close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help Please: SPP'S won't fully seat?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Kwesi, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Kwesi

Kwesi

I've never had this happen after several thousand rounds but last night the first problem (possibly unrelated) was that station #1 wasn't depriming every case. Then when it did properly deprime the new primer is only partially seated. I'm using mixed cases: Win, Blazer, Federal, CCI, etc. All of my primer pockets look the same as always.

I took the shell plate compeltely off to clean as well as the primer slide. The primer cup is tight and the picked up primer is not coming up high enough. For example I can't raise the handle high enough to push a live primer out of the cup to remove it.

I've read the manual over and over and can't find where to adjust the cup so it will push the primer higher.

Please advise!

2. albyihat

albyihat

what press are you using

3. albyihat

albyihat

if it is a dillon which I think I have seen posts from you saying that is what you are using, you should check the rod which forces the powder measure to return to a closed position (part #97000 on the 550). The rod has a little plastic wing nut which will stop the forward movement of the press handle and may be causing the primer seater to not go all the way up. This is just a guess though as I don't know if you are using a 550.

4. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

He's running a Dillon 550B I believe... check you primer assy bar tweek it inward a bit to give it more reach. Very common problem on a 550 primer system. You'll find many a post on BE reloading regarding it.

If I'm right this is a post regarding the issue your having. The operating rod decribed controls travel of the anvil and primer slide. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=115921

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  5. Kwesi

Kwesi

It is a 550. I'm not sure what to adjust though. Everything I've tried has not helped so far.

6. Boxerglocker

7. albyihat

albyihat

Kwesi, start to eliminate the easy stuff first. remove the toolhead so you can see what is going on if you have not already. With the toolhead gone can you now push handle forrward and see primer seater poking up above the shellplate? If not raise and lower handle can you see any spent primers that would impede any motion of priming operation. If not then completely disassemble the primer slide and check that all is working as per spec. although it sounds like you did this already. I know how frustrating it is to have a reloading session interrupted by malfunction. So take a deep breath and be methodical about finding the problem. Keep in mind if anything is broke or not working dillon will make it right.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  8. Kwesi

Kwesi

I hadn't checked that; thanks!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  9. Kwesi

Kwesi

Thanks but the thread seems to be about the cup not picking up a primer. That is not my issue.

10. Kwesi

Kwesi

I'm trying to learn this press as I'm not as handy as many of you! It's all cleaned. I'm going to call it quits and try again in the morning. Thanks again!

BTW: I did call Dillon this morning and they had no answer for the partially seated primers except to say I might have some brass with a different primer pocket than what I'm used to....doubt that though!

11. Boxerglocker

Read that second thread I posted for you... seems like that is your issue.

12. fredj338

fredj338

Make sure the priming cup is fastened into the priming slide. There is a litle set screw. If the set screw gets loose, the priming pin moves while trying to seat the primer.

13. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

14. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Did you read the OP? He's having priming problems. It must be a Lee 1000.

15. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Check to see if you have a spent primer jamming the primer slide assembly. When one gets on the frame just in front of the primer slide assembly it keeps you from making a complete throw.

16. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Take the shellplate off, clean everything including the bolt. Lube very lightly under the bolt head (where it hit the shellplate). LIGHTLY. Tighten the bolt/shellplate (and the set screw). Keep going to the thing binds and then back it off till it doesn't bind and turns smoothly.

17. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Take a look at the parts diagram for the press. In a box next to the press is a parts list and pictures of the primer slider. In that is a height for the cup. I am out of town so I don't have it now.

Primer cup is not your issue from what I can tell. If not set right it will cause priming issues (flipped primers, that type of thing). Primer depth is not about the cup but the punch that goes through the cup. It's not adjustable.

Depriming is a die issue. The question is, have you taken the carrier (don't know the proper name) off. By carrier I mean the big part that connects to the ram and that you attach the shellplate to? If so you need to align it. Have dillon send you the tool. It's simple but you need the tool.

I am pretty sure it's all about your shellplate not being tight. A new machine starts to "wear in" and needs more adjustment. I seldom have to adjust mine now. Dillon does not recommend (or discourage) a small amount of oil under the head of that bolt. I found it helps me get the bolt just a little tighter before it binds.

Tip: When you tighten the bolt it will turn smooth, then you tighten the set screw and it may bind. Just do that and back the bolt off a 1/8 a turn at a time till it doesn't bind when you tighten the set screw. Take the toolhead off to do this, raise the ram, leave the allen wrench in the bolt as you do this. Makes it easier IMHO.

18. Kwesi

Kwesi

Not that as I took it all apart and cleaned.

19. Kwesi

Kwesi

Yes I believe the punch that comes up through the cup is not coming up high enough. I did not remove the part that the shellplate is attached to!

Gonna give it a try again...thanks!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  20. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Sounds like a good time to trade it in on a LNL. :whistling:

Jack