close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

HELP!! PC Problem...Connectivity.. (moved from GNG)

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by LAWDOGKMS, Jun 22, 2006.

1. LAWDOGKMS

LAWDOGKMS

I'm sure someone on here can give me some good advice on this issue..

-I have a Dell Dimension 4700, w.2.8 ghz processor etc..( 1 year old and pretty fast)

Never have had any problems, keep it protected and updated to the max..

-I recently took my Firewire card out of the PC to make room for a Win-TV Card for copying and editing some old VHS movies.. I only had 3 PCI slots, and there is only one extra for accessories.

It worked like a charm!!

-Tonight, I took the Win-TV card out, and put the Firewire card back in, to download some video from my digital video camera, and it is working fine...

HOWEVER, I have now lost all internet connectivity pn this PC..

On reboot, I get the twin monitors with the exclamation point in the tray, and when I click on them I get: "Limited or no connectivity"

My cable modem is working fine, because both my laptop and the PC at the other end of the house have strong "wireless" connections..

My main PC just won't pick up an IP address..

I tried the Winsock fix at the Microsoft site..on a recommendation

And the LSP fix as well..

I even removed the (Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection) via the device manager, rebooted and let Windows install it again..

I continue to get the same response:

"Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be complete:
    Renewing you IP address"

I even tried:

CMD
    ipconfig
    ipconfig /release
    then ipconfig /renew

I turned the firewall off, then back on and back off..

I took the router out of the loop as well, running the network cable straight from the modem to the pc....

I've even considered reinstalling XP if I have to..

I don't know what else to try..

I've got to have this PC up and running, because it is my main PC I work from and do schoolwork on..

Any new ideas/advice?

2. LAWDOGKMS

LAWDOGKMS

CONTINUED:

If this will help, this is what I get when I RUN:

CMD
    ipconfig

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Autoconfiguration IP Address.....: 169.254.119.186
    Subnet Mask......................: 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway..................:

I even pulled the network cable out of the PC and stuck it in the back of my laptop, and got a great signal and connection..

It's as if the "Port" on the PC isn't working, or is conflicted with something else..

I don't know what else to try....:freak:

3. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

4. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Oh yeah when you unplug your PC,disconnect the ethernet cable.

5. rsagona1

rsagona1 Hello

Open Command prompt.

Run a trace route to the router to see if that connection is succesful.

tracert 192.168.1.1

If it says trace complete then the problem exists after the router, the data packet is lost past the gateway.

So run the above command and post back what it says.

Sometimes what can happen (and I didn't know this before someone told me) is you can have a succesful connection to the router, but the internet will not work and you might think it's the computer. But many times the connection is lost at the router.

6. LAWDOGKMS

LAWDOGKMS

7. LAWDOGKMS

LAWDOGKMS

8. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Was this with or without the router?

9. LAWDOGKMS

LAWDOGKMS

With the router...

FYI:

This morning, just for grins, I used a Linksys Network Cable to USB port adapter that I bought and never used before, and upon restart, I got an internet connection through the USB port from the network cable.

I then went into Network Connections, and chose to delete the other ethernet-only network connection. The PC then told me I had an error, and I then lost the connection on the USB adapter as well.

I tried to restart again, and before it shut completely down, the PC went to a Blue Screen full of text (can't remember exactly what it was) something along the lines of a conflict of some sort, and the fact that the computer was now going to do a "Memory Dump". Then the power supply fan started spooling up like a jet plane, spinning very loudly,and I forced the pc to shut down by unplugging the power cable, as nothing else would work. (not even holding the start button in)

While restarting I got a message that Windows XP had just recovered from a "serious" error or something along those lines.

I went back into Network Connections, and there was no connection there at all, not the one via usb or the ethernet.

I plugged the network cable back into the PC's ethernet port, chose the option to install a broadband connection via ethernet, it found an IP and I'm up and running again!!

Thanks for all the replies..

I still have no idea what went wrong....any ideas anyone?

10. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Not really, but as long as you are running again I'm not going to worry about it too much.

I was asking about the router because normally your computer's IP address should be between 192.168.1-255 if assigned by the router. Glad you worked it out.

11. Laramie In MT

Laramie In MT

Had a similar problem. I have a Dimension 8300. I installed a Win-TV card and moved the firewire to a different open pci slot.

I lost connectivity and had no idea what was going on. I still had tech support on my dell so I called and after a very LONG conversation the guy had me change something within the "win sock" or something like that. I don't remember but never had the problem again.