close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

help removing advertising from pc

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Dyno, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Dyno

Dyno

All of a sudden I've got advertising showing on my computer. I can search for something and some related add will open up in an IE window comming from some server. At times the Ad will not be related to what I'm doing or reading. I need advice on what to do as I have no experience with this problem and have little expertice in this area.

My pc uses Win XP HE and NAV 2004. AOL dial-up.

My main concern is that I need to use this pc to pay bills online without having to worry about my personal info being stolen.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Best , Dyno

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

First, although I despise Norton, is it up to date? Have you purchased subscription updates to it since 04? So my first suggestion, is dump Norton regardless of wether it is up to date or not.

Second- http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1 - Install AVG Free Virus Scanner and AVG's Free Anti Spyware tool. Probably one of the best Free Virus scanners and spyware tools there is.

Third, which isn't really much of an option since you use AOL(or use this as your invitation to dump AOL).. Dump Internet Explorer and install Firefox or Opera.

http://www.mozilla.com
    http://www.opera.com

That should fix things temporarily, if you want to think Long term, look into Linux.

IGF

3. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

and you should be concerned. Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware are two programs you need (these programs are free). However, you need to download, install and <i>update</I> them before running them. Also, you really should reboot into safe mode before running the programs (press the F8 key when you computer is booting up to enter Safe Mode).

The first thing I would do is go to http://update.microsoft.com and make sure you have the latest updates for Windows.

4. Dyno

Dyno

IndyGunFreak,
    The NAV is not up to date,however, we are going to switch to the AOL anti-virus for the time being. The pc is not mine ,I share with the family. MS updates have been installed.

----------------------
    David_G17,
    We are running anti-spyware software from AOL. I forgot about that one.
    I will down load the Ad-aware next and follow your advice.

Thanks fellas,I appreciate the help and will post how things go.

Best , Dyno

5. grokdesigns

grokdesigns

Perfect advice, up to date AVG products and Firefox are a good solution. And as was mentioned, make SURE you boot into safe mode before running the scans.

6. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife Senior Member

Use the free AVG Anti-Virus not the AOL.

Spy-bot, and AdAware are great too. I would also suggest CCleaner.

Run THIS before installing any other AV.

7. Dyno

Dyno

grokdesigns,
    I am going slow and will post progress.

DeadMansLife,
    Very good advice on how to remove the NAV
    Spy Bot and Ad aware are first on the todo list.

I may need some more advice before the CCleaner, I'll get back to you.

Many thanks to everyone for the help.
    Best , Dyno

8. Dyno

Dyno

More info on the ad problem

The ads are from an outfit called outerinfo.

When I went to download Adaware a new window opened up and indicated that it was headed to oinadserver,this lasted only a few seconds and an ad for a competeing product appeared in a new window.

This is what happens and is becomming more aggressive although when I X-out that window it stays gone for a while.

If anyone knows anything about this outerinfo stuff please post your thoughts.

I will be working on the problem with the good advice from GT folks here on tech talk and will post my progress.

Best , Dyno

9. Dyno

Dyno

Washington,D.C.,
    It looks like the folks at tomcoyote have a handle on this problem.
    Thanks for the tip , I'll post the results.

Best , Dyno

10. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife Senior Member

While your giving thanks to DC, thank him for all my suggestions. He turned me on to all of them.

:thumbsup:

11. Dyno

Dyno

IndyGunFreak,David_G17,grokdesigns,
    DeadMansLife,Washington,D.C

Thanks gang for all the help and advice,my ad problem is fixed and the pc is running with good speed again.
    The tip from Washington,D.C was spot-on for the problem I had and the fix worked great.

Thanks again,

Best , Dyno

12. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

I.M.O./E.:
    I have tried all the Free, Shareware and several commercial products I had purchased. I have finally settled for Zone Alarm’s products. If you don't mind learning a few things buy and download Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite.

