close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help needed from Harley owners, please

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by Islander-11, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Islander-11

Islander-11 Meat detective

I've got a chance to buy a 1987 H/D 1200 Sportster. The bike has just over 10,000 miles, looks pretty good and runs great. It's been garaged for most of its life and there's a little surface rust on the rear seat bar. The bike has two gas tanks. The larger tank is on the bike right now. This one has two seperate gas caps.

A friend of mine who knows bikes took this out for a drive last week. He said it's in great shape. The tires are new, the brakes are good and the transmission worked fine.

I guess that I'm wondering if you think $3,500 is a pretty reasonable price for the bike. Sorry that I don't have any pics to post but I'll work on that.

Thanks in advance for any advice that you might be able to offer!

2. 87vert

87vert

take a look on craigslist, ebay, cycletrader and see what other bikes of the same model are running. Should give you a good range.

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Many many moons ago, I had a 1990 883 Sportster. It was a terrible bike. The brakes were worthless (Harley brakes aren't exactly great in the first place, but these things were even worse than the average), they were grabby, gritty and didn't exactly slow the bike down much. It was also leaking oil like there's no tomorrow. Headlight would sometimes dimmed without reasons. Starter motor burned out. I had to stomp on the shift lever to get it to downshift.

I don't know when Harley quality began to improve drastically but if you could, stay away from the 1980s ones.

4. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

The 1200 didn't come out until 1988. It's either an 1100 or a 883 converted to 1200. Good deal, since the conversions are usally a little quicker that the stock 1200. HH

5. tehan2

tehan2 NRA & GOAL

Brand spanking new the bike was $3000 in 1987. I understand that for quite a few years good used Harleys were getting a premium price. Not anymore.

While $3500 isn't theft, it's not a good deal. I live a boat ride and an hour away. On craids list Boston right now there is a '78 FXE (shovel head, big twin) for $2888. That is a good deal. $3500 for an 883 thats 20 years old, not a good deal.

I'm selling my FLST, all custom, with close to $30K into the bike. But it's 17 years old. I'm looking to get $10,000 , and figure I'm going to sit on it 'till it warms up a bit and someone see's it and wants something like that.

So, to answer your question, $2500 is a great price, $3000 is OK, $3500 may be too much. But, without seeing it, only you can decide what you're willing to pay.

edited to add:

I misread your post, you said it's a 1200. So I'm guesing it's an 883 "punched out" to 1200. that adds a few bucks (but not on paper- because it's still an 883 by title)

6. Islander-11

Thanks for the responses, guys. I ended up getting it for $2,000. My thinking is that I'll ride it for the summer and then use it for trade-in fodder for that sweet looking Nightster!!!

Again, I appreciate your help, folks.

BTW - it is the 1100 - my bad...

7. tehan2

tehan2 NRA & GOAL

$2000 is a great deal. Ride it for a year or two and sell it for the same $2000. Just some advise though.

It may be differant because you live there, but EVERYTIME I've taken the bike over on the ferry I get a "noise ticket" from your local finest as soon as I get off the boat.

8. Islander-11

Um... I am the local finest! How long ago did this happen to you? Quite a few of our guys ride, so I couldn't see them bothering you. Things have changed for the better over the past four or five years.

9. tehan2

tehan2 NRA & GOAL

a few years ago (maybe 4 or 5) on Nantucket , but just last year on the Vinyard (2 times last summer). It certainly doesn't help that the pipes "echo" inside the ferry as you're leaving.