide roll marks with white paint, nail polish I guess. I left it on there but now have tried to remove it with nail polish remover. Most of it came off but the deep recesses you can still see it. What would you suggest to scrub it out with without scratching the slide? It's also on the mags.

2. RPMSTL

RPMSTL

Acetone and a tooth brush.

Tom-R2 and Jisbell40 like this.

3. jamppp

jamppp

With a tooth pick

4. orangejeep06

orangejeep06

Soak it in brake fluid overnight. It’s an old modeler’s trick, it won’t harm plastic so your slide should be fine.

5. Buckeye63

Buckeye63

image.jpeg
    Handy dandy dental picks

6. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

Nail polish remover is just watered-down Lacquer thinner. Full strength Lacquer thinner will work better and acetone will work better yet and so will paint stripper and Gumout carburetor cleaner spray. MEK (Methyl Ethyl Keytone) might also work.

Better living through chemistry.

You could soak the slide (not the magazines) in Acetone overnight in a small metal container.
    Afterwards, spray your slide with some dry lube.

Don't use acetone on the magazines, but Lacquer thinner will probably be O.K.

Tom-R2 and Just_plinking like this.
  7. littletank

littletank

If you use nail polish remover then it should be the non acetone... The regular acetone type could etch the finish. And with a toothbrush..

8. DrewBone

DrewBone

There's nothing that works as well at removing such paint as spray on "Goof Off Pro Strength Graffiti Remover", which doesn't use any harsh chemicals or produce any nasty smells. You can get it at any Home Depot or Lowe's...just spray on, let sit for a few moments, then use a toothpick to easily remove the majority of the paint, followed by a few wipes with a rag saturated with it - which makes for an easy cleanup of anything residual.

[​IMG]

Mr Meeseeks likes this.
  9. Just_plinking

Just_plinking

Lacquer thinner and a tooth brush would be my advice.

10. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

No. Nail polish remover IS acetone - it used to be called 'Banana Oil" for the sweet smell. I told my wife to not buy polish remover any more, since I can buy a gallon of it for $3.99 and her goofy-girlie stuff is $7.99 for 2ozs.

MEK will remove nail polish, but you may have auto-touchup paint in there. I know that's what I used and I can remove it with either MEK or Berryman's B-12 carb and choke cleaner.

My old plastics-lab notes tells me that lacquer thinner may attack and soften the followers in the mags - be careful.

Auto paints typically laugh at Acetone - especially if it's got a lot of 'wet-look' gloss-ifiers in it.... closed molecular chains 'n all, ya know!

11. Glock 17L

Glock 17L Glock 24 & 26

When I first saw the post I thought Acetone & a Toothpick
    I have used some very tough bath tub porcelain paint before that was tough to remove..
    I have tried that Goof Off + another that barely worked at all on graffiti..

12. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

Brake clean spray would be what I would start with

Americanpatriot likes this.
  13. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

OP,

Be aware that using these solvents can effect the overall finish of the slide.
    The finish can be clouded, there is no fixing that, other than refinishing the slide.

Do NOT use MEK or brake cleaner

14. DrewBone

DrewBone

The only reason I suggested the Goof Off spray to the OP is because it worked perfectly for me at removing the painted lettering and logos from my FN9 slide, grips, and magazine base plates that the previous owner had applied, without being harsh. Using acetone, nail polish remover, and other chemicals is unwise in my opinion, as unintended and undesirable reactions with the surface finish are always possible; 'better safe than sorry.

Now, whether or not the Goof Off product actually removes "graffiti"? I have no experience to share, but will say that paint applied to and baked onto porous surfaces via direct sunlight such as cement, brick, and other textured surfaces may require a product with much more strength along with physical effort to completely remove the paint. But we're not discussing removing tags from bridge overpass columns...

15. paul45

paul45

OP, when you are done post a pic of all the squiggley lines you find on the front of your slide... including the pig nose.

FullClip likes this.
  16. R*E

R*E

How about putting some black paint over the white paint?

wruess likes this.
  17. harold63

harold63

I'd just put a few drops of what you're already, in the letters, and let it sit for a few minutes. While it's sitting, take a plastic paint can cap and cut a triangle out of it. Sharpen the point of the triangle with some fine sandpaper or just make the point sharp with a good pair of scissors. You need a bristle sharp enough to get into the bottom of the letter. This you will have to make 'cause you're not buying it, anywhere. You may have to make a few of them to complete the job, but it won't scratch the finish. The tip of a tooth pick isn't sharp enough to get in the bottom of the letter without sharpening it and then it won't be strong enough, unless you use a plastic tooth pick, sharpened.

YwtfdidsomeonepaintthelettersforinthefirstplaceMMV

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  18. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

I have used MEK for many purposes - and for cleaning metal preparatory to painting it, it is very good and leave NO residue.

I used some just this evening on my K5 Blazer body where I cut (by grinding) through an old body repair and the Bondo in it --- to some hidden rust and needed to make sure the metal was spotless for the new application of polyester resin filler and ultimately new paint.

It is not going to harm an oxide finish, chrome, gold plating, nickel, brass, aluminum, cadmium, lead, silver, antimony, in fact not any metals that I can think of.

MEK is not going to leave a film, but it is going to clean like there's no tomorrow and if you have areas that you don't want cleaned, just stay off of them.

Many people believe that MEK harms a metal surface - and like I said it cleans like a white tornado and it will remove any oils and leftover lubricants from manufacturing, human oils and lubricants that you put on the firearm. The difference from oily to perfectly oil-less may leave a discernible variation in the surface - but there's NO WAY that MEK can actually attack and modify the metal.

A warning - zinc and another like pot-metal in a solution of MEK - all together in the same solution in a glass or ceramic container WILL discolor the zinc. It's a secondary chemical reaction - not the MEK modifying the metals. There will be electrolysis involved.

Zinc is used with Cadmium as a shiny finish for many parts that are not visible from the outside of (perhaps) a Saturday Night Special. Since there will likely be multiple metals in such a weapon, I cannot say if there will be discoloration (which isn't FROM the MEK!) b/o electrolysis or not. Use caution on your throw-away piece.

OTOH - fake 'bluing' will be removed by MEK and inclusively also by using lacquer thinner, PBA, Trich 1-1-1, Perc 2-4-1 and various industrial heated degreasers are harmful to those fake bluing applications.

I would NOT use MEK on too many plastic surfaces, as there are too many open- and closed- molecular chained plastics to tell you one way or the other.

But if MEK removes the finish on your Glock - I would believe somebody sold you a counterfeit.

Use your own discernment. I make no license nor warrant any success or failure for using MEK on anything.

19. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

Just don’t soak your slide in whatever solvent you chose. Remember there is a plastic channel liner living in there which significantly effects trigger pull and functional reliability.

LinuxLover likes this.
  20. harold63

harold63

The solvent wasn't the issue. Something to get the softened paint out of the bottom of the roll marks without scratching was the problem. Heck, a light duty pressure washer would take it all out.