Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that some people here have voiced their concerns about the "cheaper" AR's in 308, but I have a line on a pretty good looking DPMS 308 for $999. Has less than 50 rounds through it and apparently the owner traded it (with cash) for a HK MR308. Looks to have a troy rail and muzzle break along with a SOPMOD stock on it. I'm sure I will get a couple of people saying don't do it, but I'm simply trying to see if this is a good price for this particular gun. I attached a picture. Thanks guys! :wavey:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
42,185 Posts
I had one about six years ago. Had a lot of magazine problems. Buy PMags and you should be fine. Mine also did not like to cycle mil-surp ammo

·
Who?
7,957 Posts
What do you want a .308 AR for?

Shooting long range? Fun? Hunting?

There are an awful lot of .308 rifles I would buy long before a DPMS.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hunting mainly. But obviously for fun as well and the local gun club up here has a 300m range, so not too long of shots. Just recently moved up to the mountains and I've been asking around and apparently there's some pretty decent sized game up here.

·
Who?
7,957 Posts
Hunting mainly. But obviously for fun as well and the local gun club up here has a 300m range, so not too long of shots. Just recently moved up to the mountains and I've been asking around and apparently there's some pretty decent sized game up here.
Buy a bolt action.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Buy a bolt action.

I really want a semi-auto 308. But if I had to pick a bolt action, I want it to have a standard type detachable magazine. I've been waiting for the Mossberg MVP in .308 but apparently they aren't going to be out for awhile. I was looking at a Remington 700, but I'm not paying $300 to make my gun accept detachable magazines and an extra $80 per accuracy international magazine. I don't want to drop $1400 on an M1A and have to spend another couple hundred bucks on a stock I like. I don't trust the FAL/HK clones. I can't find what I want. This seems to be the best option right now.Plus, It'll be years before I save up for the LaRue I want.

·
Who?
7,957 Posts
I really want a semi-auto 308. But if I had to pick a bolt action, I want it to have a standard type detachable magazine. I've been waiting for the Mossberg MVP in .308 but apparently they aren't going to be out for awhile. I was looking at a Remington 700, but I'm not paying $300 to make my gun accept detachable magazines and an extra $80 per accuracy international magazine. I don't want to drop $1400 on an M1A and have to spend another couple hundred bucks on a stock I like. I don't trust the FAL/HK clones. I can't find what I want. This seems to be the best option right now.Plus, It'll be years before I save up for the LaRue I want.
Savage has reasonably priced bolt actions that take detachable magazines from the factory.

If you want a semi-auto that's not going to be a "precision" gun, look at an FAL or a PTR-91. There are well made clones for around 1k.

If you have to have an AR-pattern in .308, look at the new offering from S&W. Stay the hell away from DPMS.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where could I find some of the good FAL/PTR-91's?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Plus, It'll be years before I save up for the LaRue I want.
Not to mention the wait time after you order, with some folks claiming two year waits now.

I haven't had any problems with my DPMS and Fulton .308s, but the DPMS 308s are notoriously tight. That is not a bad price. Check and make sure it has a 7.62x51 instead of .308 barrel. If the guy has already replaced the commercial extension with a good milspec tube, that is another thing you won't have to do. There are also several options for aftermarket HP/MPI bolts and NiB carriers now.

1,565 Posts
Bad mouthing a DPMS is like a Chevy guy knocking a Ford. If you want a Ford, go ahead and drive one.

DPMS is a fine rifle. Many people love them. I own two, as well as PWAs, Colts, Bushmasters, and others.

If you have a gun that shoots, and hits targets, what more do you want it to do?

My DPMS 308 has never given me a single problem, one of my favorite guns.

sent from my rotary wall phone

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a DPMS LR308 AP4 in .308 that is is one of my favorite rifles.Accurate as hell,and has never had a single malfunction.The only thing wrong with it when I got it was the trigger,which really sucked.Replaced it with a JP Tactical Trigger,and it is now a joy to shoot.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
About what kind of accuracy are you guys getting out of your 308s?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have a DPMS LR308 AP4 in .308 that is is one of my favorite rifles.Accurate as hell,and has never had a single malfunction.The only thing wrong with it when I got it was the trigger,which really sucked.Replaced it with a JP Tactical Trigger,and it is now a joy to shoot.
My experience also with DPMS, AP4- .308.

They seem to like heavier projectiles though, 168 gr is good.

My personal best is with PPU match grade 168gr, .850" groups at 150 yards.

I know it's not that impressive...

I think I could do better and would also like to try it out farther when I get a chance.

I just wish it was a little less expensive to shoot.

Oh well, ammo seems to be going down a bit.

Cheers

ILB

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have worked with a couple DPMS LR308's, one an AP4 and the other a LR308B. Both were trouble free but has been mentioned the triggers suck big time (but then most AR triggers regardless of caliber or manufacture suck big time). I did quite a bit of accuracy testing with the LR308B mainly concentrating on 165gr. Bullets. 45.0grs. of Varget with either a 165gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip or 165gr. Nosler Partition provided sub MOA groups and some of those groups were getting close to 1/2". Also tried were 168gr. Hornady A MAX in the form of Hornady Factory Ammo and Black Hills Gold Factory Ammo. Again sub MOA groups were delivered with the DPMS LR308B.

Personally when I can afford it I would dearly love a DPMS LR308L. I think it would make the perfect semi auto .308 Hunting Rifle.

Larry

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, that's some pretty good accuracy. Anyone else have some input?

·
Premium Member
7,584 Posts
I would avoid DPMS.

Look into the S&W M&P10. Good reviews and S&W won't put their name on junk.

I agree with Plank if your mostly going to use the gun for hunting, get a .308 bolt gun and a nice scope.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would avoid DPMS.

Look into the S&W M&P10. Good reviews and S&W won't put their name on junk.

I agree with Plank if your mostly going to use the gun for hunting, get a .308 bolt gun and a nice scope.
I know that people usually claim that DPMS is junk, but I can't find a single bad review of one of their .308s.

·
Premium Member
42,185 Posts
Google search "DPMS LR308 problems"

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Google search "DPMS LR308 problems"

About 90% of the problems are magazine related, which DPMS fixed. Another 5% are extractor problems, which is a easy fix, and the other 5% are user errors problems. I'm not trying to argue here, but i'm not exactly getting the "run away" vibe from these "problems." I know there are probably some royally ****ed up DPMS 308's out there, but i'm just not seeing anything serious. Besides the normal "DPMS is Junk" things, are there any repeated major issues with their 308s? Double feeds and things like that are almost always magazine related and don't really concern me too much.

·
Premium Member
42,185 Posts
Very true,.......like I suggested earlier, buy PMags

1 - 20 of 28 Posts