Help! Our puppy just discovered the joys of Litter Box Diving!!!

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Sta. 18, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Sta. 18

Sta. 18 Modern 'tater

I know it's a great source of tasty doggie treats, but....

Any hints for stopping this????

2. joker1

joker1

Some dogs find these delectable treats irresistable. Very hard to break so you might try moving the box up on to something the dog can't reach. When the dog gets bigger than the cat put the box behind a small cat door that the dog doesn't fit through. Good luck.
    (By the way the proper term is "smoking a turd"

3. Spen84107

Spen84107

We had a very hard time controlling this with our puppy. We finally found a "odor control" litter box. In order for the cats to enter this box, they have to crawl under the lip, and up into the box. (Does that makes sense? Hard to describe) We faced the box parallel with the wall, facing a desk. It makes it very difficult for the dogs to get into because they aren't quite as agile as the cats. That's about the best we've discovered after going through 3 different style of litter boxes.

Here, I took a picture for ya. Good luck!

[​IMG]

Edited to add: I don't know that it will help with small puppies, or extremely determined puppies, but might act as at least a mild deterrent.

4. AAshooter

AAshooter

Nothing is worse than extending your hand, telling your dog to "drop", and having Roover drop a nice, moist pile of cat poop in your hand.

That is a tough one to break. I have been working on it for about 9 years. Good luck.

5. Dandapani

Dandapani

6. Sta. 18

Sta. 18 Modern 'tater

Thanks for all the suggestions. We'll probably go to Petco & look for a new litter box.

There's also a powder which can be sprinkled on cat and dog food, which makes their waste unappealing to the pooches. I think I might order some of that.

Thanks again.

7. Dandapani

Dandapani

Hey, if you a specific product, please let me know what it is. We have a new puppy that is a consummate poop-eater! He runs all around the yard looking for my other dogs' poop to eat. My wife and I are constantly picking up poop to keep the pup out of it.

I guess the breeder kept 12 pups (two litters) together in a box stall with wood chips and the pups learned to sniff out and eat poop.

When we first got him, as someone had posted on another thread about their puppy, our pups breath smelled like seven kinds of ash. Now I know why. Poop-eater breath! Now it smells like only one kind of ash.

8. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Helpful tip, Accent Meat Tenderizer is what y'all are looking for, works really well and the cats seems to not mind the taste. If the Accent doesnt do it, go to health food store and get Kelp (seaweed) pills and sprinkle on cat food. Give the Accent at least 10 days though.
    For you guys with older pups (10 weeks and up), that is usually a nutritional problem and your pup is asking for better food. Something along the lines of Nutromax or Solid Gold if you can find it locally is awesome. For those of you having a tough time breaking dogs of this switch your dogs over to Solid Gold and within a month or two it will be done.

9. W Turner

W Turner

I can't remember where I read but I have heard one explanation for why dogs do this....

Cats are pretty much the only mammal whose diet is 99.9% meat. Even dogs eat grains and grass from time to time on their own. The reason cats have a diet like this is because of their unique body chemistry which requires that they ingest large amount of Taurine (an amino acid). Taurine is only found in meat. When cats eat this much meat and their body processes it, the result ends up smelling just like regular old meat to dogs. When a dog eats it, he truly beleives that he is eating a treat and doesn't understand what is so bad about it.

I don't know how accurate this is, but I have noticed that even though I will se my dogs "grazing" in our yard from time to time, I have never seen our cat eat anything other than her food, animals she has killed (mice and moles) and meat scraps that we give her.

Wow, that was a long run-on sentence.....oh well.

Bull

10. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Good info Bull,
    I guess thats why a meat tenderizer works so well for these cases...
    Thanks for the knowledge :)

11. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

I got a couple litter boxes your pup can come clean out at my house Sta.18......;f

I think Bull68 has hit it on the head, the fact they eat the cat dung is because of the cat's meaty diet.......((makes me gag thinking about it));P

Sta.18, the top entry litter box sounds like the ideal set up at this point......I have seen those in Cat Fancy's magazine......and you can look into it on Cat Fancy's website.....(click on classifieds)

www.CatFancy.com

Good Luck!!!

12. Berto

Berto woo woo

13. Sta. 18

Sta. 18 Modern 'tater

Click here for "Dis Taste" from Drs. Foster & Smith.

* Helps stop stool eating behavior
    * Makes feces taste awful to dogs
    * The most effective product on the market

This easy and natural way to stop stool eating will quickly help put an end to this disturbing and potentially dangerous behavior. Many diseases are transferred through feces. Dis-Taste keeps your dog from eating stools. Veterinarian-formulated from pure, naturally-fermented vegetables, these easy to use tablets or granules make feces taste awful to dogs. Vegetable extracts pass through intestines and react with stools to make them so unpalatable that dogs turn away. Try Triple Strength Dis-Taste® for the most habitual stool eaters. Can be used continually without harm. Feed in tablet form or sprinkle Powder onto food. For dogs only. Not for pregnant or nursing animals.

Feed in easy to dose tablet form or crush to mix with food. In problem cases, can be used continually without harm.

In addition, we recommend increasing the physical activity of your pet and feeding a high quality diet to assist in controlling this behavior.

I just ordered some. I hope it works!!!!

14. Sta. 18

Sta. 18 Modern 'tater

Our cat is a little on the large side and not the most active. I don't know how she would do with a top-entry litter box. But thanks for the suggestion, Peachy!! I think one of them fancy self cleaning ones might work (the ones which move the waste into a little enclosure).

If the Dis-Taste doesn't work, I'll probably try the meat tenderizer (I'll bet that's what's in the Dis-Taste:cool: ) Thanks for the suggestion.

We feed our pup Drs. Foster & Smith puppy food, which our vet suggested, so hopefully she's not under-nourished.

I'll let you all know how the Dis-Taste works out.

Thanks!!!!

15. Sta. 18

Sta. 18 Modern 'tater

Correction!!!! The proper product to feed to cats is "For-Bid" Link

I'm glad I read the FAQ for Dis-Taste!!!

Sorry for any confusion this may have caused.

16. Patricia

Patricia Wild at heart CLM Millennium Member

Yep, our doggies go litter box diving too. My husband calls them little kitty almond roca bars. ;g Where did you find the box pictured above? Looks like the perfect solution.

17. Spen84107

Spen84107

I believe it was Petco that we found this at. It's called a "Booda Box". I found the link.

Booda Box