HELP! My Zev Glock is broke

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by MikeMill, Apr 25, 2017.

1. MikeMill

MikeMill

Alright, so I have a G17 Gen 4, that I've upgraded with a half dozen parts from Zev Technologies. This includes:
    Slide
    Barrel
    Pin kit
    Magwell
    Mag base pads.

This is pretty high end expensive stuff so you can understand my frustration when I rack the slide I'm getting a screeching noise. It sounds like the slide is grinding and dragging hard across the barrel. Also just as of late the slide will not go into battery several times per mag.

I've inspected the slide and barrel and there is no abnormal wear on either.
    Replaced the RSA and still no fix for the grinding noise, but the gun is now going back into battery.

Any advice?

2. greg vanstralen

greg vanstralen

If it's not broken, don't try to fix it?

Skymcd, ginelmore, Glockdude1 and 7 others like this.

3. MikeMill

MikeMill

It is a very unpleasant noise, and really gives me a lack of confidence in the gun as a CCW

4. ShootingRooster

ShootingRooster These are Great Times for Gun Owners!

Even if it's mechanically sound, anything that shakes your confidence is gonna potentially be a liability.

Have you contacted Zev yet? Got a video you could share that has that sound?

Davers and Paul53 like this.
  5. MikeMill

MikeMill

Have not contacted Zev yet, I'll see if I can get a video up here. Looking again I think I found some abnormal wear

6. MikeMill

MikeMill

[​IMG] Unable to get the sound on video but here's some pictures of the abnormal wear on the slide

7. MikeMill

MikeMill

Having trouble uploading the pictures on this platform. I'm going to contact Zev

8. ca survivor

ca survivor

I don't know but if the Zev parts are giving you reliability issues, it sounds like a down grade to me, can you return the gun to its original parts ?

9. Mike-M

Mike-M

Welcome to Glock Talk!
    You should indeed have absolutely NO confidence in your modified pistol. All the aftermarket junk that you installed is for pistols that will be range toys only. You have destroyed, temporarily, its value as a reliable weapon. There is no Glock pistol configuration that is more suitable for serious use as a weapon than one that has all Glock OEM parts in the firing mechanism. That's why the real professionals, those who carry daily in law enforcement, employ all-stock pistols.

Aftermarket stuff you have installed is suitable only for range games, where there are no consequences when pistol failure occurs.

Return your pistol to weapon status by installing the original OEM parts. Or write it off as a game gun only, never ever to be used for any self-defense purpose.

21GlockStreet, G19 DB, CHB2 and 33 others like this.
  10. Frenchman

Frenchman

I agree that the practical value as a CCW is gone, but that's where the agreement ends. There's plenty of parts on an OEM Glock that are easily upgradable without sacrificing reliability and making it a better fighting tool. Also, you can not be serious by bringing up law enforcement as a beacon of competence in firearms matters. (The local cops practice at my range. If you ever doubt if you should carry a weapon, watch most of them shoot. You'll be reminded why you need a gun). Most departments don't customize because a) too cheap and b) liability issues.

11. Bruce M

Bruce M

And how about the departments in which officers purchase and maintain their own guns? Why do you suppose they do not allow officers to add aftermarket parts? And with various tactical teams who regularly utilize high priced guns why would they not let them have a "better fighting tool?" Which do you suppose exposes an agency to higher liability - missed shots because of "inferior" guns or shots that strike the bad guys with a gun with aftermarket parts?

dudel and Phelen_Kell like this.
  12. DrewBone

DrewBone

Are your slide internals and trigger group Glock, or aftermarket?

13. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Liability and how well a gun runs are two completely different issues. This thread is about the latter.

greg vanstralen likes this.
  14. mds1140

mds1140 nothing to see here, move along

You can spend a lot of money improving a glock so much, that it doesn't work anymore

15. MikeMill

MikeMill

glock upper parts kit

ShootingRooster likes this.
  16. eclayton

eclayton

deleted

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  17. BrokenRomeo

BrokenRomeo

Did you install the parts yourself? Is the locking block and pin installed correctly? I would call Zev for help if you're having problems, I have one of their barrels, and it is very high quality.

18. Bruce M

Bruce M

Maybe some grease could be used to help isolate what is making the sound - where it is coming from.

Skymcd likes this.
  19. Cpt.America

Cpt.America

This is not a gun you would use for CCW/Defense.

kiser64 likes this.
  20. bunk22

bunk22

Not so sure Zev Tech will be of help. Their customer service has been sub par in my experience. Now my Zev Glocks were put together by them and have thousands of rounds down range without issue. But pro's built mine. I did order a trigger kit years back and Zev sent the wrong one and getting it corrected out was difficult at best. Hopefully the CS has improved.