Help! New scope advice needed

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by BriGuy618, Feb 17, 2016.

1. BriGuy618

BriGuy618

I am interested in your thoughts and opinions in reference to a new scope purchase.

This week, I bid on and won a Ruger Precision Rifle (308 WIN). Didn't really plan for this outcome, as I thought that I made a lowball offer, but I now have to deal with the more expensive problem of shopping for glass.

So, I am thinking Vortex Viper PST series. I have historically bought Leupold, but I'm thinking the Vortex would be a nice pairing for the RPR.

I'd love a Nightforce, U.S. optics, but that just seems like overkill for an entry level precision rifle that may/may not get upgrades in its life.

Budget: $750-1100 (can do more, but case for it must be compelling).

Purpose: Paper/steel plates

Distance: < 600 yards.

Shooter: Novice/occasional, but competent. Eyesight is good, but getting tired.

Serious advice and discussion would be very much appreciated. - BNK

2. moeman

moeman

Good choice So! Check out Burris too, owned by Beretta, lifetime warranty...

Own all three of the above companies and I start with Burris ... Vortex and Leupold are fine too... The precision in scopes today is a benefit to all consumers...

Don't even think you need to spend the bottom of your price range for a good hunting scope...

3. BriGuy618

BriGuy618

Thank you for the reply! I will consider Burris, too.

4. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

PST glass is ok but lack of elevation may bite you in the future.

Vortex HS-T is very similar with lack of illumination and same elevation but a low cost option.

Either will get you to 1000 yards, my HS-T has gotten me to 1600 with a 20 MOA rail and a flatter shooting cartridge.

Near your price range is both the Burris XTRII and SWFA 5x20 HD.
    Both well regarded wont hold you back.

5. BriGuy618

BriGuy618

Great st
    Great stuff to consider -- thank you!

6. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

In that price range I would think a clean used Leupold is a great choice.

7. plp

plp

You may want to look at Primary Arms as well. They make a good product at a good price.

SJ 40 likes this.
  8. BriGuy618

BriGuy618

Great! I've never heard of them, but I will look them up.

9. BriGuy618

BriGuy618

I appreciate everyone's feedback here. Last night, I started looking into Nightforce SHV. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with them?

10. GWG19

GWG19

Gun Werks use the Nightforce scopes on their rifles. They are a long range rifle builder. Check them out. www.gunwerks.com

11. ctfireman

ctfireman

I really like Vortex optics. I have them on EVERY rifle i own. From crossfires to vipers. They have all been nothing short of awesome. On the RPR, if you go with the 50mm objective you'll need extra high rings. For mine two different brands of extra high weren't quite high enough. I ended up using warne tactical. Enjoy the rifle, i love mine!

SJ 40 and BriGuy618 like this.
  12. cybercycle

cybercycle

I'm sure you will get a good number of recommendations...it's almost like the "oil" threads on the auto forums. Like you, I've almost always used Leupold scopes. Recently, I added a scope to one of my varmint rifles and just didn't want to spend Leupold prices on a rifle to shoot coyote's at 100 to 150 yards. So, I tried a Redfield and was surprised at the quality, the amount of light it picked up and sight picture. I've also used Burris scopes with great success. Let us know what you decide.

13. Ranger pilot

Ranger pilot

For a .308 any 10x will work fine from 100-1000yard. I like the glass on night force but most of them are outside your high range for price.

I would recommend a good 20moa rail (I like badger or seekins). Make sure it is at least a 30mm tube so you have enough elevation. As a personal preference I like second focal plane fixed sights. If you are looking at a variable magnification scope consider front focal plane. Every manufacture has different eye relief so do a hands on check of the scope to make sure the eye relief puts you in a comfortable shooting position.

For example I like the bushnell elite tactical but hate the eye relief.

Also I prefer external tactile adjustment knobs. And for newer shooters a always recommend that if you have a mil reticle have you evelvation and windage in mils or same with moa.

For the money I like the leopuld mx4.

BriGuy618 likes this.
  14. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

This post is good to get you "focused" on what features you want :)

Me, I like MOA turrets with a mil dot reticle, because the formula is easy and I already think in MOA with all my other scopes' turrets. Others, they might want milirad turrets with mil dot, so units and estimations are easier with both being in the same units.

I never saw a MOA reticle I liked. Since I spend all the time actually looking through the scope, the reticle is important.

Some like the reticle to change size as you zoom in and out, so size and range estimations are easier, I, however, like the reticle to stay the same size in the scope, to help with seeing the reticle on the target.

Some like fixed power for increased ruggedness and decreased price. I like variable power because I like to zoom in, but want to be able to zoom out too!

Since it is your money, think about what preferences you have. If you are unsure, then look at scopes in person and compare.

BriGuy618 likes this.
  15. BriGuy618

BriGuy618

Thank you for the details above! I am definitely going with 50mm minimum, maybe 56mm. I am leaning more towards top of my budget for Nightforce 5-20x56m or 5x14x50mm. I think I can get one of those for between $1000-1250. Think it's worth it?

16. jp3975

jp3975

BriGuy618 likes this.
  17. BriGuy618

BriGuy618

18. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

I just put a Burris C4 4.5x14 on my AR, but dont have it sighted in yet. I can tell that the optics are top shelf, and I'm looking forward to not having to screw with mil-dots or holdover.

19. Ranger pilot

Ranger pilot

When you say 50mm or 56mm that is the objective size. I typically shoot a 50mm. I have also had good luck with 40mm. The thing to keep in mind with the objective size is clearance from the rifle itself. The problem with a bigger objective is it requires taller rings. The basic rule in mounting a scope is you want it as low to the rifle as possible.

Also in raising the height of the rings it can change your cheek weld for proper eye alignment.

Those at just things to thing about. I have never had any issues rubbing taller rings to accommodate a 50mm objective. Most of my long range guns have an adjustable cheek rest. You can also buy a cheek pad pretty cheap.

When I said 30mm I was refer get to the tube size. The three most common sizes are 1 inch, 30mm and 34mm. In most cases the bigger the tube the more elevation and windage you have. 30mm works well out to 1000yards in most cases. I will have to look at my shooting logs but off the top off my head I want to say if you have 100moa of travel on a 20moa rail you will have no problems ever (anyone with exact numbers please feel free to correct me).

As for night force in that price range, if you can get it go for it. I would just say look through the glass make sure it is clear. Ask to look through it outside. The look at something about 600-1000yards away and see if the mirage manageable.

Also forgot to mention on my first post. Adjustable parallax is a must for shooting past 300 yard. I like side parallax, but know a lot of people who are happy with front parallax adjustment.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  20. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

What I have is Leupold 8.5-25. Good clear glass, but the side focus is a bust, very difficult to adjust where focus is on and parallax is out at the same time.
    A friend uses Nightforce. Unless you are entering unknown range competition where the side focus is convenient when changing ranges frequently and shooting from odd positions, look at their Benchrest models with adjustable objective and lower prices. I max out at 25x and would choose the 8-32, but if you are real steady, they have a 12-42X.

Price: If you put a $1500 scope on a $1000 rifle, you are not going to wear it out looking through it and it will serve well when you upgrade to a $4000 rifle.

Ranger pilot likes this.