Help picking out a new computer

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Advanced Glock Armorer, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Advanced Glock Armorer

Advanced Glock Armorer

Gentlemen or should I say the computer savvy,

I need your help & assistance. My daughters computer just died, so I gave her my desktop computer. It's described as a Dell XPS 420 loaded with Windows Professional X64, Intel core 2 Quad, CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 8gigs of RAM, ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro, 149gig Hard Drive and a CD Burner.

Now, I have to go out a purchase a new computer. This is where I need your help & experience.
    I want to get a computer that is much quicker than my last one with decent Memory, decent size Hard Drive , & a CD Burner. I plan on using Windows 7 Professional X 64. I would really appreciate a "Spec Sheet" if your not too busy and the type of computer to get? As I'm sure you have all ready noticed, I am computer illiterate.

Thank you all in advance for your anticipated cooperation. You're the BEST!!!

Fraternally yours

Jimmy Ward

2. markieboy

markieboy Senior Member

Do you know what "died" in your daughter's PC? It may just be one component of the PC. Once replaced, it's good as new. It would save you money, too.

What's the main problem? Not booting? Stuck at black screen when booting? Please provide more info regarding the problem.

Just trying to save you some unnecessary expense.

3. markieboy

markieboy Senior Member

4. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

... is this for basic Internet & occasional spreadsheet etc ... or a gamer?

... what's your budget?

5. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

If you're computer literate why don't you roll your own? You can often get a better machine than an OEM for less money if you're careful and savvy. The only thing you give up is "Tech Support" which I put in quotes because they're often not nearly as "helpful" as they might have you believe.

The last box I bought off the shelf was a Tandy 1000.

Hit NewEgg or a similar site and put your dream box together.

Also, don't get too caught up in the "Ultimate" title for Win7 here's a comparison of the diferent flavors:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/default.aspx

The vast majority of even tech savvy users will never touch the "upgrades" from Win7 Home Premium AND there are 3rd party titles out there that do many of the "features" of Ultimate better than M$ can do with their bundled stuff.

6. Advanced Glock Armorer

Advanced Glock Armorer

HK,

I'm not computer savvy at all that's the problem. I wish I knew someone in CT that built computers. Thanks for your help.

7. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Sorry I misread the last line of your first paragraph. I honestly thought you said you were literate, not illiterate.

But, I can give you some advice on saving a few bucks on a decent machine. Check out Dell's refurb site: www.dell.com/outlet

They are factory refurb machines with warranty and often you can get XPS and dimension "workstation" class machines for 50-60 percent off of retail. Something to consider anyway.

I would be happy to help you on a list of hardware for your needs but, you have to tell us what you want to do with the machine and what your budget looks like.

Someone with a 300 dollar budget who needs to surf and send e-mail will have a wholly different set of hardware needs than a studio drafter who uses 3D Studio Max to move 700 megabytes models in real time and has an unlimited budget because he or she makes money with the machine.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  8. Advanced Glock Armorer

Advanced Glock Armorer

HK,

Fields Of Athenry. Thanks for the tip.

9. Advanced Glock Armorer

Advanced Glock Armorer

HK,

I don't do gaming, but I want a really snappy computer with a Great Video card, decent RAM, decent Hard Drive and a great DVD Burner. I like to watch training DVD's and movies on the desk top. And the ability to upgrade RAM in the future.

With that said do you think the above computer is over kill? Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  10. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

High end video cards are really only for gaming.

There isn't a video card on the market right now that won't render a DVD flawlessly on a machine with more than a 500MHz processor. Now, if we're talking about H264 .mkv blue ray rips then you'll need a lot of processor but, video card doesn't give you much. Most of the decoding is done at the CPU not the video card.

A decent Core-Duo (Intel) or Dual-core (AMD) processor in the 2.5 to 3.2 GHz range and 4 Gb or RAM should do you just fine. Hard drive and optical drive are just going to fall into the "bang for buck" category.

For 699 this one is nice: http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnline...emId=0GRB7CD4&~lt=popup&c=us&l=en&s=dfh&cs=22

and it was a "previously ordered" machine which meeans it was never delivered.Good Vid Card, large hard drive, 6Gb of RAM and a 3GHz Dual-Core AMD X64 Processor, Win7 (Home premium) loaded.

You never did give me a price range.

11. Advanced Glock Armorer

Advanced Glock Armorer

Good Morning HK,

I want to get the most bang for the $$$ Figure under a $1,000

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  12. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Then the one I quoted for 700 is a good jumping off point. Hit up the dell outlet or poke around Newegg.com and find the one that tickles you tootsies.

For 799 Newegg has this nice looking box: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229134 with a Quad-Core Phenom 3.2 GHz chip, 4Gb RAM, GeForce 9800 GT 1Gb Video card, half a terabyte hard drive dual layer burner and Win7 Home Premium.

For anoth c-note you could buy: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...220372&cm_re=DDR3_1333-_-20-220-372-_-Product

and put em in there to get you to 8 Gb (Though I really think 4 is plenty, more RAM doesn't equal a faster PC, anymore).

Still well under a thousand, no taxes paid, and Newegg will deliver it in 3-4 days, just like Dell.

Something else to consider.

13. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben

Apple!! Macbook is right at $1,000. I know most people love them or hate them, but those who hate them probably have never used one.

14. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

I don't dislike Apple because of the functionality of their machines, I dislike their products because they are vastly overpriced for the machine you get.

If you're going to get a "non-standard" machine (ie: not a Windoze box) then spend half the money on the same hardware specs and install Linux. Just as user friendly as Mac's offerings (relatively speaking) and a whole bunch cheaper.

I have used Apple's products.

15. Linux3

Linux3

This was an ongoing debate at work. Bunch of Mac heads there.
    Look at a Mac and then spec out a Dell the same.
    Hi Res display, CPU type and speed and such you will find the two to be very close.
    Throw in the freeware, software available for a Mac that costs for Windows and it gets even closer.

Not that I'm a fan of Macs, I aint, but fair is fair.

16. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Here is a 13" mac: http://www.macmall.com/p/Apple-MacBook-Pro/product~dpno~7836991~pdp.ffebjid for $1149

Here is a Sony VAIO:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834117937 for $1199

The Sony has twice the hard drive and RAM, 5 inches bigger screen and a faster processor (2.26 for mac and 2.53 for Sony) and a faster video card (9400M vs 9600M).

So like I said ~twice the machine for the same price.

Fair is, indeed, fair. That comparison took ~5 minutes. I could probably have done better given a real interest in the debate.

ETA: I did suggest Linux if one didn't want Windoze ... How much does the software cost for that platform?

17. Detectorist

Detectorist

I agree. Most of the 'refurbished' computers on the site have minor scratches/dents or have been returned for reasons other than computer problems. Lots of folks order systems and then can't afford them. I've gotten some great deals there.