It has Anti-Spyware, adware, malware, Anti-virus, firewall and it takes up less memory and it auto-updates. It has many features and settings to remove and prevent infections and intrusions. You don't have to run it from Safe mode, and it has done well by me. After being a COMPAQ service coordinator I don't see spending time and using hacked up techniques to protect my PCs with freeware.

To me Free = hassles and lots of work.

:thumbsup: :supergrin: ;) :)

13. Dyno

Dyno

Blitzer,
    Thanks for the heads up on Zone Alarm products as it is always good to hear first hand information. At this point everything has been and wiil continue to be a learning experience for me. You could say it's been a wake-up call as to how much I don't know about pc security. All has turned out well so far with the good advice/help from the folks here on Tech Talk.
    I'll keep Zone Alarm in mind ,however, at this time wiil keep the AVG and Spybot along with MS firewall and updates to see how this works.

Best , Dyno

14. Patrick Graham

Patrick Graham Footlong Jr.

I just finished working on a spyware / virus infested system / network for a guy.... Jesus what a mess...

I don't know how infested the OPs system is .. but.. If you are going to use a system for any kind of personal transactions and it is infested.... it's best to delete the partition.. and maybe even do a fdisk mbr.. and start over.. that's the only way to be sure.. I even suggest a wipe to zero.. If the user stuck a floppy in the floppy drive.. even with write protect on.. burn those floppies... If the system was on a network with open shares.. you've got a real mess on your hands... If any backups were created from that system, how do you know they aren't infested?

The zone alarm setup is very good... I use ZA pro... but it needs to be installed on a clean system..

15. Dyno

Dyno

Patrick Graham,
    The clean install and partition delete are very good ideas, however this is where I start to run out of pc know how. I followed the instructions and used the tools I was advised to use . At this point everything seems well. The pc is a HP and they use a recovery partition (D) to reload the OS if need be. I'm not sure if anything can get to that part of the HDD. Not sure about any problems with restore point problems. No network or floppy problems. I have changed all pass words to personal stuff .

Yes, I do need to use a pc for personal bill pay transactions .

Best , Dyno

16. Patrick Graham

Here's a good Microsoft TechNet article on the issue..

Security Management - May 2004 - Help: I Got Hacked. Now What Do I Do?

From the article

Not paying strict attention to system security is how checking accounts get cleaned out, credit cards get hijacked, ebay accounts get hijacked, papal accounts get hijacked and email accounts get hijacked.

There are some very damaged people out there with IQ's at least 50 points higher than the rest of us.. just waited for us to make even the slightest mistake...

17. Dyno

Dyno

Patrick Graham,
    Thanks for the article on Cleaning a Compromised System.

The last time I did a system restore using the preloaded HP fix, the system came back up and looked just as it was before to me. All of the info for example AOL Favorite Places were still there just as before the reinstall of the OS. HP must have a special way of doing this and to me this is not a clean install.

Best , Dyno

18. Darkmage

Darkmage

Meh... The article Patrick quoted is correct, but it misses out on a couple realities of the situation. Like the article said, you really can't trust that system ever again... but you can trust it to a point. The tools and infestations that do the things that the article mentions are very sophisticated and the chances are you are not infested that level.

You can probably reasonably expect to be able to clean your system and restore it to a working condition via the following:

Clean your system (anti-virus, virus removal, anti-spyware)
    Backup your data (copy your documents, Quicken files, JPGs, etc. to CD or DVD) - Note: This is where I disagree with the article
    Wipe the disk (Derick's Boot and Nuke - it's the only way to be sure :))
    Reinstall the OS
    Patch the OS
    Reinstall your apps
    Copy your files back to your disk, virus scanning as you load them.

You can't be 100% sure that your system is trustworthy at this point, but it is IMHO highly unlikely you have re-infested your system by copying those files. It is possible, but the people who can pull that off are few and far between. And the ones who can pull it off will probably have something that will survive a format of the system disk.

19. Patrick Graham

Yep.. Hence the wipe to 0..